Author Topic: Celebrities upstaging others' social events?  (Read 12793 times)

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
Re: Celebrities upstaging others' social events?
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2010, 05:12:46 PM »
Really? Because I would immediately focus on the person wearing a giant bee keeper's hat, that is huge and bulky. Shoes are one thing, but a bee keepers hat? If someone showed up wearing an astronaut helmet, I'm pretty sure that would stand out as well.

You would turn your head and make it obvious you were looking at them? For the entire ceremony? You could be distracted by an astronaut helmet for an entire 2 hour ceremony?  I guess I just don't find odd clothing THAT big a distraction.

I mean, I don't even do that for really awesome mohawks  ;D

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2010, 04:56:30 PM »
Graduation Attendee (glancing idly around the audience): *thinks to self* Geez, what is that woman wear...holy cow, is that Lady Gaga???? *elbows friend and whispers* Hey, look, I think that's Lady Gaga!!!
Friend: Oh my gosh, you're right! *elbows other friend and points* Look, it's Lady Gaga!
3rd Friend: CRUD MONKEYS!! GAGA!!! *elbows OTHER friend* Did you know Gaga is here???
etc., etc. until pretty soon most of the audience is focused on trying to spot Gaga, rather than on the graduates.

Is there any evidence that this happened? Because I think that would be more likely to happen if she was dressed 'normally.'

By dressing in the fashion she did, she's easy to spot, the heads turn early, spot her even before she's seated, and move on. They don't have to keep scanning the audience looking for her, or distract themselves from dull speeches by seeing if they can guess where she is sitting.

If she is to attend at all, I think she is allowed to dress in her customary manner. I don't like requiring her to 'tone it down for the norms.' If you're going to do that, you might as well ban celebs from attending any public functions.

Honestly I don't know that she is important enough for them to do that.

I'm making no judgments right now about whether her outfit was appropriate, and also haven't decided whether her dressing normally or normal-for-Lady-Gaga would have attracted *more* attention, but I really think you're massively underestimating the importance of Lady Gaga to this age range/group/etc.

She's going to be a big deal, regardless of what she wears. And in all likelihood, the rumor mill at this school had long before the ceremony gone wild on the possibility of her attending the graduation - it's not like it was a secret that her sister went there, or that she was graduating. I'm going to bet money that a whole bunch of the graduates were *already* primed and scanning for Lady Gaga before she ever showed up.

Aeris I teach that age range and I have one kid out of 150 who have displayed any interest in Lady Gaga.  My kids are mostly into rap.  I don't know what the ratio is at this high school but there are places whre she really doesn't rate that high among teens and young adults.  She was a misfit when she lived/attended there and they mgiht still see her that way.

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2010, 06:09:56 PM »
Graduation Attendee (glancing idly around the audience): *thinks to self* Geez, what is that woman wear...holy cow, is that Lady Gaga???? *elbows friend and whispers* Hey, look, I think that's Lady Gaga!!!
Friend: Oh my gosh, you're right! *elbows other friend and points* Look, it's Lady Gaga!
3rd Friend: CRUD MONKEYS!! GAGA!!! *elbows OTHER friend* Did you know Gaga is here???
etc., etc. until pretty soon most of the audience is focused on trying to spot Gaga, rather than on the graduates.

Is there any evidence that this happened? Because I think that would be more likely to happen if she was dressed 'normally.'

By dressing in the fashion she did, she's easy to spot, the heads turn early, spot her even before she's seated, and move on. They don't have to keep scanning the audience looking for her, or distract themselves from dull speeches by seeing if they can guess where she is sitting.

If she is to attend at all, I think she is allowed to dress in her customary manner. I don't like requiring her to 'tone it down for the norms.' If you're going to do that, you might as well ban celebs from attending any public functions.

I'm making no judgments right now about whether her outfit was appropriate, and also haven't decided whether her dressing normally or normal-for-Lady-Gaga would have attracted *more* attention, but I really think you're massively underestimating the importance of Lady Gaga to this age range/group/etc.

