Author Topic: Why would *they* want to do that?  (Read 13612 times)

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
Why would *they* want to do that?
« on: June 21, 2010, 06:23:11 PM »
BG - my family, specifically my grandmother has a 2 bedroom house on the Delaware river, in a semi-touristy area.  Although it is possible to go wading in front of the house, the spot is very rocky (must wear shoes) and not really deep enough for swimming. A mini family reunion has been planned for the 4th of July weekend, and rather then end up sleeping on the floor the BF & I decided to rent a cabin a couple of miles away.  The cabin is on a lake & there is a pool as well.

Last week I was discussing the 4th of July weekend with my grandmother, a woman who is notoriously cheap.  I mentioned how excited I was that we would be staying someplace with a pool/lake to go swimming. 

Grandma "Oh, I'd love to go swimming there"
Me "Well I figured you'd come over for at least one dip in the pool"
Grandma "I should go see if they'd let me swim there for the summer since its so nice"
Me "I don't think they do daily swim rentals"
Grandma "We'll maybe they'd just let me"
Me "Why would they want to do that"
Grandma "So I could swim in the lake"
Me "No, I get why you would want to, I don't understand why *they* would want to do that since you wouldn't be a guest & their insurance probably wouldn't cover you."   

I thought I was pretty clear that she wasn't actually entitled to swim there just because we have a reservation next month, or that they would  be interested in just letting her swim there for the heck of it.  So this past weekend the BF & I went up to the house & I discovered that about 20 minutes away there is a gorgeous public pool where non residents could swim for only $6.  I ended up calling my grandma

Me "we ended up spending the day at X Town pool, it was fantastic"
Grandma "You should have gone over to the cabins & said you didn't have a reservation this weekend but you had one 2 weeks from now & could you swim there now"
Me  :o ::)  Beandip

Yep, that's my grandma, doesn't matter if you are actually staying someplace, as long as someone in your family has a reservation sometime, you should be entitled to go swimming there whenever you want. 

Did I do ok with the beandipping?

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: Why would *they* want to do that?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 06:37:31 PM »

You did fantastic with the bean dipping.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Shortcake

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 08:45:10 PM »
You did great!  I am guessing your grandmother is not going to let up on this until *they* tell her no, so I am glad you have already started bean dipping. Practice makes perfect!  :D
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 05:16:30 PM »
You did great with the beandip!

FWIW, aahhhh, the Delaware River area. Love it! I lived not far from Bull's Island.

MDefarge

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 05:59:02 PM »
Thanks ladies, glad to know I'm on the right track.  Honestly my life has gotten SO much easier since I learned about E-Hell & beandipping - before when my Grandma was being ridiculous I'd get flustered, now not so much.

Lynda_34

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 08:09:32 PM »
You did great!  I am guessing your grandmother is not going to let up on this until *they* tell her no, so I am glad you have already started bean dipping. Practice makes perfect!  :D

I love bean dip, especially with bacon.  Keep in mind also that when THEY tell her no. You aren't the villain and they get a great story to tell or even post on e hell in the Special Snowflake category. ;D

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:40:27 PM »
Maybe I'm twisted, but I would have replied to Grandma with, "Let me know how that goes?"  By watching my charming DH and a few other people who know how to ask nicely, I am amazed at what people will do for them.  And for no greater reward than to see him smile ...

Of course, DH charmed me with that smile, so I know how effective it is >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

MDefarge

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 01:43:06 PM »
Maybe I'm twisted, but I would have replied to Grandma with, "Let me know how that goes?"  By watching my charming DH and a few other people who know how to ask nicely, I am amazed at what people will do for them.  And for no greater reward than to see him smile ...

Unfortunately my grandmother is neither charming nor tactful - this is the same woman who went out of her way to tell me how much she disliked my hair color when I colored it. 

Even worse was a couple of months after my best friend's mom died and my grandmother asked her if her "father was over it yet."  Because, ya know, all it takes is 3 months to get over the death of your wife/mother ::)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 07:07:14 PM »

Unfortunately my grandmother is neither charming nor tactful - this is the same woman who went out of her way to tell me how much she disliked my hair color when I colored it.
Are you worried that her tactless approach will taint your visit?  It's a valid concern, but I'd still let her try.  Then it wouldn't be me telling her , "No," but the management.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Lynda_34

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 05:01:13 PM »
Just looking for an update/closure to the family reunion.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 06:46:40 PM »

I don't believe MD is part of the forum anymore.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 12:35:56 PM »

I checked her posts & the last two were completely out of character for her, so there is suspicion that her account was hacked.  Either that or her snarky alter ego got loose.  In any case, yes, MD is gone.

Marcus Aurelius

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 12:42:35 PM »

I checked her posts & the last two were completely out of character for her, so there is suspicion that her account was hacked.  Either that or her snarky alter ego got loose.  In any case, yes, MD is gone.

The second to last one was hers, the last one was from jerk who stole her phone.

M Defarge clarified the issue, thanked you all, but realized it was taking up too much time and realized it was time to take a break from eHell:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=18764317168&topic=14304

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 12:52:21 PM »

OMGoodness, thank you DangerMouth! I somehow had missed that.

~Gaslight Anthem