Author Topic: Assumptions that are actually true  (Read 14072 times)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: Assumptions that are actually true
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 06:29:34 PM »
She and her husband could have just as easily been German Reds or Scottish Yellows or even Orangemen.

Most confusing sentence atheist Nora has read in a while!

What is this atheist you speak of? I think you mean blue, don't you?  ;)

j/k ... i know the deal with the ads & all. It just amuses me.

Xallanthia, i think that is a really great clarification.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 06:55:05 PM »
My great-great-aunt was an Irish Green who gave birth to 27 children over her lifetime. Whenever I've mentioned her, people always ask first off if she was Green. I usually say yes, and then follow up with the fact that this was in the 1870's or 1880's, because my grandmother was born in 1895 and my father was born in 1941. Irish or not, plenty of people were having huge families, and when two people of very hardy genetic material marry, you end up with a ton of children. She and her husband could have just as easily been German Reds or Scottish Yellows or even Orangemen.

She did live into her 80's, though, and maintained her sanity awfully well. She just decided that Jesus Christ was one of her 17 sons, and got very distressed when she saw crucifixes.

Wow! That is a lot of kids. Where any of them multiples?

Lynda_34

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2010, 07:27:54 PM »
My mother had six of us in seven and a half years.

I once asked her if she had ever used birth control (back then it was condoms) we're talking 50's here.  She was a southen belle and told me, "If your father did he never told me and nice girls never discussed those things."

Someone once asked her if she was green religion and she said no just a "messy blue."

I was sexually active for about two months and was on the pill with the only MD who would prescribe it for unmarried women in my state. 

After I was married (shacked up with him for a year and a half, was engaged three weeks and married, yes people were taking bets I was pregnant, (I wasn't) as far as I was concerned that wasn't a reason to marry.  I/We waited almost five years before we started a family.

Before the advent of the "pill" there were large families, lots of chlldren died in infancy.  In the last 50 years we have more control over pregnancy than ever before.  Assumptions change but so does society and what is available to people.

I don't want to get political here but the recent announcements from the Vatican are a perfect example of evolving with the times.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2010, 02:38:27 PM »
My great-great-aunt was an Irish Green who gave birth to 27 children over her lifetime.

My triple-great grandmother gave birth to 20 children (wasn't Green, either). Only the last pregnancy resulted in twins. Unfortunately, it also resulted in her demise. The twins were raised by her first-born child.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2010, 02:46:53 PM »
My great-great-aunt was an Irish Green who gave birth to 27 children over her lifetime.

My triple-great grandmother gave birth to 20 children (wasn't Green, either). Only the last pregnancy resulted in twins. Unfortunately, it also resulted in her demise. The twins were raised by her first-born child.

I grew up with kids who were grandkids/great-grandkids of a family matriarch who had sixteen children, all single births.  In fact, in my younger brother's graduating class there was a grandson and a great-grandson.

That's so sad about your triple-great-grandmother, Twik.  But all too common in previous years, unfortunately.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2010, 08:59:42 PM »
I had a great aunt or cousin or something who had 17 kids.  No twins.  They were German Catholic.  I run into people with my last name and ask if they are related to her.  They generally are, sometimes through marriage.  Most of the family I have never met because her kids fairly big families and many of them have started their families.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2010, 09:11:27 PM »
When people have commented on large families in my husband's and my family tree, we had two jokes: "Yep great-gran truly had a womb of steel!" and "Oh yes, (husband's surname) sperms, they're like Navy Seals crossed with Ninjas, they WILL find their objective!"

This nicely derails any stereotyping comments about Irish and Hillbillys.

Jan74

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 06:41:14 AM »
Before the 1960s, there was pretty much no choice but to have as many kids as nature would gift you, so I don't understand stereotyping people of earlier generations. If you assume someone that right now has 17 kids is extremely religious, that would be a somewhat based on reality assumption, but in the past they were just very fertile.

Nora

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 11:19:13 AM »
Before the 1960s, there was pretty much no choice but to have as many kids as nature would gift you, so I don't understand stereotyping people of earlier generations. If you assume someone that right now has 17 kids is extremely religious, that would be a somewhat based on reality assumption, but in the past they were just very fertile.

And unquenchably horny, and undauntable. I'm telling you, it would not take 17 pregnancies (given they where like my first) to never let my husband in the bedroom again!

17 kids. All fed and clothed, and loved. I think 1 is hard darned work! Give those people a medal!
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Jan74

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 07:05:33 PM »

And unquenchably horny, and undauntable. I'm telling you, it would not take 17 pregnancies (given they where like my first) to never let my husband in the bedroom again!

17 kids. All fed and clothed, and loved. I think 1 is hard darned work! Give those people a medal!

If you are really fertile, 1 visit a year is enough...  ;D

exitzero

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 07:19:44 PM »
My dad was one of 19 children.

My grandfather once got arrested for drunken brawling, and my cousin had to go down and bail him out.

They went before the judge, who asked him, "Are you a family man?".

Do which he replied, "Yes."

"How many children do  you have?"

"19"

"You misunderstood my question, I asked you how many children you have."

"I understood fine. I have 19 children."

With that the judge yelled, "Get this man out of my courtroom, he deserves to be drunk!"

And, yes, he was Irish (Green). So that's two stereotypes for the price of one!

Jan74

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2010, 07:23:20 PM »

My science teacher - in the late 80s - had 19 children. 17 natural, 2 adopted from his late brother. So I thought he was wife was gonna look... well, exhausted, but she looked very young for her age, fit, and rested. And this was not a "5 nannies, celebrity lifestyle" situation, they had 16 children living at home in a 4 bedroom home.

She clearly had a womb of steel.

exitzero

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2010, 07:28:09 PM »

My science teacher - in the late 80s - had 19 children. 17 natural, 2 adopted from his late brother. So I thought he was wife was gonna look... well, exhausted, but she looked very young for her age, fit, and rested. And this was not a "5 nannies, celebrity lifestyle" situation, they had 16 children living at home in a 4 bedroom home.

She clearly had a womb of steel.

I never met my grandmother, but they say she had the patient of Job.

She gave birth to all 19, no twins or triplets.

They were raised in apartments in a poorer section of Boston.

And she had been an only child!

jmarvellous

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2010, 08:07:41 PM »
My mom was Eastern European 'Green' and one of seven, which was plenty enough for my peers to make similar assumptions about them (again, usually true).

But my paternal side is where the really rough (and true, unfortunately) assumptions come in. They are not of a background that's known for this (at least in the U.S., though it's common where/when they're from), but his parents were first cousins. Cue all the inbreeding jokes you can shake a stick at in  ... 1 ... 2 ... 3! To add to that, he eventually started bragging about how his own great grandparents were uncle and niece, too!

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2010, 09:13:29 AM »

Condoms are hundreds if not thousands of years old and there are other ways of preventing children. Not as good as what we have now but BC is not a 20th century invention.