Author Topic: Is this too much?  (Read 2888 times)

dragonflies

Is this too much?
« on: June 24, 2010, 11:22:48 AM »
Before Memorial Day, DH found out that his department was going to be eliminated as of Oct. 1.  His boss really wanted him for a new position.  The problem was that the position was two pay grades higher so under the rules, he couldn't even apply.  Its not a hard and fast rule but you have to present a major case and go through a lot of red tape.  He works for one of the largest employers in the world so for anything out of the ordinary, there is a lot of red tape.
Boss really went to bat for him, even telling the hiring manager that "if you give DH something to do, he does it, always, how many people can you say that about?".  We know that he fought hard DH.

DH got the job.  We would like to send a "Thank you".  Do we send the "Thank you" to his house or does DH give it to him the office?  The office might be awkward b/c not all of DH's coworkers have found new roles within the company.

Is a $50 (US) basket of goodies (chocolates) too much?

edited b/c I get Memorial and Labor day confused.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 11:25:04 AM by dragonflies »

Solanna Dryden

Re: Is this too much?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 11:25:15 AM »
I think the note is a great idea, and I would give it to him at work.

The basket, or any other type of gift, I would not do at all. If the company really is that rigid, you want to avoid anything that could even possibly be construed as bribery.

Honey badger don't care. YOLO

Dorrie78

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 11:26:40 AM »
I would send it to his house, if you have his address. With an imminent closing and people about to be out of work, I think it would be kind to not even inadvertently make a big deal about his new job around the officemates. I'm not saying that your DH would purposely do that - but for others who are hurting, it might hurt their morale even more to see it. And the boss might be very uncomfortable explaining it to others.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 11:45:12 AM »
I think the note is a great idea, and I would give it to him at work.

The basket, or any other type of gift, I would not do at all. If the company really is that rigid, you want to avoid anything that could even possibly be construed as bribery.

POD.  You are not doing anyone any favors by giving a gift.

dragonflies

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 11:48:35 AM »
His manager has purchased Christmas gifts for everyone in his group before - kind of doing a nice white elephant.

DH is hoping that a Thank you note will convey how grateful he is.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 12:07:11 PM »
A thank you note is great. A gift basket is "too much" and could create problems. There is a difference between a manager gifting every employee equally and a subordinate gifting his superior.

Jocelyn

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 01:10:55 PM »
Perhaps they could go to lunch, and your DH could pick up the tab, if he wants to do something concrete.
OTOH, I think few things say thank you like supporting someone's career. IMO, if you really want to thank someone who went above and beyond on the job, you write a letter that can be tucked into their file; it's better than candy that will be eaten soon (although it may follow them around for years  >:D ) In the case of a boss, though, I would think if your DH watches for opportunities to offer legitimate praise for his boss, that would be useful, too. ('Thank you, Mr. Big Boss, for those kind words. It's   a pleasure working on Mr. Boss's team, he really brings out the best in people.')

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 01:41:18 PM »
A thank you note is great. A gift basket is "too much" and could create problems. There is a difference between a manager gifting every employee equally and a subordinate gifting his superior.

Right.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 04:26:42 AM »

For a boss, a letter sounds best - sending a physical or monetary gift could  be seen as inappropriate.

haggis for the soul

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 12:35:29 PM »
In some industries, and certainly in federal government, this kind of gift giving is strictly forbidden.  You might want to see if there are any rules prohibiting it.

Lexophile

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 02:25:30 PM »
I pod previous posters and say write a nice personal note. In the note, your DH can say, "I know you really went to bat for me, and I promise not to let you down." Or something to that effect expressing that he understands what an effort was made on his behalf.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

Jairissa

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 03:14:17 PM »
If you're set on giving him something, perhaps you could make him something instead? A cake, or cookies, or muffins, perhaps? Even homemade chocolates would be nice. Something that you've put time and care into making, as he put time and care into helping your husband get his new job.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 07:43:31 PM »
  Admittedly I came from a corporate culture that small gifts  from vendors is very very normal $50 was the limit, I always gave small token gifts when co-workers employees , superiors went way above and beyond.  Noting: Way above and beyond is a very rare thing. So I think a $50 gift basket is perfect.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 08:47:16 PM »
How about bringing a favorite dish of the boss to share with the whole office? Like baking muffins in a flavor the boss really enjoys, but you/he will bake enough for everyone.

The note is fine otherwise.
I have pet mice!