Author Topic: Rude to give people the same gift?  (Read 6842 times)

Evil Duckie

• This is not the duck you are looking for
    • My dragon scroll
Re: Rude to give people the same gift?
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2010, 10:07:13 PM »
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:02:22 AM by Evil Duckie »

RedWolf

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2010, 03:01:19 PM »
I do this sometimes, too. A year ago I made blankets for all the nieces and nephews - and if they'd complained, I would have been pretty insulted, considering how much time AND money went into those things!

A bit further back, I got several large bottles of lotion in various scents and divided it into smaller bottles - this was a "bonus" gift with the more personal, main gift for all the women in the family, but I selected scents based on what each woman liked.

Lysistrata

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2010, 01:20:24 AM »
I sure hope it isn't rude! I'm planning on making little "gift baskets" for my mom and sister, possibly also my aunt and DH's sisters. The idea is to fill them with things like soaps, bubble bath, and other scented goodies but tailor each one to the person who will be receiving it. I know these women like scented frou-frou products, so I'm thinking of it as a kind of "make-your-own-spa-day" gift.

Nuku

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2010, 12:07:18 PM »
I think handmade gifts can be a little different, because you know that work and effort went into them. I come from a family with a lot of creative people, and I'm used to getting something that might be in general the same item my sister got, but inidividualized for me. And a lot of time and effort often goes into these items.

I do give my co-workers "matching" gifts. Generally, it's a selection of homemade cookies and candies based on what I know they all like. And I think for those kinds of gifts, something similar is OK - I know I don't expect more than that.

For bridesmaids' gifts, I'm very used to the idea that those gifts are often the jewelry that the women are expected to wear with their dresses. Since that takes away an extra expense, I'm fine with that, too.