Etiquette School is in session! > "Why would I want to do that?"

No, I'm not rich. Please stop insinuating that I am.

<< < (15/15)

Nora:
Oh, wow! Those are gorgeous!

I still feel bad for a horrible crime I committed when I was 6-ish.  :-[ I got this doll from a family friend:

http://www.dolls4play.com/thumbnails/013.jpg

It came with the box and everything. I liked it, but thought it would look better with shorter hair and different (permanent) make-up. The scream of my mother discovering what I'd done, within 1 hour of getting the doll I might add, could be heard around the Netherlands...

Every time I think of it I cringe.  :(

hollandoates:

--- Quote from: delphinium on October 11, 2011, 04:00:12 PM ---Whenever I read these kinds of posts, I wonder why everybody feels that they have to apologize for being able to afford certain things.  I would love it if just one time, somebody would say, Oh, yes, it is nice to be rich."  ;D (Even if they're not!)

--- End quote ---

My mother's biggest pet peeve is when people try to make others feel guilty for their success. Whenever someone says to her, "Geez, it must be nice!" she always replies with a frosty "It is."

We're not a rich family but we like nice things and we work hard for them. Someone trying to make others feel guilty for these sorts of things is just ridiculous.

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: hollandoates on December 02, 2011, 12:22:53 AM ---
--- Quote from: delphinium on October 11, 2011, 04:00:12 PM ---Whenever I read these kinds of posts, I wonder why everybody feels that they have to apologize for being able to afford certain things.  I would love it if just one time, somebody would say, Oh, yes, it is nice to be rich."  ;D (Even if they're not!)

--- End quote ---

My mother's biggest pet peeve is when people try to make others feel guilty for their success. Whenever someone says to her, "Geez, it must be nice!" she always replies with a frosty "It is."

We're not a rich family but we like nice things and we work hard for them. Someone trying to make others feel guilty for these sorts of things is just ridiculous.

--- End quote ---

Dark Boyfriend does that some times.  I say how I got to watch something while he was at work.  He always says it in just that tone, "Must be nice."  It started to aggravate me so much that I just started to say with a big grin, "It was, thanks!"

Portugal79:
This happens to me all the time, i really have an average paying job...though people assume i get paid more then i do, i buy everything in the Jan sales for the following Christmas and birthdays (i have a huge family), and am able to keep my costs of living down, by little things like taking  a packed lunch to work. because of this i am able to go abroad once a year, even though i pay a single person supplement and when i am there i have a fixed budget per day for the things i want to and look around for cheap places to eat. Now because of this people assume that i am rich...it's really not the case and it frustrates me when people i have an unlimited income in the bank!

Viscountess:
Just had this happen to me yesterday.  Next month, my boyfriend and I are going to a ski resort for a long weekend.  My former roommate  said "You're so lucky; it must be nice to be rich."  Now, I have been saving up for this trip for months and haven't gone on a trip since April.  Former Roommate has gone to Disneyland, Vegas and monthly trips to San Francisco in the past 3 months.  Also, I work part-time and earning just above minimum wage which is a far cry from rich. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version