Author Topic: WOW  (Read 15381 times)

auntmeegs

WOW
« on: July 12, 2010, 01:46:32 PM »

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
Re: WOW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 01:52:09 PM »
That wedding has actually been addressed here before hasn't it? I think the consensus was, not rude.
I actually don't find anything wrong with it at all personally. It certainly isn't to my taste but taste has nothing to do with etiquette. Everyone looked happy and there seemed to be plenty of food. The bride and groom are likely avid hunters or something and thought they would incorporate that theme into their wedding. It certainly isn't a faux pa, even if it isn't traditional.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:01:46 PM »
Seemed lovely and actually quite traditional to me.  The idea of a big white dress and a catering hall, to me strikes me as very "current wedding trend" not at all "traditional". Ok I'll give it its about 100 years current but still in the grand scheme of humans pairing up that pretty recent.  And there's nothing wrong with big white dress/catering hall weddings but that doesn't mean they are the only correct way to do things.

An intimate family and friends gathering on public or family land, dressed in one's personal finest (in keeping with local cultural fashions) to me screams "traditional" wedding.  And there looked to be plenty of refreshments, comfortable accommodations and the smiles looked genuine: you can't describe a better wedding then that, can  you?

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 02:02:28 PM »
I love the cake.  It's amazing what can be done with an airbrush gun and food coloring.
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 02:05:52 PM »
It is kinda hysterical . . .  in all the right ways.

All the guests look like they are having a good time, the dresses are far more attractive then many bride's maids dresses I've seen, the cake is adorable, and I think it would have been a blast to attend.

I'm not sure why a 'theme' that includes poofy white dresses, and rented tuxes is normal anyway  ;)

If my DH and I could have agreed on a more entertaining theme, we might well have done so. I don't think either of us could have pulled off looking like the leads from Fifth Element though. Still, if I'd tried it, at least Leeloo's bandage outfit is white  ;D

auntmeegs

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 02:08:01 PM »
Thanks Sabby, I didnít know it had been brought up here before.  I agree that it is not rude, just very interesting.  I wonder where they found that fabric for the dresses!

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 02:12:58 PM »
Thanks Sabby, I didnít know it had been brought up here before.  I agree that it is not rude, just very interesting.  I wonder where they found that fabric for the dresses!

Not hard to do at all. Camo is pretty popular pattern. Outside of people that make their own hunting cloths, blinds, tent covers, etc. it's kinda pretty for camping and outdoor uses in general.

You might not see it locally, but it's readily available on-line. In a wide variety of patterns and weights.

trailgrrl

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 02:22:58 PM »
Looks like she had the exact wedding she and her husband wanted and had a great time with it.  All the guests appear to be  having a fantastic time,  I'd totally love this kind of a shin dig.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 02:26:23 PM »
I love this idea, maybe something similar for my next set of vows.

The catfish cake and gumbo are perfect for my tastes.

I think y'all should be seeing the reference to my name.

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 02:39:17 PM »

If you google "camouflage wedding" there are a bunch of sites that sell wedding-related items from clothes to tablecloths.  I guess it's getting to be a common theme?
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 02:47:13 PM »
Wow, that's a really unique theme!  I've never run into one like that before.  I think it looks fun, and not any different from having a pirate wedding or a Renaissance wedding or anything else (well, in terms of content, obviously, but not in terms of what's acceptable).  I'm not a big fan of weddings where people dress or act "in character," like characters from movies or tv shows, because I think that a wedding should be able you and your husband declaring your commitment (not Uhura and Yoda, or what-not), but I have no problem with costumes--after all, white poofy dresses and tuxes are costumes of a sort as well.  Almost every wedding has a "theme," whether it's conscious or not (coordinating colors and styles are a theme, if a less noticeable one than a Hawaiian luau).

I do think it's nice to indicate on the wedding invitation if there's any sort of theme that makes the wedding noticeably different from the "norm," though, just so that people are prepared ahead of time (even if they aren't expected to wear costumes or do anything differently).  That way somebody who has a deep and abiding fear of catfish in any form could make their excuses for this wedding.  :)

TylerBelle

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 03:08:51 PM »
I remember seeing this a while back. The location was really beautiful, imagine that lake in your backyard, wow. Looks like everyone was having a nice time, the HC looked radiant, both the catfish and wedding cakes were lovely, and there was plenty of pie.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

Bright

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 07:04:03 AM »
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=44212.0 and  http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=44651.0 both discuss this wedding as well.

They do look like they're having a good time and the food looked delicious.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 12:06:23 PM »
I love the bouquets, they look gorgeous. Perfect for any outdoor wedding...

I look at this couple and I get that "lasts forever" vibe....there's just something about a woman doing a camo wedding in a duckblind that says "cool" to me. I wonder if they're both hunters.

It's not what I would have chosen, but I like it. There was plenty of food, plenty of drink, plenty of seating and no one's peculiars were hanging out...etiquette bases covered!
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 04:29:26 PM »
I don't think I could eat the catfish cake-- it's too cute :)