Author Topic: Everyday or Techno-quette: Shared Netflix Accounts etiquette  (Read 2094 times)

lilfox

This also applies to any kind of on-line system that works like Netflix does, with a queue that prioritizes requests.

When you share a Netflix account with one or more people,

1)  Requests are first-come, first-serve.  You may not 'jump the queue' with your request unless you have the express agreement of all parties that the new request has priority.

2)  Do not claim ignorance when someone calls you on the queue jumping.  You can say "Oh, I'm sorry, I was just so excited about this movie, I really wanted to see it right away!"  You should not say, "Oh, I didn't know I was pushing your stuff down in priority".  Yes you did, because it takes a separate step to promote a movie to first position which, by definition, pushes everything else down a step.

3)  You may not delete requests made by other people nor demote those requests, no matter how little interest you have in it.

4)  You may not stack the deck by filling the queue with all of your requests at once.  Movies will still be there next month.  Give other people a chance to get a request in edge-wise.  If no one else is putting stuff in the queue, over time you'll get your movies anyway.  Just don't do it all at once.

Anything else?

TaylorMade

Re: Everyday or Techno-quette: Shared Netflix Accounts etiquette
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 05:27:17 PM »
Well... You can actually solve this problem by splitting the NetFlix account.

My husband and I have the 3 movies at a time account.

I was able to go in and set it up where I get 1 movie out of my queue and he get's 2 movies out of his queue...

It's a great and fabulous option that Netflix started about a year or so ago!

MaggieB

Re: Everyday or Techno-quette: Shared Netflix Accounts etiquette
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »
Doesn't Netflix allow you to mke separate queues for everyone who will be sharing the account?  That way when a video is returned from one queue, the next movie will be sent out from the same queue?

I think your rules are certainly reasonable, and I can see that situation workng out just fine, but I don't think it's universal etiquette for everyone sharing a Netflix account.  I myself would not like the "first come, first served" set up.  I'd rather have rotating weeks or set it up so that our plan makes it possible for everyone to have one DVD of their choosing at a time.  (So if I had two roommates, we'd get the 3 at a time plan and each be responsible for our own movie.)

I think the important thing here is to make a plan with those you will be sharing with and stick with it.  Rules 2-4 are great, although having separate queues (if that's still possible) would take care of #4.