Author Topic: I think I ran over your cat. Sorry.  (Read 8943 times)

kdbug

• The only people that I need in my life are the ones that have shown me that they need me in theirs.
I think I ran over your cat. Sorry.
« on: July 20, 2010, 03:47:05 PM »
I have a friend of a friend, Adam, that is interested in me and trying quiet hard to make us an item. At first I was interested in him as well, but now Iím not so sure.

A couple of weeks ago Adam came over to my house for dinner. Everything went really well and we were both really enjoying each otherís company. The problem happened when he went to leave. As he was backing out of my driveway he thought that he ran over my cat. Then, instead of stopping to see, he just sent a text that said-

ďI think I ran over the cat. Sorry.Ē

He sent this text before he ever even made it to the stop sign on my street. Thank goodness he hadnít actually run over my cat, but that really isnít the point. I just think that it shows a lack in character for someone to just send a text with that sort of information, espesially when they are still on your street, and they KNOW that your home.

I was told to give him a pass because he was probably just nervous and didnít want to upset me. But I donít think a pass is deserved in this situation at all. What do guys think?

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
Re: I think I ran over your cat. Sorry.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 03:48:13 PM »
No way.  No pass.

Are you sure he was serious?

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 03:50:36 PM »
Nope, no pass.  Whether he really thought he'd run over  your cat or it was his idea of a joke, it's an awful thing to text to someone.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

magicdomino

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 03:51:06 PM »
Coward.  I understand nervous, and I'm sure it would have been tempting to keep on going, but he is a coward.  Plus, if he had stopped and returned, he would have found out that he hadn't hit the cat after all.  

Unless it was a sick joke.  In which case, he is an insensitive jerk.  Either way, no pass.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 03:52:09 PM »
No pass.  That's awful.  That seems so callous, like he was afraid to face you and chickened out by sending a text.

BuffaloFang

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 03:52:13 PM »
No pass...I can't imagine ever forgiving someone for this; even though he didn't actually run over your cat.  The fact that he didn't even get out to check if he had run over your dear animal companion when he thought he did speaks volumes to me.

sisbam

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 03:52:22 PM »
Sure, I'd give him a pass - a pass on d@ting. Maybe friendship, too. Fail...  ::) :( >:(

« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 03:53:54 PM by sisbam »

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 03:54:04 PM »
Total dealbreaker. Disgusting.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Wavicle

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 03:54:41 PM »
No pass unless he comes to you groveling for forgiveness admitting that he was so terribly upset he lost his head and couldn't think reasonably. If he just didn't think it was a big deal or if he was afraid rather than completely mentally unwound at the idea of killing a persons pet I think that demonstrates a lack of sympathy for you as a pet owner and for the cat as a living creature.

I would think it was worse if he wasn't serious. I could almost understand someone freaking out that they killed their friend's cat and being too ashamed to knock on the door. Someone sending that as a joke has no excuse for scaring the crap out of the cat owner though.

miredrose326

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 03:57:01 PM »
Nope, no way, not a chance.
My beautiful babies 

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 04:01:36 PM »
If he really did think he ran over your cat he should have gotten out of the car and checked. If he did then you could have gotten medical help immediately  - or if it was too late for that he could have helped smooth over the discovery, if he didn't then he wouldn't have needed to send the text. No pass.

kdbug

• The only people that I need in my life are the ones that have shown me that they need me in theirs.
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 04:05:56 PM »
Oh no. He wasn't kidding, he really did think he ran over my cat. The worst part (in my eyes) is that we were talking about my DD's kitten at dinner that night. The kitten had been stolen and I told him "I know it sounds awful, but I'm glad it wasn't (my cat) because I would have been heart broken."

So, he knew my cat means a lot to me. I didn't bother to respond to the text that night but the next time I saw him I confronted him about it.  I told him that he really changed my opinion of him and he acted sort of remorseful. He has asked me out a few more times and I have honestly been busy, but I'm not really sure that I even want to make the effort.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 04:08:35 PM »

Oh Ö no. No no no. No pass. Thatís pretty bad. Yeah, of course he was nervous; he should have been nervous. He also should have at least stopped! And by text he said that? Oh, no. Sorry, thatís cruel.

If he really did think he ran over your cat he should have gotten out of the car and checked. If he did then you could have gotten medical help immediately  - or if it was too late for that he could have helped smooth over the discovery, if he didn't then he wouldn't have needed to send the text. No pass.

Exactly.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

sisbam

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 04:10:28 PM »
He has asked me out a few more times and I have honestly been busy, but I'm not really sure that I even want to make the effort.

Like I said, give him a pass... ::)

I'm glad he had the decency to look remorseful at the very least.

NamŠriŽ

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 04:10:39 PM »
Sure, I'd give him a pass - a pass on d@ting. Maybe friendship, too. Fail...  ::) :( >:(

Agreed.

Total empathy fail. Sort of remorseful? Not enough.
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com