News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 08:18:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I used it with my aunt!  (Read 3830 times)

sarahj21

I used it with my aunt!
« on: June 07, 2010, 08:13:19 PM »
This past weekend I was at a party and spoke to a lot of my relatives. Most memorable was my aunt, unfortunately. It was a costume party and we were discussing our outfits. We were talking about what inspired our outfits and I mentioned that for the past few parties I've been to, I've dressed up as a particular pop star, but unfortunately that costume didn't fit the party's theme this time. I also mentioned that I wore it to that pop star's concert recently (many other fans dressed up too!) and then my aunt uttered the worst possible sentence/question. "You know she's a man, don't you?"

Let's not get into this here, but suffice to say that even if I can't call my aunt "wrong" I believe her statement is incorrect. IMHO this pop start is wonderfully talented and I have no time for people who try to distract from that by making things up/repeating rumours.

At first I thought 'what I can I say here to make her stop talking?' but then I realised - an uncomfortable silence would be appropriate! I tilted my head a little and gave her a 'that's interesting' look including a raised eyebrow. My aunt went on to repeat the question, then restate it, and I could tell she was getting flustered. (I'm pretty sure she was looking to start an argument with her initial statement.)

I turned to my uncle (not my aunt's husband, my other uncle) and asked him about his costume. My aunt didn't say anything else so I think she understood that she'd said something wrong.

So, anyway, this is the first time that I've consciously given 'complete silence' and it worked so well that I'd definitely do it again.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
Re: I used it with my aunt!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 05:58:17 AM »
Yay! for silence working like a charm!

I must admit that one of my aunts is in the same category... and silence usually stumps her completely, because 98% of the time she's just looking for a reaction of any description in order to start a fight!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Shortcake

Re: I used it with my aunt!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 03:47:09 PM »
Quick thinking! It was smart of you to not fall into the trap and getting pulled into anargument. I know people like this who are "never wrong". This was the perfect way to handle it.
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana