Author Topic: Pregnancy Related...  (Read 12959 times)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Re: Pregnancy Related...
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2010, 12:16:53 AM »
OK, I admit that I had some friends announce they were 4 weeks pregnant less than 2 weeks after the wedding, and I did the math in my head.  :-\ HOWEVER, the only thing I said was, "Congratulations!"
The status is not quo!

kisu

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2010, 03:16:36 AM »
This was so embarrassing... We were at a family reunion, and there was a "family magazine" where relatives were listed, along with their birthdate, marriage date, and then the birthdates of their children etc.

My dear cousin Mary (6 years old, mathematically smart, has a 1-year-old little brother who was born 2 months premature) was reading the magazine. She then asked our great-uncle, a very respectable 70-year-old reverend, "Uncle Tim, did Uncle John (Tim's son, about 45 years old) have to stay in the hospital glass bassinet very long when he was born?" Tim was naturally very puzzled as to why Mary would ask this. "You see, it seems that John was born only 6 months after you and Aunt Matilda got married, so he must've been far too small to come home straight from the hospital? Right?"

Nora

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2010, 05:13:01 AM »
My dear cousin Mary (6 years old, mathematically smart, has a 1-year-old little brother who was born 2 months premature) was reading the magazine. She then asked our great-uncle, a very respectable 70-year-old reverend, "Uncle Tim, did Uncle John (Tim's son, about 45 years old) have to stay in the hospital glass bassinet very long when he was born?" Tim was naturally very puzzled as to why Mary would ask this. "You see, it seems that John was born only 6 months after you and Aunt Matilda got married, so he must've been far too small to come home straight from the hospital? Right?"

Ouch! Baby-bazinga!  :P

We got the question when we married after a 3 month engagement. Baby came almost 2 years after the wedding, though. Turns out we just don't like long engagements or big weddings. Even though I'm born "out of wedlock" my son was not, and I would not have cared if he was. What nonsense.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Rosgrana

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2010, 01:55:42 PM »
Long ago, my Grandmother overheard the following conversation on a bus, and had to get off and walk two miles home just so she could laugh.

Woman 1: Did I tell you, our Jenny's getting married soon?
Woman 2: Oh, that's nice! When's the baby due?
Woman 1: Baby? What baby? There's no baby!
Woman 2: Ohhhh! She's not pregnant? That's posh!

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2010, 02:37:03 PM »
leila was born 9 days after our first anniversary, and I got the "honeymoon baby" thing too. I had to laugh when a woman at my church said "Well honey all I know is that the first baby can come at any time after the wedding. The second baby waits at least 9 months though..."  ::)

???

I don't get it.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2010, 02:43:24 PM »
While I find the idea of a "honeymoon baby" sweet and charming, if people are using it as a way to express disapproval, they should just keep their mouths shut.

I planned a wedding while pregnant - a wedding that would have taken place two months before my daughter was born, had my fiance not backed out. My child was born while I was unmarried and I remained unmarried for a number of years. She grew up and had a baby before having a wedding also (the baby will be 2 on 9/10 and their first anniversary is two days later). I know I was judged for having a baby "out of wedlock", and I'm sure some people judge me because my daughter grew up to do the same thing, undoubtedly as a result of poor parenting on my part. Those people are welcome to their views, as long as they keep them to themselves.

My cousin was supposed to get married when she was six months pregnant, just a JP thing with some cake afterwards. But a month before the wedding her DF got an offer to work six weeks... but it would make it impossible to attend his own wedding. So Cousin put it off and they decided to do it after the baby was born. But Cousin was a bit disappointed that her second baby would also be born out of wedlock. (She was preggy with #2)

The weekend before she was due, her hubby convinced her to try on her wedding dress (a blue and pink maternity dress. nothing poofy) since she wouldn't fit it when the baby came, and go out to a nice dinner.... and took her to the JP where he had gathered their guests (abot fifteen people) and he married her.

Cousin called to tell me and couldn't stop crying. I hope it was good tears, but she's a really weepy pregnant lady so its debatable. But anyone who would look down on her for getting married while "heavy with child" I'd like to slug.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2010, 02:45:28 PM »
OK, I admit that I had some friends announce they were 4 weeks pregnant less than 2 weeks after the wedding, and I did the math in my head.  :-\ HOWEVER, the only thing I said was, "Congratulations!"

Actually (not that it matters) they could have conceived on the wedding night. :)  The way it works - they start counting the weeks after the date of your last period, even though you weren't pregnant at all for the first two weeks.  So even if you do the test the day after conception - and it's positive - you are "two weeks" pregnant rather than "one day" pregnant.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2010, 02:50:39 PM »
This thread is reminding me to watch myself! I've been excited over my friends' announced pregnancy, and they are definitely having a honeymoon baby (which I would consider any pregnancy really early in the marriage). I didn't realize that some people would object to the term.

Me too, I think it's a sweet term an would apply to any child born in the first year.

But then I was raised with no stigma associated with that. Which is good because plenty of my relatives and friends had babies before they got married. (In one case, the youngest was 15 before the parents decided to get married).

I'm Canadian, so health insurance/financial reasons tend not to make people get married. My husband and I were together 13 years before we got married.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2010, 09:28:39 PM »
This thread is reminding me to watch myself! I've been excited over my friends' announced pregnancy, and they are definitely having a honeymoon baby (which I would consider any pregnancy really early in the marriage). I didn't realize that some people would object to the term.

Me too, I think it's a sweet term an would apply to any child born in the first year.

But then I was raised with no stigma associated with that. Which is good because plenty of my relatives and friends had babies before they got married. (In one case, the youngest was 15 before the parents decided to get married).

I'm Canadian, so health insurance/financial reasons tend not to make people get married. My husband and I were together 13 years before we got married.

I too am Canadian and while I've never heard the term "honeymoon baby" used a lot, I don't think that it's derogatory.  I do agree that health care here is universal; pre- or post-natal care is not dependent on whether the parents are married.

However - in just about every Western-world country during the 1950s or 1960s - there were plenty of 8 or 9 pound "premature" babies in most hospitals.  The hospital staff probably just kept rolling their eyes (to each other, not the parents or their parents).

Darcy

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2010, 09:39:47 PM »
Once, when I was about 12 or 13, I started counting on my fingers (in front of my mom!) to calculate when a friend's baby had been conceived.  But I didn't do it out of wondering whether it was a honeymoon baby or conceived pre-marriage: I was trying to remember when the couple had gotten married!  Mom had told me that the bride had wanted to have children fairly quickly, so in my young mind I thought counting backwards from the due date would pinpoint their wedding date. :-[ My bad.

On the other side of things, I discovered my grandparents' wedding was a shotgun wedding, and that my uncle was born six-seven months after they got married.  But I always thought that story (my grandfather was the 1930s equivalent of a bad boy, and my uncle was conceived on the haystack in the barn out back) was pretty cute. ;D

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2010, 11:40:48 PM »
leila was born 9 days after our first anniversary, and I got the "honeymoon baby" thing too. I had to laugh when a woman at my church said "Well honey all I know is that the first baby can come at any time after the wedding. The second baby waits at least 9 months though..."  ::)

???

I don't get it.

I first heard this when I was young enough to take it literally.  I.e., there was something special about the first baby that it didn't take 9 months to mature.  Whereas all subsequent babies did take 9 months.

Reality is they were pregnant before the wedding, so the baby didn't take 9 months post wedding, but would occur any time. 
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Minmom3

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2010, 10:29:43 PM »

???

I don't get it.

'Traditionally', if a woman was pregnant at her wedding, but NOT admitting to such, when the baby came, it was said to be early....Possibly quite large for an early baby, but, an early baby!!!  Even though, in point of fact, it might have been born on it's due date.  The 2nd baby, however, didn't have to have a fudged 'conception' date, so it took its full 9 months sweet time, unless it really did come early.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2010, 04:19:05 PM »
I think the term Honeymoon Baby is sort of sweet.  Having sex is, after all, what you are supposed to be doing on the honeymoon.  If the couple is open to the idea of having a child, then a honeymoon baby is just a sign that all is well. 

Paper Roses

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2010, 08:26:53 PM »
I think the term Honeymoon Baby is sort of sweet.  Having sex is, after all, what you are supposed to be doing on the honeymoon.  If the couple is open to the idea of having a child, then a honeymoon baby is just a sign that all is well. 

Exactly - which is why I didn't understand when, at work I said something about possibly being pregnant shortly after we got back from our honeymoon, and the person I said it to smirked and said, "Oh, honeymoon baby?"  as if it was some kind of stigma.  (Just for the record, that was the first time I'd ever even heard that term, not that it makes a difference).  She was totally taken aback by my response, which was, "Are you kidding?  I'd be THRILLED!"
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2010, 09:54:56 PM »
Usually when I've heard the term honeymoon baby, it hasn't been a wink wink nudge nudge sort of thing. Just a 'Wow, you guys must've had a great time'.