Author Topic: Celebrities upstaging others' social events?  (Read 12826 times)

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
Celebrities upstaging others' social events?
« on: June 11, 2010, 04:09:07 AM »
This week, Lady Gaga returned to her former high school for her younger sister's graduation.  She wore a really outlandish outfit; several papers were saying it was designed as a snub toward her former school, where she was an outcast because people thought she was "weird."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/agog_at_gaga_style_of_revenge_2ykp1SCjjoABfmp0js6zdP

(Note: the outfit was really outlandish by normal standards.  By Lady Gaga standards, it was fairly appropriate daywear. :))

This reminded me of a story from a few years ago, referenced in this thread: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=18741.0

In that one, Rihanna was asked to leave her cousin's wedding for dressing and behaving in a manner that attracted attention away from the bride.

So my question: if one is a celebrity, and one is invited to a social event that has nothing to do with you, per se: a wedding, graduation, birthday party, etc., what is the appropriate thing to do?  Each of these women seems to be in trouble mostly for carrying what is seen as their "stage persona" into the social arena.  Is that always inappropriate?  Wouldn't their very presence at the event be a distraction?  And how would you feel, if you were the non-famous relative who is the honoree at the event, if your famous sibling/cousin/distant relative came and the event ended up being more about her?

(For the record, I think each of these ladies, if their behavior was as reported, acted inappropriately.  Gaga would have made even more headlines if she had worn a sweater set and a simple skirt, though.  I wonder if there was a way for her to win.)

Reika

Re: Celebrities upstaging others' social events?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 07:00:18 AM »
In this case I think Lady Gaga could have just toned down the quirkiness (keep the outfit, lose the hat or wear one that was a little less dramatic) and keep deflecting any attention on her back to the honoree.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 07:34:59 AM »
I think there's a time for vamping it up, but someone else's big day is not it. It is possible to be famous and attend a non-celebrity event without turning the day into your show.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

penelope2017

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 07:44:03 AM »
If she didn't dress this way all the time, I'd see the issue. No matter what she did, people were going to be talking about it. And as the OP said, this is rather tame for her.

I don't really see in this case that the purpose was trying to steal attention from the graduates. The only way she wouldn't have attracted any attention away from the event would be not to go. I don't think that's fair either. And it is the Post, which makes an issue out of everything, in my view.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 07:56:44 AM »
If she didn't dress this way all the time, I'd see the issue. No matter what she did, people were going to be talking about it. And as the OP said, this is rather tame for her.

I don't really see in this case that the purpose was trying to steal attention from the graduates. The only way she wouldn't have attracted any attention away from the event would be not to go. I don't think that's fair either. And it is the Post, which makes an issue out of everything, in my view.

I kinda doubt that, actually.  It assumes that they'd still care enough to focus on her no matter how she dressed.  I doubt that is the case for the majority of people attending.

penelope2017

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 08:06:36 AM »

I kinda doubt that, actually.  It assumes that they'd still care enough to focus on her no matter how she dressed.  I doubt that is the case for the majority of people attending.

I'm no fan of Lady Gaga, but she's probably the top pop star for the high school age group right now (from kids I know). One of those people that even if they don't like her, the kids are fascinated by, and I would say therefore most parents of that age group are also aware of her. Add that to the fact that the sister is in the class, so her appearance was probably discussed and anticipated (i.e. not a surprise showing), and I have a hard time believing people would not be paying attention to her, no matter what she wore.

Especially because I'm sure there was a flood of paparazzi documenting her entry (as evidenced by the Post photo).

It would have been like Madonna showing up at my mid-80's high school graduation. I can assure you people would have been talking about it at the time.  I'm sure people would have noticed a big celebrity even if she was in a business suit, especially because dressing conservatively would have been newsworthy for her.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 10:32:56 AM »
I remember a few years back Sophia Loren stole the show at her son's wedding.   She's still got it, but it would have been a good day not to flaunt it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-477136/Some-mothers-flaunt--Sophia-Loren-upstages-new-daughter-law.html

Still love Sophia though. :-*

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 10:42:09 AM »
On the one hand, she's really stealing the spotlight from the other grads.

On the other hand, she's there for a legit reason, her outfit was pretty ordinary for her, and to be bluntly honest most graduations are a long dull line of walking grads anyway. So long as she was quiet and attentive while the walk was going on, I don't think she's done anything but provide a memorable highlight for an otherwise fairly bland occasion.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 10:48:51 AM »
I think if she had any class, she would have dressed modestly for her *sister's* graduation ceremony.

Just because she normally wears ridiculous clothing doesn't mean she is incapable of wearing an outfit that would have her blend in for one day.  Seriously, she can't be out of the limelight for one day?  ::)
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 10:50:36 AM »
I think a large hat on anyone at an event like this is rude.  There are other people who might like to see the stage.  I can't fault her for going to the graduation though.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 10:59:40 AM »
I think a truly classy person would have gone "undercover", so that afterwards people would have said, "Lady Gaga was there? Where? I didn't see her!" But that, apparently, wasn't on her agenda.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 11:00:54 AM »
I think if she had any class, she would have dressed modestly for her *sister's* graduation ceremony.

Just because she normally wears ridiculous clothing doesn't mean she is incapable of wearing an outfit that would have her blend in for one day.  Seriously, she can't be out of the limelight for one day?  ::)
ITA
Wherever you go.... there you are.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 11:05:53 AM »
I think a truly classy person would have gone "undercover", so that afterwards people would have said, "Lady Gaga was there? Where? I didn't see her!" But that, apparently, wasn't on her agenda.

Bingo.  She's certainly capable of dressing down when she doesn't want to be noticed:

A friend of mine married into the family of a pretty well known rock star.  He attends family weddings, and even those who didn't grow up around him view him as just another wedding guest, because he acts like just another wedding guest.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 12:58:05 PM »
Now, to be fair, she may have insecurity issues, and the wild dressing is sort of emotional armour. Maybe she feels the need to be "in costume" whenever public eyes are on her. But in general, one shouldn't treat one's sister's graduation like a stage performance starring oneself. Being a celebrity actually, to my mind, makes it all the more important to dress down so that eyes are not on you.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 01:25:51 PM »
My coworker and I were talking about this a few days ago, and I told her that if Gaga had showed up with no makeup and a jeans and a t-shirt on, no one would have known would have even recognized her. So, I think that she could have done the right thing here. I do think that her outfit was actually, especially outlandish.

Off topic, but how in the world do you walk in those shoes?!?