Author Topic: I think I ran over your cat. Sorry.  (Read 10534 times)

penguinpants

Re: I think I ran over your cat. Sorry.
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2010, 08:22:16 AM »
I think I need to shower after reading about this man.  Seriously, there are animals that set off my "ick" factor (cats are not one of them) -- I loathe them, I don't like looking at them, I refuse to touch them, I prefer not staying in houses where they're present, AND I'll be dead before they're allowed in my own home.  BUT other people love them, and other people make pets of them.  Our dear friend recently lost his beloved pet, and I didn't even think about how gross those kinds of pets are; I simply thought about our friend's pain and what a sweet and good person he was to be so devoted to his pets. 

This situation is less about how dorkboy feels about a particular type of animal than about how he feels he needs to treat other people. 
Surprises are foolish things. The pleasure is not enhanced, and the inconvenience is often considerable. -- Jane Austen

Jocelyn

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2010, 11:43:39 PM »
That is exactly what his responce to me confronting him was! He was "sorry" that I was upset with him but the way he was raised it wasn't a big deal because a cat was a cat and blah blah blah. Jerk.
He served you notice: when his perspective and yours clash, he will drive right over your perspective. Your emotional needs are insignificant compared to his.
This is the sort of guy who drops his pregnant wife off at the ER and goes to keep his golf date. After all, women are in labor for hours, he can go play golf and get back in plenty of time before the baby's born....

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2010, 08:01:28 AM »
That is exactly what his responce to me confronting him was! He was "sorry" that I was upset with him but the way he was raised it wasn't a big deal because a cat was a cat and blah blah blah. Jerk.
He served you notice: when his perspective and yours clash, he will drive right over your perspective. Your emotional needs are insignificant compared to his.
This is the sort of guy who drops his pregnant wife off at the ER and goes to keep his golf date. After all, women are in labor for hours, he can go play golf and get back in plenty of time before the baby's born....

...people do this in real life??

In a word - yes. Absolutely.

Finish the paperwork, the golf date with that important client, the emails for that new project, etc, etc. Some companies actually expect you to do this, and some people just consider it a waste of time to sit and wait for their kid to be born.

[massive sarcasm] Because, you know, it isn't a once-in-a-lifetime event or anything. The kid will be around for years. They can afford to miss a few (thousand) minutes of the kid's life. ::) [/massive sarcasm]
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Jocelyn

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2010, 10:22:16 AM »
Well, I was referring to a man who'd do it voluntarily (not because his employer was hassling him). But yes, there are men who figure 'she'll be in labor for 12 hours or more, why should I be sitting in the hospital when there's plenty of time for me to keep with my plans for the day. It's not as if my being there will make her have the baby faster.'

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2010, 05:50:19 PM »
The people I know don't necessarily have a problem with their employer - they have a problem with themselves. The employer just feeds that problem.

One person I know had surgery and was answering work e-mails in the recovery room on his Blackberry. His boss did not want him to. He was heavily drugged and apparently not making a lot of sense. But he just had to finish that last email.

I'd feel sorry for his wife, but she was the one who gave the Blackberry to him. ::)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2010, 06:35:43 PM »

Yup. My BFF in high school had a baby (at 16, HER BabyDaddy was there beside her) and the 34 y.o. SAHM sharing her labor room was lying on the bed, crying through every contraction and having major anxiety over her husband being off with his friends and whether he would be back in time. She had NO ONE.

BFF sent HER man over to rub the poor woman's back. (After inquiring whether the woman would like to make use of him. Appartently he was very willing to do so, but had been reluctant to ask the woman if she would like him to. You know, since he was indeed a 17 y.o. boy in a MickyDee uniform.) BFF still talks about how she felt so much pity for that woman, and so much rage at the husband.

BTW: The woman CALLED her husband and begged him to come because she was in active labor and my BFF could hear the man laughing at her over the phone.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2010, 09:28:20 PM »

Yup. My BFF in high school had a baby (at 16, HER BabyDaddy was there beside her) and the 34 y.o. SAHM sharing her labor room was lying on the bed, crying through every contraction and having major anxiety over her husband being off with his friends and whether he would be back in time. She had NO ONE.

BFF sent HER man over to rub the poor woman's back. (After inquiring whether the woman would like to make use of him. Appartently he was very willing to do so, but had been reluctant to ask the woman if she would like him to. You know, since he was indeed a 17 y.o. boy in a MickyDee uniform.) BFF still talks about how she felt so much pity for that woman, and so much rage at the husband.

BTW: The woman CALLED her husband and begged him to come because she was in active labor and my BFF could hear the man laughing at her over the phone.

Kimblee that is horrible!  That poor woman.  Good for BFFs babydaddy though, he is a better person than the lady's husband.  That was very sweet of him to offer his support.

Yup, BFF BabyDaddy has been BFF Husband for about four years now, and she still says that his willingness to be "loaned" was part of what convinced her that she could make it work out.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Larrabee

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2010, 06:45:37 AM »
I know I'm coming in late here, but I completely agree with the consensus.  No pass, no friendship, absolutely no respect for this person.  

I don't even particularly like cats, but when I hit one I was seriously shaken and pulled over straightaway, unfortunately nothing could be done for the poor thing but I got over my nerves and checked this very seriously mangled cat's collar for a phone number  as he was obviously cared for.  There was no address, no number, nothing I could do, and I drove off in tears that someone would be waiting for their cat to come home not knowing it wasn't going to happen.  

I can't imagine being able to be so blase about killing or hurting somebody's loved pet. 

Pandora

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2010, 04:03:19 PM »

Well now I must confess my DH left me for about 3 hours to let the people who were already scheduled to put carpet down in the baby's room into the house. I went into labor a week earlier than expected. I encouraged him to go, heck I wanted that carpet!

Calypso

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2010, 06:09:54 PM »
YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!!!

No pass, that's disgusting. Someone else hit the nail on the head - non-empathy to the nth degree. You don't need that junk in your life.

I am *really* curious what his response was when you confronted him though.

*snarf* Gandalf for the win!

kdbug, I'm so relieved it was your brother (who, I will assume, is still a teen and rather clueless) and not a girlfriend giving you such terrible advice; I'd hate to think another woman would suggest that you deserve no better than a weak, cowardly, un-imaginative (because, even after you TOLD him how much your cat meant to you, he couldn't imagine anyone feeling differently than he did), callous and putrid excuse for a y-chromosomed being. I don't even know you and I KNOW you deserve much, much better.

And hearing about Kimblee's friend's BabyDaddy has made my day. Thank you. It just goes to show---it's not even "maturity" (so I shouldn't have made that assumption about kdbug's brother being a teen) -- it's character--BabyDaddy has it, in spades. Kdbug almost but NOT (i hope) boyfriend wouldn't know "character" if it ran over him and then sent him a text. :-X :P

kdbug

• The only people that I need in my life are the ones that have shown me that they need me in theirs.
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »
Calypso,

It was actually the guys brother, not mine.  ;)

My brother is a big 'ol softy that wound NEVER think of doing something like that.

Calypso

« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2010, 02:01:22 AM »
Oh, good! Really glad to be wrong on that one!  8)