Author Topic: Celebrities upstaging others' social events?  (Read 12179 times)

penelope2017

Re: Celebrities upstaging others' social events?
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2010, 01:16:50 PM »
She's got no class and I continued to wonder how on earth this woman even became a celebrity. 

She's a celebrity because some of us like her music. I don't agree with what she did (as others said, if she showed up in normal clothes with minimal make up and normal hair, no one would have even known it was her); however, the message above feels a bit like a slam on those of us who enjoy her music. She's no Mozart, but she's fun.

I am not a fan but there's a pretty simple reason she's a celebrity. She's got tremendous musical talent, for whatever other fanfare she's got going on. There's more of a reason for her to be a celebrity than a lot of the other acts out there today.

Peggy Gus

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2010, 01:29:58 PM »
She's got no class and I continued to wonder how on earth this woman even became a celebrity. 

She's a celebrity because some of us like her music. I don't agree with what she did (as others said, if she showed up in normal clothes with minimal make up and normal hair, no one would have even known it was her); however, the message above feels a bit like a slam on those of us who enjoy her music. She's no Mozart, but she's fun.

I'm pretty sure that everyone in that class knew that she was Lady GaGa's sister, so even in normal clothes and make-up she would have been noticed. How does dressing differently equate to not having class?

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2010, 01:34:27 PM »

I'm pretty sure that everyone in that class knew that she was Lady GaGa's sister, so even in normal clothes and make-up she would have been noticed. How does dressing differently equate to not having class?

QUite frankly, I could go home and tell my parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc that Lady Gaga would be there and they would not know or care who/waht I was talking about.  They would notice the strange person in the bizarre costume at graduation.  There is a pretty big difference to a pretty significant portion of the population.

Peggy Gus

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2010, 03:23:40 PM »

QUite frankly, I could go home and tell my parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc that Lady Gaga would be there and they would not know or care who/waht I was talking about.  They would notice the strange person in the bizarre costume at graduation.  There is a pretty big difference to a pretty significant portion of the population.

Oh I agree with that all the way, I'm just saying that even if she had dressed "normally" she would have been noticed.

penelope2017

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2010, 03:34:28 PM »

Right. Same with my parents.  But mine and your parents, aunts and uncles do not have kids in that graduating class. Who all know that Lady Gaga's sister is in the graduating class. By nature of that relationship, I am sure that most attendees knew there was going to be a celebrity there and most by virtue of that connection knew it was Lady Gaga going to be there. Like I said there was a reason that photographers were at this school's graduation. I doubt they are there every year.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2010, 04:11:53 PM »

Oh I agree with that all the way, I'm just saying that even if she had dressed "normally" she would have been noticed.

Not by everyone.  She's actually very unremarkable looking without her costumes on.  I wouldn't recognize her if she passed me on the sidewalk, and I know who she is.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2010, 04:20:43 PM »

Right. Same with my parents.  But mine and your parents, aunts and uncles do not have kids in that graduating class. Who all know that Lady Gaga's sister is in the graduating class. By nature of that rel@tionship, I am sure that most attendees knew there was going to be a celebrity there and most by virtue of that connection knew it was Lady Gaga going to be there. Like I said there was a reason that photographers were at this school's graduation. I doubt they are there every year.

The photographers know and care but that doesn't mean most attendees know or if they do that they care. 

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2010, 11:48:53 AM »
I wonder what will happen if she's MOH at her sister's wedding someday?

Floral taffeta and dyed pumps?
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2010, 11:52:31 AM »

Not by everyone.  She's actually very unremarkable looking without her costumes on.  I wouldn't recognize her if she passed me on the sidewalk, and I know who she is.

Ditto. I'm a fan, and I wouldn't know her if she came up and punched me in the face if she weren't in full Gaga mode.
The status is not quo!

Mikayla

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2010, 05:56:31 PM »
This is somewhat related but this thread reminds me of Oprah crashing those wedding receptions several years back.  From what I recall, at least one couple was thrilled, but there was one who was not.  She did keep her visit short, but massive etiquette fail, especially with the cameras etc.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2010, 03:59:19 AM »
This is somewhat related but this thread reminds me of Oprah crashing those wedding receptions several years back.  From what I recall, at least one couple was thrilled, but there was one who was not.  She did keep her visit short, but massive etiquette fail, especially with the cameras etc.

My jaw just hit the ground.  I cannot believe she did that!

"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2010, 12:42:20 PM »

I remember that too.  Most of us thought Oprah was out of line, but there was a poster or two who tried to argue that Oprah's celebrity entitled her to do that.  The rest of us argued that neither Oprah nor anyone else had any business crashing weddings, celebrity or not.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2010, 01:55:51 PM »
I would have become the first person on earth to call the police and have Oprah removed from a location. That is stunningly rude, entitled and presumptious.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2010, 02:44:21 PM »
Why was she crashing wedding receptions? ???
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Mikayla

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2010, 03:12:42 PM »

I remember that too.  Most of us thought Oprah was out of line, but there was a poster or two who tried to argue that Oprah's celebrity entitled her to do that.  The rest of us argued that neither Oprah nor anyone else had any business crashing weddings, celebrity or not.
Ooh, I wish I'd seen that.  I can't believe someone would try to make a case on an etiquette board that boorish behavior is fine as long as you make enough money!

Winterlight, it was for a show segment, iirc.  She gave them gifts and then...I dunno.  Did a show.