Author Topic: Online etiquette  (Read 11055 times)

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
Re: Online etiquette
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2009, 05:24:29 AM »
Don't pretend you're dead, then later go, "Ha!  Just kidding!".  (Yes, this has happened on another board I was on, and to a friend whose friend did it just to her over facebook.)  Just don't.  It's wrong, and WILL make people legitimately mad.
Ditto pretending you have a terminal illness.

We shouldn't have to point this stuff out...
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2009, 11:06:48 AM »
To elaborate, if you think (or know) that someone is a troll, ignore them.  Replying to a troll's post is "feeding" the troll; it just encourages that person to troll more since they're usually seeking attention.  Ignore the post, but reporting the post or member to a moderator is fine.

I disagree to a point, at least concerning Ehell.  Our trolls have typically been the "A Horrible Tragedy Has Befallen Me" type, which garner tons of attention, replies (and usually lots of PMs to the troll), and support for the troll.  I, for one, appreciate when other Ehellions have asked the OP of these threads questions/pointed out incosistencies politely (& the Dame has given approval for this), because A.) it stops from worrying about the OP for a false reason, and B.) I don't have to continue to be taken for a ride by the OP.

However, in a thread where I suspect the OP may be embellishing, I typically just ignore it if it's not the type of thread where tons of other posters are worrying about & offering support to the OP.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2009, 05:21:19 AM »
To elaborate, if you think (or know) that someone is a troll, ignore them.  Replying to a troll's post is "feeding" the troll; it just encourages that person to troll more since they're usually seeking attention.  Ignore the post, but reporting the post or member to a moderator is fine.

I disagree to a point, at least concerning Ehell.  Our trolls have typically been the "A Horrible Tragedy Has Befallen Me" type, which garner tons of attention, replies (and usually lots of PMs to the troll), and support for the troll.  I, for one, appreciate when other Ehellions have asked the OP of these threads questions/pointed out incosistencies politely (& the Dame has given approval for this), because A.) it stops from worrying about the OP for a false reason, and B.) I don't have to continue to be taken for a ride by the OP.

However, in a thread where I suspect the OP may be embellishing, I typically just ignore it if it's not the type of thread where tons of other posters are worrying about & offering support to the OP.
I am glad that vigilant Ehellions put a stop to trolls making people worry, but why not just report the post to a moderator?

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2009, 08:38:32 AM »

I am glad that vigilant Ehellions put a stop to trolls making people worry, but why not just report the post to a moderator?

Because the moderators want the Ehell forum to be self-moderating as much as possible.  They don't want to be expected to act like the parents of grade-school kids: "Mommy, Poster was being meeeeeeeeeean!"
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

gollymolly2

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2009, 08:50:22 AM »
And if I remember correctly from the "My fiancee is having an affair with a nineteen year old floozy and I'm going to take her baby into my guest house" thread, people did report it to the mod and their response was something like "we can't prove that this isn't real, even though it seems odd, so it's not bannable." (then when people did prove it wasn't real, and she had an epic breakdown, it was locked)

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2009, 12:11:09 PM »

I don't see it as an either/or situation.  One can post questions/point out incostistencies to the OP in the thread, report the post &/or PM a mod.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2009, 10:40:15 PM »
^ That's true.

Sapphire23

• I'm a smart cookie!
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2010, 07:41:36 PM »
For those that use messenger programs (AIM, Yahoo, MSN, etc.): please  let everyone on your list know if you change messenger names.  There's nothing worse than trying to contact someone to pass on important info and finding out that they aren't using or deleted that messenger name.       (Sorry to dredge up an old thread)
Never make someone a priority, when they only make you an option.