She's going to be a big deal, regardless of what she wears. And in all likelihood, the rumor mill at this school had long before the ceremony gone wild on the possibility of her attending the graduation - it's not like it was a secret that her sister went there, or that she was graduating. I'm going to bet money that a whole bunch of the graduates were *already* primed and scanning for Lady Gaga before she ever showed up.

Aeris I teach that age range and I have one kid out of 150 who have displayed any interest in Lady Gaga.  My kids are mostly into rap.  I don't know what the ratio is at this high school but there are places whre she really doesn't rate that high among teens and young adults.  She was a misfit when she lived/attended there and they mgiht still see her that way.

It's possible, sure. But your most made it sound like that was the more likely situation, and I really doubt that's true.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2010, 06:20:46 PM »

Places where Top 40 radio is the norm, I guarantee the kids know her, whether they like her or not.  She generally has 2 top 40 songs at a time.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2010, 06:29:45 PM »
That doesn't mean she'd get a huge response from the hometown crowd who remember her before her fame. The mystery and glamour would not be the same for them because they'd remember the embarrassing and mundane moments from her life. 

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2010, 07:35:10 PM »
That doesn't mean she'd get a huge response from the hometown crowd who remember her before her fame. The mystery and glamour would not be the same for them because they'd remember the embarrassing and mundane moments from her life. 

I don't think she would, regardless of what she wore, out of respect for Natali.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2010, 01:18:08 PM »

The problem with this is that it's not just the hometown, which actually happens to be Manhattan, that are at the graduation. The crowd is going to be mostly made up of people who did *not* know her, which would be friends and family. And many people come and go in high school, which I would think would be especially true of NYC. Her sister is also 6-7 years younger than her, so most of the people there would not remember her. She isn't going back 2 years later, where freshman and sophomores are now seniors.

I think people are underestimating the kind of response and distraction she would be. I read, last week, that she is the most popular living person in regards to social media (Twitter and FB), and is the first person to reach 10 million fans on FB. As someone who is a fan of hers and does enjoy her music, while I wouldn't be taking pictures or accosting her, I would definitely be interested in what she was doing, and would probably watch her throughout the graduation. It wouldn't be very hard to do, considering how much she would stick out like a sore thumb.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:40:28 PM by jimithing »

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2010, 03:28:06 PM »

The problem with this is that it's not just the hometown, which actually happens to be Manhattan, that are at the graduation. The crowd is going to be mostly made up of people who did *not* know her, which would be friends and family. And many people come and go in high school, which I would think would be especially true of NYC. Her sister is also 6-7 years younger than her, so most of the people there would not remember her. She isn't going back 2 years later, where freshman and sophomores are now seniors.

I think people are underestimating the kind of response and distraction she would be. I read, last week, that she is the most popular living person in regards to social media (Twitter and FB), and is the first person to reach 10 million fans on FB. As someone who is a fan of hers and does enjoy her music, while I wouldn't be taking pictures or accosting her, I would definitely be interested in what she was doing, and would probably watch her throughout the graduation. It wouldn't be very hard to do, considering how much she would stick out like a sore thumb.

Yeah, my Twitter feed would expect info if I said I saw her somewhere, same as the other singers we follow.

Neptune

« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2010, 01:00:50 AM »
I must say, I'm surprised at the number of posters who have given Gaga a pass here.  If she had worn that outfit to a wedding I doubt posters would be so forgiving.  ONE DOESN'T UPSTAGE THE GUEST OF HONOR  In this case that's the graduates.  Just because her sister was okay with it doesn't make it okay-she wasn't the only graduate.  Suggesting they'd all be pleased just to have her there is ludicrous.  I was in a graduating class of 24-our tastes, interests & personalities were quite varied.   She was rude & thoughtless.  ONE DOESN'T UPSTAGE THE GUEST OF HONOR

evely28

« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2010, 03:23:52 PM »
I must say, I'm surprised at the number of posters who have given Gaga a pass here.  If she had worn that outfit to a wedding I doubt posters would be so forgiving.  ONE DOESN'T UPSTAGE THE GUEST OF HONOR  In this case that's the graduates.  Just because her sister was okay with it doesn't make it okay-she wasn't the only graduate.  Suggesting they'd all be pleased just to have her there is ludicrous.  I was in a graduating class of 24-our tastes, interests & personalities were quite varied.   She was rude & thoughtless.  ONE DOESN'T UPSTAGE THE GUEST OF HONOR

