Author Topic: Can You make My Friend One?  (Read 4250 times)

Miss Marple

Can You make My Friend One?
« on: June 24, 2010, 07:51:16 PM »
A couple of weeks ago my daughter's friend Hazel asked me if I could crochet her a butterfly. I said: "I will think about it."

Well I got some sparkle/glitter cotton that I have never worked with before and to test it out and familiarize myself with it, I made Hazel one. it took 15 minutes.

yesterday I gave Hazel her butterfly and she was very happy with it.

This morning before school, Hazel calls me over and says: "Can you make one for a girl in class 1D."

Thanks to my Ehell training, I said "No." I did use a pleasant voice.

Usually I am warm and fuzzy with the kids, I think she was surprised by my reply it rendered her speechless.

I would please like your opinion(s), is it harsh to use it albeit with a nice voice on a 6 year old? Because I am now feeling a tad mean and grouchy.

Little Jo

Re: Can You make My Friend One?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 09:04:05 PM »
No it was right because next thing you know there will be orders from all over the place.  I had that problem with my niece Aoife I made her a necklace next thing it was Jennifer, Grace and Holly want one too. I released I would end up making necklaces for the twenty nine girls in Aoife's class so I said "No that was a one off special for you."
Maybe I should not have said that but I did not have ehell at the time.

Amava

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 09:07:12 PM »
I said "No that was a one off special for you."
Maybe I should not have said that but I did not have ehell at the time.
How so? I don't see anything wrong with what you said.

Miss Marple, I don't think it's mean to not want to crochet for just anybody.

Shortcake

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 10:27:16 PM »
Miss Marple, you handled the situation just fine. I wouldn't have done anything differently.  You are not being grouchy at all.
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

Jocelyn

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 09:29:33 PM »
Another good reason to say no: Hazel wanted a butterfly. The other girls wanted something cool that Hazel had. Did they really want a butterfly? Will they really care if they have a crocheted butterfly a month from now? I doubt it. So you would have put in a lot of work on stuff that wouldn't really be treasured. An excellent reason for saying no.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
I sewed some things (toys, book covers, shirts, costumes, swimsuits, pillows, etc.) for various nieces, nephew, son, daughter, etc.  I enjoy it.  Nephew was talking to Grandpa's neighbor's kid and "offered" to have his aunt make HIM something.  I explained to Nephew that I make things for relatives - not neighbors. 

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Viscountess

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 11:44:05 PM »
Miss Marple, your response was not grouchy at all.  No is a perfect answer for a refusal, and a 6 year old is old enough to understand the meaning of no...I hope anyway.
"If you don't like something, then change it.  If you can't change it, then change your attitude towards it."

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 11:22:19 AM »
Well, that was a little terse.  "That won't be possible" might have been a tad nicer.

It's nice that your work is apparently a hot commodity. :-*

MyFamily

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 04:38:25 PM »
Well, that was a little terse.  "That won't be possible" might have been a tad nicer.

It's nice that your work is apparently a hot commodity. :-*

For a 6 year old, I think 'no' was a much better answer then "that won't be possible" - I've tried that line with my 6 year old and it is just too much for him to hear; a simple no is much easier for him to understand.  And as it was said in a nice voice, then it is fine.  Of course the 6 year old didn't know how to respond to a 'no', she expected to hear "sure!" and wasn't mentally prepared for a no.  At that age they are still learning that you need to be prepared to hear no when a favor is asked.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Little Jo

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 05:37:44 PM »

How so? I don't see anything wrong with what you said.

I always qualify my noes to kiddie winks so that they can understand why I say no.   Anyway its wonderful that you have this talent  :-*