Author Topic: Pregnancy Related...  (Read 13640 times)

MummyPumpkin83

Pregnancy Related...
« on: July 19, 2010, 06:10:07 AM »
My husband and I were married on 21st January 2006 and found out that we were pregnant on the 21st February 2006.

Now for those who don't know how they count pregnancy dates:

day 1 of the pregnancy is day 1 of the last period before you actually conceived.

So our pregnancy day 1 was 26th January (Australia Day!) and on our honeymoon. (due date 1st November, actual birthday 2nd November)

Cue a few weeks after our announcement to our church family (so about 15/16 weeks pregnant) and one of the young (age 10-12) girls at church comes up to my husband and I congratulating us. She is a bit developmentally delayed (so not sure if that is a contributing factor), and I guess was trying to make conversation by saying "So, a honeymoon baby hey?"  :o

DH and I just laughed and steered the conversation elsewhere, but afterwards we were discussing and were wondering:
1. who would have told her that / where she would have heard it
2. who really cares enough about someone else's pregnancy to "work out" if it was a "Honeymoon baby" or not, and then talk about it (in front if their kids no less!)

I did get the jokes from work colleagues as well, and depending on the relationship answered honestly - that it was actually impossible for me to fall pregnant on our honeymoon.

The "worst" one was my dad who at the family Christmas get together (December 2006 so DS was about 6 weeks old) and in joking discussion with my then future BIL (sister's fiance) about "so you're sure you weren't pregnant before the wedding?" dad says "No its OK. I counted and made sure" :o (not that he can talk, I was born in July '83 after their January '83 wedding)

anyone else had similar "Interesting Assumptions"?
Mummy to 3 little Pumpkin boys!

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
Re: Pregnancy Related...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 07:36:42 AM »
My parents married young at 21 and my father's side consider themselves to be 'better class of people'. My mother came from a very poor farming background, she's from a large family and had to start supporting herself financially at 14.

Dad's side openly talked at their wedding about how mum must have been pregnant as there couldn't be any other reason for the marriage.

My mum calls me her Peyton Place baby as I didn't arrive until three years later and was her first pregnancy and first child...

When I married DH, we hoped a baby would be our next goal. DD was born a day before our first anniversary. Someone at his work said to DH that "we looked so much in love at our wedding, they knew we'd have a baby soon"...  ::)
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

Jocelyn

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 10:08:58 PM »
My father was born 9 months to the day after his parents' wedding.
My sister's SIL married very young; her belief was that since she wanted to be a wife and mother, there was no point waiting around. Of course, when a very young woman gets married, there's speculation. The SIL was proud to be on the guest book at my sister's wedding, because it was about a year and a half after her own, and she was obviously 'great with child'. She said she was happy for all the old biddies to see she still hadn't had a baby 18 months after her wedding. :)

Arianoor

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 04:47:57 PM »
When my Mom told my Aunt that I was getting married years ago, my Aunt's first question was, "When is she due?"  Which I found to be a really interesting assumption considering that I was a virgin until my wedding night.

penguinpants

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 08:12:12 AM »
My MOTHER worked out our due date (we have a wedding night baby on the way), and went on and on about how happy she was about the due date not being earlier.  Then, she announced it, quite proudly, to her brother/my uncle, the priest who officiated our ceremony.  He rather abruptly told her that she really shouldn't be concerned about the exact dates, nor should she be publishing that concern so broadly.  Heh.
Surprises are foolish things. The pleasure is not enhanced, and the inconvenience is often considerable. -- Jane Austen

Corbin

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 01:15:21 PM »
When the now-ex and I told his parents we were getting married, the first thing they said is "Are you pregnant?" I was not. A year after our wedding, when we told them I was pregnant, they said "Is it his?" She was. Needless to say, it was a tense relationship.

Now, with my wonderful FH and wonderful Future IL's I don't get any of that. Although my delightful FFIL did say "So, ya gonna knock her up soon or what?"  ::) Since I love the man dearly, I am finding it funny (and kinda sweet. They like me!)
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 12:53:18 PM »
We have a honeymoon baby in our family, which the parents are quite open about. The bride decided she was pregnant at 3 AM on her wedding night, and called her parents to inform them of this, based on the fact that she was nauseous, despite the fact that she was on a boat. They did not bring a back-up method and had a baby 9 months later. They turned out to be great parents and have an absolutely darling child, but I still kind of smile and nod when they say the first one was miraculously conceived despite birth control - the bride hadn't known that birth control pills must be taken at the same time every day until she went back on the pill after the baby was born.

