Author Topic: GLAD I used it to avoid my own reddened face  (Read 4663 times)

JacklynHyde

GLAD I used it to avoid my own reddened face
« on: June 22, 2010, 03:19:15 PM »
While I was cleaning up after dinner yesterday, Rockhubby answered the door to talk to a solicitor.  This alone borders on miraculous since he tends to just let people knock if we aren't expecting anyone (he's not the most gregarious man on the planet).  He then offered to buy a coupon book the solicitor was selling as a fundraiser.  I heard parts of the conversation as I finished filling the dishwasher and pulling my jaw off the floor.  They were talking about how Rockhubby is currently out of work but is happy to help her cause.  I come into the living room as she asks what kind of work he does.  He explained that he's a geologist (hence the Rockhubby nickname).

Her answer to that?  "Wow, you'll NEVER find a job doing that around here!  Good luck!"

>:( but  :-X from me.  I literally nibbled on the tip of my own tongue waiting for the door to close before I asked Rockhubby why he didn't take the money back and tell her where to take her coupons.  He chuckled lightly as he pointed out the badge she was wearing showed that she was cognitively impaired and doing work rehabilitation.

Between the huge slash to our income and major home repairs sucking the little savings we had, I'm a little on the touchy side when it comes to protecting my husband's ego (which explains my anger toward my MIL last week in http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=79419.0).  I'm so glad I didn't blow up at a complete stranger who had no idea what she said may not have been the most polite thing.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
Re: GLAD I used it to avoid my own reddened face
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 05:27:53 PM »
Sounds like you just made a deposit into your Karma bank.   :)

Amava

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 03:21:24 PM »
Ah yes, it's in somebody's signature, but I don't know who: "A closed mouth gathers no foot". Looks like you've just illustrated that. Well done!

Orisha

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 04:55:14 PM »
Ah yes, it's in somebody's signature, but I don't know who: "A closed mouth gathers no foot". Looks like you've just illustrated that. Well done!

Can I steal this for my MIL?  Pretty please?

Nora

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 03:41:34 AM »

That's brilliant! I'll be chanting it on the inside if Annoying Coworker decides to drop by today.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.