For Lady Gaga that is her normal wear. I do think it to be too much of an expectation to invite someone known to be very un-conservative and non-conformist and then expect they will dress according to your standards. There was a thread about dying one's hair blue. Right before an event it was considered attention getting. A while before an event it was considered to be OK and it was just part of them. Lady Gaga would be getting attention no matter what she was wearing. How she dress'es is who she is and no matter the event, her attendance is upstaging all by itself.

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2010, 03:41:28 PM »

For Lady Gaga that is her normal wear. I do think it to be too much of an expectation to invite someone known to be very un-conservative and non-conformist and then expect they will dress according to your standards. There was a thread about dying one's hair blue. Right before an event it was considered attention getting. A while before an event it was considered to be OK and it was just part of them. Lady Gaga would be getting attention no matter what she was wearing. How she dress'es is who she is and no matter the event, her attendance is upstaging all by itself.

Once again- s if my "normal wear" is jeans and an old t-shirt, that's okay for me to wear to my friend's black tie wedding? After all, it's obviously too much of an expectation for my friend to invite me to her formal wedding when she knows I am super-casual, and then expect me to dress according to her standards for her event.

Just because something is "normal" for you doesn't mean it is okay for you to wear it everywhere, to every occasion. Sometimes, respect and consideration for other people demands that you put aside your own preferences and act in a situation-appropriate manner. I'm pretty sure Gaga could have survived without her bizarre getup for one afternoon, to try and make sure that the attention stayed where it belonged- on the graduates.
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2010, 08:42:23 PM »
Once again- s if my "normal wear" is jeans and an old t-shirt, that's okay for me to wear to my friend's black tie wedding?

Firstly, a graduation is not a wedding. There is not a single guest of honor, it is a ceremony with potentially thousands of guests, and once seated Gaga's outfit would not have been any more distracting then a colorful hat or head scarf. Since there is not a single person being honored the dress code must be wide and varied to suit the large number of people there to celebrate their own graduate.

Second, not I did not expect our jeans and t-shirts friends to wear anything other then jeans and a nice shirt to our afternoon wedding, even though many guests were in suits. I would not have hosted a black tie event because so many of our friends and family do not own black tie clothing. I was more concerned with their comfort, then with any need for formality.  So yes, I think it is expecting a lot to have someone with only casual clothes come up to standard for a highly formal event.

Secret

« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2010, 08:06:47 PM »
I think Lady Gaga was in a "You're darned if you do and you're darned if you don't." situation.  If she came outrageously dressed (which she did).  She was staying true to her Lady Gaga persona and giving some people what they'd like to see, especially the paparazzi and her fans and she is staying in her Lady Gaga character.  If she came as herself, she would have been talked about how she didn't dress up as normal and she'd be talked about no matter what she wore, so she probably went "screw it, I'll stay in my public persona"

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2010, 06:49:22 AM »
I think Lady Gaga was in a "You're darned if you do and you're darned if you don't." situation.  If she came outrageously dressed (which she did).  She was staying true to her Lady Gaga persona and giving some people what they'd like to see, especially the paparazzi and her fans and she is staying in her Lady Gaga character.  If she came as herself, she would have been talked about how she didn't dress up as normal and she'd be talked about no matter what she wore, so she probably went "screw it, I'll stay in my public persona"

she wasn't making an appearance for har fans or the paparazzi.  she was part of the fans there for the graduates.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2010, 08:29:23 AM »

she wasn't making an appearance for har fans or the paparazzi.  she was part of the fans there for the graduates.

She said once in an interview that she believes a celebrity should be 'on' all the time in public, for the sake of their fans. So she dresses that way for any appearance, anywhere she goes, even if she isn't a featured/honoured guest. A trip to the mall is an appearance for her.

IDK, maybe she would have dressed down if her sister asked her to, maybe not. But otherwise, she was following her own 'dress code' and not one of politeness.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.