Speculating is rude, but some couples seem really proud of their honeymoon babies. I guess it's like my best friend and her Leave from Basic Training baby... she makes jokes about that being the reason why young husbands getting home leave may not be the smartest thing.

pinkunicorn

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 02:56:23 PM »
Well, alot of times people refer to "Honeymoon babies" when talking about any child concieved within the first few months to first year of marriage, not necessarily exactly during the honeymoon. I was referred to quite a bit as a "honeymoon baby" because I was born 11 months after my parents married, and because I was not planned.

A big thing about these kinds of assumptions stems from the VERY INTERESTING ASSUMPTION that because couples get married, they always want kids, and they want them right away. Why do you think so many people ask "So when are you planning on having kids?" Many ask that during the wedding reception!
Never try to fit in when you are meant to stand out!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 03:16:26 PM »
My parents married young at 21 and my father's side consider themselves to be 'better class of people'. My mother came from a very poor farming background, she's from a large family and had to start supporting herself financially at 14.

Dad's side openly talked at their wedding about how mum must have been pregnant as there couldn't be any other reason for the marriage.

My mum calls me her Peyton Place baby as I didn't arrive until three years later and was her first pregnancy and first child...

When I married DH, we hoped a baby would be our next goal. DD was born a day before our first anniversary. Someone at his work said to DH that "we looked so much in love at our wedding, they knew we'd have a baby soon"...  ::)

This could have been written by me.  Except that both sides thought they were better than the other, and my baby was born three weeks before anniversary, and one week early.  It is amazing the number of people that seemed to calculate in their head, so I just started to save people the bother and told people it would be neat if she came late, on our anniversary. 

Speaking of interesting assumptions, the biddies in dad's small farm town were so convinced that my mother was pregnant were they eloped, they decided that I either had an older sister that they hadn't told me about, or that I was really older than I really am by three years

Kess

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 04:20:40 AM »
With my recent pregnancy, we had so many people (including my Dad!) working out whether he was a honeymoon baby (not quite, actually), which freaked me out.  I think people seperate in their heads the act of conception from the fact of it.  I honestly don't think it occurred to my Dad that he was working out when his daughter had erm... played unprotected scrabble!

Mopsy428

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 03:57:47 PM »
My aunt was married in early October. My cousin was born the following August. She told me that when she announced to her co-workers that she was pregnant, one lady said this to her:

Lady: "You're awfully big for being a few weeks pregnant."

Aunt: "I'm 4 months along."

Lady: "Really?" *does obnoxious counting on the fingers* "Oh, so you weren't pregnant on your wedding day!"

My aunt ignored her.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 04:11:30 PM »
It doesn't help that day 1 of pregnancy is usually about two weeks before the actual day of conception (this does depend on the individual's particular fertility cycle, of course).  You're not actually pregnant until you're two weeks pregnant.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 04:57:40 PM »
It doesn't help that day 1 of pregnancy is usually about two weeks before the actual day of conception (this does depend on the individual's particular fertility cycle, of course).  You're not actually pregnant until you're two weeks pregnant.

That's a good point, and one I would not hesitate to point out to someone nosing about for my date of conception.  At least we're not going to have to worry about "honeymoon baby" comments...

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 08:21:50 PM »
My mom *was* pregnant when my parents got married, and apparently my grandmother has never forgiven her for it. Something about stealing her baby or seducing him or some such nonsense.

So when I announced my engagement, my cousin's response was "You know grandma's going to think you're pregnant, right?" Because clearly, my mother is some sort of 'loose woman' (trying to avoid the ads..) and it must be hereditary  ::). Yeah, well, we've been married a year and half and no baby yet.

Kind of makes me wonder what kind of gossip is going on behind my back...

567Kate

• Nothing could possibly go wrong with this idea.
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 10:30:29 AM »
This thread is reminding me to watch myself! I've been excited over my friends' announced pregnancy, and they are definitely having a honeymoon baby (which I would consider any pregnancy really early in the marriage). I didn't realize that some people would object to the term.