Author Topic: Chelsea Clinton Ruining Another Woman's Wedding?  (Read 10001 times)

Yankee-Belle

Chelsea Clinton Ruining Another Woman's Wedding?
« on: July 21, 2010, 01:17:15 PM »

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/sex/will-chelsea-clintons-wedding-ruin-mine-a-bridal-nightmare-2077400/

On one hand I can see that it could be a logistical nightmare, but really, was Chelsea supposed to call around to make sure no one was getting married on the same day?

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Chelsea Clinton Ruining Another Woman's Wedding?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 01:18:28 PM »
I know - I thought the same thing.  I can imagine being a bit worried, but I'd never talk to reporters about it...

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 01:22:12 PM »
How can this be considered anyone's fault?  I can't imagine it's easy finding a venue capable of handling 400 high profile guests to begin with, much less finding one in a place that will not impact anyone else.
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 01:23:57 PM »
Yeah, I can definitely understand being worried and frustrated and even privately annoyed, but it's not anyone's fault.

I do hope, though, that the local police and whoever else are able to figure out a way to keep security whatever it needs to be, but still allow this other wedding's guests to get where they have to go.  It's kind of extraordinary circumstances, so here's hoping everyone is understanding.

Namárië

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 01:41:23 PM »
I know - I thought the same thing.  I can imagine being a bit worried, but I'd never talk to reporters about it...

To her credit, the press sought her out, not the other way around. I could see someone who is already irritated giving in to the temptation to talk about it when pressed.

I do think it is ridiculous that the police can't talk about road closures in advance! I understand why, but it creates so much unnecessary hassle.
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 01:45:34 PM »
I've had a few delays and detours because of various Presidents. It's annoying, but you understand. But I will say there's a huge difference between having your flight delayed 30 minutes and your entire wedding turn into a logistical nightmare.

And the poor woman doesn't even know for sure if this is going to happen. I can't say I blame Chelsea but it would be nice if she recognizes it in some way.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 01:59:36 PM »
It certainly makes things hard when it turns out that the roads might be closed due to things you can't control and I don't blame the other woman for being worried about that.  But I agree that Chelsea's wedding shouldn't "ruin" the other one.

I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

lovestoread

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 02:04:47 PM »
I had to re-read a couple of times.. I thought the problem was going to be that Chelsea Clinton had gazumped the venue or the caterers or something!  I can understand the bride being annoyed, but surely there's ways and means round it?  I think the police should be a bit more cooperative, although they may not have all the information either!

My first real blog!!  (all comments appreciate

hardia

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 02:18:34 PM »
I have a friend whose husband's sister got married in Toronto a few weekends ago ... right in the middle of the G20 summit.  Like the bride in this story, she had booked everything ages ago, long before the G20 meeting was announced, and a couple of weeks before the wedding found out that the church they had booked for the ceremony was within the security perimeter and they and their guests would not be allowed inside the perimeter at all.  They had to scramble to find another downtown Toronto church (at the height of wedding season!) and rearrange all their plans.  Unfortunately, sometimes it happens.  I do, however, totally get this bride's irritation and frustration, especially as she can't get any information or even confirmation that it's going to happen at all, so she can't really make alternate plans.  I think the whole "Chelsea Clinton ruined my wedding" thing is a bit much, though -- it implies a nastiness or unpleasantness on Chelsea's part that I don't think is appropriate.

Ontario, Canada

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 02:39:20 PM »
I had to re-read a couple of times.. I thought the problem was going to be that Chelsea Clinton had gazumped the venue or the caterers or something!  I can understand the bride being annoyed, but surely there's ways and means round it?  I think the police should be a bit more cooperative, although they may not have all the information either!

Okay I admit I'm not familiar with the venues and the routes from one to another, but surely there can't be only one way to get from one place to another?   I think I'd be mildly annoyed, especially if directions to the venue had been included with the invitations for out of town guests.   But I wouldn't fault Chelsea for it, as there's no way she could have known.   You jump on Google maps or Mapquest and see if there are alternate routes that take about the same amount of time that the original one did, and hand out new printed directions to the guests at the ceremony, and for people who are only attending the reception you mail it to them.   
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 03:13:02 PM »

Okay I admit I'm not familiar with the venues and the routes from one to another, but surely there can't be only one way to get from one place to another?   I think I'd be mildly annoyed, especially if directions to the venue had been included with the invitations for out of town guests.   But I wouldn't fault Chelsea for it, as there's no way she could have known.   You jump on Google maps or Mapquest and see if there are alternate routes that take about the same amount of time that the original one did, and hand out new printed directions to the guests at the ceremony, and for people who are only attending the reception you mail it to them.   

I'd say that part of the problem is that the other couple won't know until shortly before their wedding whether or not streets will be closed or there will be a perimeter set up that will block access to their venue.  Apparently Clinton's venue is directly between their ceremony and reception venues and has to be passed to get there easily.  From the article, “If Chelsea’s wedding does happen, they’ll probably close all the roads and my guests will have to drive for an hour and a half to get from my ceremony to the reception, if they get there at all.”  The police may not be able to release information about what routes will be available until last-minute for security reasons.

I'm not excusing the whole "she ruined my wedding!!" thing, just pointing out that it really could be a logistical nightmare that no amount of planning could alleviate.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 03:19:46 PM »

It looks like a fairly rural area. If one or more of the major roads gets closed, there may not be an easy alternative route. I've lived in rural areas where if they have to close down the single road connecting two towns, the detour can take an hour or more, instead of the 10 to 15 minutes it would take normally. If that's the case for this bride, a detour could affect the start time of the reception significantly. And guests could get lost driving a longer, unfamiliar route.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 03:30:07 PM »
The press loves to stir this kind of thing up. They created reported a similar story about a bride in/near Crawford, Texas when the Bush's daughter got married there.

Chelsea Clinton really has no more control over this than Ms. Haddad-Friedman and it seems like she understands that. It sounds like this woman's vendors and venues are trying to be as accommodating as possible.  Hopefully, the police will cooperate with her as much as they are able on the day of the weddings. It's just a case of unfortunate timing.

President Bush, Sr. once made me an hour late for work.  8)
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Viscountess

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 03:33:12 PM »
While I understand the bride can be worried and frustrated about this but pointing a finger at Chelsea and accusing her of ruining her wedding isn't going to make the situation any better.  IMO, a bride who accuses another bride of unintentional ruining her wedding day comes off as childish and unpleasant to me.  I wish the best for both weddings to go as smoothly as possible.
"If you don't like something, then change it.  If you can't change it, then change your attitude towards it."

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 03:43:37 PM »
While I understand the bride can be worried and frustrated about this but pointing a finger at Chelsea and accusing her of ruining her wedding isn't going to make the situation any better.  IMO, a bride who accuses another bride of unintentional ruining her wedding day comes off as childish and unpleasant to me.  I wish the best for both weddings to go as smoothly as possible.

I don't think the bride was pointing a finger. The reported sought her out, not the other way around. She's simply just stating the logistical nightmare. I didn't read anywhere where she actually blames Chelsea.