Author Topic: Celebrities upstaging others' social events?  (Read 12353 times)

Alex the Seal

Re: Celebrities upstaging others' social events?
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2010, 08:18:18 AM »
I don't think celebrities need to hide who they are, but they shouldn't play it up either. I don't think lady Gaga should have gone out of her way to play up her persona, but if she really just wanted to dress funky because that is who she is I think it is OK. Kind of hard to tell from the outside what the intent is. The sister wasn't the only grad being honored, so I don't think her saying it is OK changes anything.

I agree.  If she wanted to wear it to her sister's party and sis was OK that's completely different.

True, actually.

And much as I love Lady GaGa, her reasoning (as given in the article) for choosing that outfit for that occasion was off. Fine at a class reunion, not so much at a graduation.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2010, 12:37:15 PM »
Attention-whore much?

And what did she think that she would accomplish? By looking like a nutball and "snubbing" the school that she attended she proved nothing but that they were right and she is an immature brat. And the current graduating class had nothing to do with her having been bullied for being strange....half of them probably buy her records. So upstaging them for her little snit did no good at all as far as making people sorry for having talked about her. It just confirmed what they had to say.

Better to have shown up in an outfit that was appropriate for the event and having been lowkey and polite for the day....if you don't want to be called weird (or you can't take the heat), then don't be weird. You have the right to look any way you want (and yes, I was one of the "freaks" in school) but there are people who are going to talk. You have to decide how much you're going to let them matter.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2010, 02:21:51 PM »
Attention-whore much?

And what did she think that she would accomplish? By looking like a nutball and "snubbing" the school that she attended she proved nothing but that they were right and she is an immature brat. And the current graduating class had nothing to do with her having been bullied for being strange....half of them probably buy her records. So upstaging them for her little snit did no good at all as far as making people sorry for having talked about her. It just confirmed what they had to say.

Better to have shown up in an outfit that was appropriate for the event and having been lowkey and polite for the day....if you don't want to be called weird (or you can't take the heat), then don't be weird. You have the right to look any way you want (and yes, I was one of the "freaks" in school) but there are people who are going to talk. You have to decide how much you're going to let them matter.

What she said.

dizzygoround

• happy happy bunny
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2010, 05:21:39 AM »
Why does she need to dress outlandishly to get back at her school for the bullying? She's an international superstar with millions in the bank, and her bullies are not; surely that's all the revenge she needs?!

The day was not about her. Upstaging other celebrities on the red carpet is fine (and expected), but this day was about some regular kids graduating from school. For most of them, this would have been their biggest achievement in life thus far, and they deserved to be the centre of attention. Using their day for her own private agenda was just plain selfish and immature, IMO.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2010, 05:44:38 AM »
Honestly, I think if I were famous, I would truly relish the "normality" of such an occasion. Getting to just be me and spend some quality time with my family, without my public persona, would be amazing, and probably a rare occurrence.  It would be nice for the cameras to be pointing at somebody else for a change.  But I guess the difference is whether you're a professional for whom celebrity just "comes with the territory", OR whether you're a fame-whore that lives just for publicity and media attention.

I think a celebrity should be aware of the potential attention-stealing that may happen and ensure that their host is comfortable with them attending (presumably they are if they invited them!) and dress and behave just like any other guest. 

"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

penelope2017

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2010, 06:11:25 AM »
People speculating on her motives should realize that the Post is talking about those motives by quoting unnamed sources and friends. That means absolute zilch in terms of accountability and accuracy.

It's the Post. The paper likes to take a story that's just about nothing and stir the pot.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2010, 06:16:21 AM »
People speculating on her motives should realize that the Post is talking about those motives by quoting unnamed sources and friends. That means absolute zilch in terms of accountability and accuracy.

It's the Post. The paper likes to take a story that's just about nothing and stir the pot.

I absolutely agree. We can't know anything for sure except for the facts, and should comment on the question objectively rather than on the behaviour or motives that a particular celebrity may or may not have had.   

"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Mopsy428

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2010, 10:38:40 AM »
Attention-whore much?

I couldn't have said it better myself!

auntmeegs

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2010, 12:55:54 PM »

I absolutely agree. We can't know anything for sure except for the facts, and should comment on the question objectively rather than on the behaviour or motives that a particular celebrity may or may not have had.   

We don't have to know anything.  We've seen the outfit.  She's got no class and I continued to wonder how on earth this woman even became a celebrity. 

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 06:43:04 PM »
We don't have to know anything.  We've seen the outfit.  She's got no class and I continued to wonder how on earth this woman even became a celebrity.
We do know that she was rather gaudily dressed for a commencement event. We do not know why. There is no proof that she was gaudily dressed to get back at the school. She wears the same outfits to perform on MTV. Is that to get back at the school as well?

As for whether or not she has class, I've never met the woman and I do not follow her in the news so I am unable to comment on this aspect of her personality.

lilacbunny

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2010, 07:20:54 PM »
My opinion, which is worth less than 2 cents, is that Lady Gaga was going to steal the attention at the event just by showing up.  The outfit was tame, by her standards.  (The woman has worn telephones and lobsters on her head, for crying out loud.)  If she had shown up in a pencil skirt and cardigan the paparazzi would have been there, taking her picture, commenting on her choice of outfit, etc.  If she had shown up with a lobster on her head and hot pants the paparazzi would have been there, taking her picture, commenting on her choice of outfit, etc. 

I've honestly never thought of a graduation as a "my time to shine" type of event.  It's been reported that her sister was ok with her outfit.  If I had been a graduate I would have thought it was cool as heck that Lady Gaga was there.  I haven't heard any reports from actual students that they were upset.  And honestly, the only people that care about your graduation are the friends and family you invite.  Their eyes are still on you regardless of what anyone else is wearing.

Every college graduation I've attended has had a whole bunch of crazy, attention seeking mortarboards and I've always just laughed at those and never thought they were stealing the thunder of the person I was there to see. 

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2010, 10:56:05 PM »
PODding Auntie Venom on this one.

And Twik. I've seen her in that beekeeper hat before, and it just freaked me out. I'm afraid of bees.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2010, 08:10:06 AM »
I'd be willing to bet she'll never set foot at an event for that school again, so the reunion thought holds zero weight for me.  I've wondered for several months if she's capable of just being Stefani anymore, as have many of her fans.  Also, having seen the Alejandro vid, her protest could've been much stranger.

jillybean

• Rise and whine
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2010, 09:23:29 AM »
I actually saw the bee-keeper hat as being more of a way to "hide" than as trying to get attention.  Not saying that she was trying to keep her identity a secret but that she was feeling insecure about the situation and it would be comforting to have her face covered so people couldn't read her emotions.  I think maybe some big, dark sunglasses would have been more appropirate and served the same purpose though.
Texas

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2010, 12:31:18 PM »
She's got no class and I continued to wonder how on earth this woman even became a celebrity. 

She's a celebrity because some of us like her music. I don't agree with what she did (as others said, if she showed up in normal clothes with minimal make up and normal hair, no one would have even known it was her); however, the message above feels a bit like a slam on those of us who enjoy her music. She's no Mozart, but she's fun.
The status is not quo!