Etiquette School is in session! > "Why would I want to do that?"

No, I'm not rich. Please stop insinuating that I am.

<< < (2/15) > >>

MadMadge43:
Don't even get me started on this subject. Nothing is more annoying than people who can't put two and two together.

I find they're usually the same type of people who are shoving Doritos in their mouths while lamenting on how lucky I am that I'm so skinny. Never noticing that I don't eat snacks and work out.

FoxPaws:

--- Quote from: zoltar on July 05, 2010, 10:00:14 PM ---She's asked me a few times why we don't run out and get a new luxury car because we can "obviously" afford it. I'd rather have the money in the bank than in the garage.

--- End quote ---
I hope this is exactly what you told her.

Kimblee:

--- Quote from: FoxPaws on July 05, 2010, 08:22:39 PM ---You could say, "Yeah, it's totally worth skipping the little luxuries so we can splurge on the big ones!" Otherwise, your answer is fine.

They aren't asking for financial advice. They're commenting on the cost because money is an issue for them, so that's the aspect they relate to. If they felt their big hold up in life was a too full schedule, their comments would be about how they wished they had the time to spend an evening at the circus. If they are unhappily single, they'd whine about not having anyone to go to the circus with. For a lot of people, it's just easier to comment in the negative - they probably aren't even aware that they're doing it. :-\

My other favorite respose to, "Must be nice..." type comments is, "Yes, it is."  8)

--- End quote ---

And there's folks like me, who hear about your fun time, express good natured but very real envy ("Oh wow, that sounds like so much fun, it must've been really nice!") in the hopes that you will tell me every. last. detail.

I don't snipe or sniff, and I only add the whole "I wish I could do that" if I want to be told how (Where to get tickets, how you got your great deal if you mentioned it, the logistics of managing it.)

But after reading this, I suddenly feel really self concious about it. i think I'll just stop talking to people. (Not being snarky or anything) I keep thinking I've learned social skills just to discover I didn't after all.

FoxPaws:

--- Quote from: Kimblee on July 05, 2010, 10:11:22 PM ---And there's folks like me, who hear about your fun time, express good natured but very real envy ("Oh wow, that sounds like so much fun, it must've been really nice!") in the hopes that you will tell me every. last. detail.
--- End quote ---
See, if you said it to me like this, I would happily give you every last detail.  :) 

What is irksome is when people say, "must be nice," in a tone that suggests a) the bearer of the good news didn't really earn/work for/deserve it, but just got inexplicably lucky, and/or b) the person saying it really isn't happy for them - just jealous.

It's frustrating to have good news and be hesitant to share it because you know 90% of the feedback you are going to get is going to be jealous, or negative, or some PA form of a putdown. Responses like yours are a welcome change.

goldilocks:
I get this from my mother a lot.  She doesn't manage her money at all.  So if I mention anything ( vacation, new sofa, etc), I get a very snide "WELL, it MUST be nice!".

So I basically don't tell her anything at all that involves spending money.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version