Author Topic: Celebrities upstaging others' social events?  (Read 12595 times)

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
Re: Celebrities upstaging others' social events?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 01:35:07 PM »
I think that if a celebrity is invited to someone else's private event, then s/he has the obligation to tone down one's personality so that s/he will not be upstaging the honorees.  To me that means dressing according to whatever is appropriate for mainstream guests in attendance, not "performing" without the honoree's explicit request, not signing memorabilia, not giving interviews, not promoting their own personal causes, not posing for photographs or videos without the honoree's explicit request, not posting photographs or videos of themselves at the event online without the honoree's explicit request, and gracefully and graciously turning attention back to the honorees.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Namárië

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 01:40:15 PM »
My first thought was "At least she wore pants."

If I were a celebrity, I would ask the honorees what they want. Though I would most likely try not to stand out; I dislike attracting notice.
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 01:48:52 PM »
From the outfit, I'd be worried she'd brought her own swarm of bees with her.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 02:06:06 PM »
The problem is (for her) that if she wore normal clothes, normal hair, normal makeup (or no makeup), absolutely no one would know who the heck she is.  She isn't recognizable unless she looks like a freak.  It's her trademark.

It was extremely rude of her to dress that way and call so much attention to herself.  But I suspect she doesn't really care that she upstaged the person she was there to honor.  IT'S ALL ABOUT HER.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 02:12:34 PM »
I do wonder how her sister felt about it. Her sister was in Gaga's "Telephone" video, so I'm wondering if she's as outlandish as Gaga is,.

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 02:30:20 PM »
Other than the hat, i don't think the outfit is that bad at all. .  . if someone has another pic that would be helpful.

I do find it kinda funny that if we ask a normal person to tone it down for a wedding, usually the attitude is you know who the person is expect them to be that person if you invite them, but for a celeb, somehow they don't get the same luxury.

I assume the sister invited her,  if so the sister was either ok with it, or had the chance to talk to her about what to wear.  (I would frown on disrespecting the sister's wishes) it seems sister was ok.

I think the person's behavior also is a bigger deal than the apparel.  Was she "fashionably" late and strutted down the isle with an entourage to all could see her or sit quietly in the back?  Did she cheer an inordinate amount for her sister?  Did she say or do anything rude?   If her behavior was good, then i can't really fault her for dressing normally for her.  I also think it is a bit much to jump to the idea that she is dressing normally as a way to get back at the school, that seems a bit much. 

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 02:38:05 PM »
Well, the rationale in the case of both a celeb and a non-celeb is that we want the honorees of an event to get the attention, and if "being your own person" takes that attention unduly away from the honorees, then "being your own person" is rude.

A celebrity is just that, a public personality who by virtue of being a celebrity gets attention.  Thus, the celebrity has the obligation to tone him/herself down to where his/her presence is not depriving the honorees of their due attention and not make the event about the celebrity through inappropriate clothing or conduct.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 02:39:13 PM »
Here is another one, which is actually the picture I saw. I didn't realize there was another one in the OP:

She looks like she's attending a funeral.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 03:17:37 PM »
OK, who else looked at that picture and thought, "She is going to trip and fall and break her ankle!"

Sheesh.  Sounding more and more like my mother every day.

Everlee

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 03:38:55 PM »
Man she could have just hired someone to go as her and no one would have ever known it.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 05:00:57 PM »
I heard something on tv about that, and from what I understood Lady Gaga's sister was totally OK with how she was dressed and so on. But then I'm not someone who really cares what celebrities do at other people's social events whether they're family or not. I figure if Lady Gaga's sister was fine with it then I just don't understand why the general public even cares about it at all. It's not like it's affecting the rest of us. I do think the way she was dressed was tacky and inappropriate but then it's just not my problem.

I'll never understand being obsessed with celebrities and their lives. ::)

Ed.

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 05:09:33 PM »

I'll never understand being obsessed with celebrities and their lives. ::)

Ed.
I don't understand. Is that statement and eyeroll a commentary on those of us who have chosen to discuss this? If so, I would encourage you to simply skip these topics in the future if you find them so disdainful.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

Wavicle

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2010, 05:27:25 PM »
I don't think celebrities need to hide who they are, but they shouldn't play it up either. I don't think lady Gaga should have gone out of her way to play up her persona, but if she really just wanted to dress funky because that is who she is I think it is OK. Kind of hard to tell from the outside what the intent is. The sister wasn't the only grad being honored, so I don't think her saying it is OK changes anything.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2010, 05:27:57 PM »
I like to think if I were a celebrity I would keep my stage persona totally separate from the way I acted at weddings/at the airport/at Walmart. However, I suspect that isn't a sound business plan for many celebrities. I'm not saying the need to constantly market one's image ("any publicity is good publicity") makes this sort of behaviour OK, just that I think I understand why people do it.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2010, 07:02:31 PM »
I don't think celebrities need to hide who they are, but they shouldn't play it up either. I don't think lady Gaga should have gone out of her way to play up her persona, but if she really just wanted to dress funky because that is who she is I think it is OK. Kind of hard to tell from the outside what the intent is. The sister wasn't the only grad being honored, so I don't think her saying it is OK changes anything.

I agree.  If she wanted to wear it to her sister's party and sis was OK that's completely different.