Author Topic: Chelsea Clinton Ruining Another Woman's Wedding?  (Read 10075 times)

HushHush

Re: Chelsea Clinton Ruining Another Woman's Wedding?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 03:58:49 PM »
I actually thought the bride had a pretty typical and decent attitude about it.  She's frustrated because she can't make alternate plans, the press shows up and it seems the press said Chelsea was ruining her wedding, not the other bride.

Dealing with the logistics of a high profile wedding is not something the everyday person is prepared to handle.  She's unable to get any information from local authorities and alternate routes in a rural area could well take much much longer than originally planned.

Also, if there is a security perimeter that encompasses the other church or the reception venue, what then? The whole thing sounds like a nightmare for even an experienced planner much less a regular joe.  The final weeks before a wedding are incredibly stressful anyway and to add this on top of it?

She did say that all she needed to get married was her fiance, the minister and a witness.  She sounds pretty level headed if a bit overwhelmed.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 06:18:40 PM »
While I understand the bride can be worried and frustrated about this but pointing a finger at Chelsea and accusing her of ruining her wedding isn't going to make the situation any better.  IMO, a bride who accuses another bride of unintentional ruining her wedding day comes off as childish and unpleasant to me.  I wish the best for both weddings to go as smoothly as possible.

I don't think the bride was pointing a finger. The reported sought her out, not the other way around. She's simply just stating the logistical nightmare. I didn't read anywhere where she actually blames Chelsea.

She actually said that she knew Chelsea wasn't to blame.

kckgirl

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 06:48:30 PM »
The federal government is where the blame lies. I'm pretty sure it's the U.S. Secret Service's fault that the young lady can't get any information about whether she needs to make alternate plans.
Maryland

Viscountess

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 09:02:15 PM »
While I understand the bride can be worried and frustrated about this but pointing a finger at Chelsea and accusing her of ruining her wedding isn't going to make the situation any better.  IMO, a bride who accuses another bride of unintentional ruining her wedding day comes off as childish and unpleasant to me.  I wish the best for both weddings to go as smoothly as possible.

I don't think the bride was pointing a finger. The reported sought her out, not the other way around. She's simply just stating the logistical nightmare. I didn't read anywhere where she actually blames Chelsea.

Oops.  I missed the part where she said she didn't blame Chelsea.   
"If you don't like something, then change it.  If you can't change it, then change your attitude towards it."

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 09:19:05 PM »

Oops.  I missed the part where she said she didn't blame Chelsea.   

I think the headline was made up by the reporter and wasn't anything that Other Bride actually said.  I'd be pretty upset about that (the headline) if I was her.

Harlow

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 10:21:23 PM »
In my opinion, the other bride could have just said 'No comment". Even if the reporter did sought her out, she didn't need to talk to them. I honestly think after reading the story, she just wants a little bit of fame.

cbcb

• Canadian living in the US
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 10:36:30 PM »
The bride lost any sympathy from me she might have had with these quotes:

“I know she’s not doing it on purpose,” says the Brooklyn-based school teacher. “But Chelsea Clinton has taken what was supposed to be a special day for me turned it into hell.”

“If Chelsea’s wedding does happen, they’ll probably close all the roads and my guests will have to drive for an hour and a half to get from my ceremony to the reception, if they get there at all.”

Sure, hell. Just take a deep breath, lady. Stop imagining scenarios and then panicking "just in case".

I also think it's in poor taste to comment to the press about how your mom is working two jobs and paying for your whole wedding, and then give this little tidbit
So at this point, the thought of Chelsea with her 400 guests and coterie of wedding planners sets off the other bride-to-be. “We’re in a recession, we don’t have the highest paying jobs (her fiancé is a book-conservationist). I’m happy for Chelsea but she’s got planners and I’ve got my mom.”-

If you want it all "pro", then chip in a bit yourself.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 06:20:28 AM »
With an article like this one, where the reporter had to seek out the woman being interviewed, I can't tell how much is the bride just venting a little frustration at not knowing if Chelsea's wedding will be there or not and not being able to get any definite answer so that she can start to make alternate plans if she needs to (I know the uncertainty would be really, really bothering me). Or how much of this is a reporter looking for a story and grabbing at the "she ruined my wedding" angle and asking the bride to be leading questions and very carefully editing her replies to create a more interesting story--one that people will read and tell others about, so that more people come to read it.

Trying to read between the lines, I'm going with pretty sensible bride to be, reporter asking leading questions, and a good editor. The bride really doesn't come off as a huge bridezilla to me. She sounds more upset with the uncertainty than anything else.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

kckgirl

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 06:28:56 AM »
Camlan, I think you might be right. I went to a news conference once, stayed for the whole thing and listened carefully. When I read the article our local newspaper published the next day, I wondered if we (the reporter and I) had been in the same room. They had their premise before the reporter asked any questions, and obviously made the answers fit the premise.
Maryland

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 06:39:48 AM »
Camlan, I think you might be right. I went to a news conference once, stayed for the whole thing and listened carefully. When I read the article our local newspaper published the next day, I wondered if we (the reporter and I) had been in the same room. They had their premise before the reporter asked any questions, and obviously made the answers fit the premise.

It is surprising how it is possible to report the truth, but still manage to spin the overall impression you give the public. I lived for a while in a city that had a drug problem--big dealers from NYC used the city as an exchange point to get their wares further north in New England. It was a problem for law enforcement, but not for the average resident. And we did have a number of drug sales going on--mostly to people from outside the city who came there just to buy drugs. A major news program from a major network came out and did a feature on the city and the problem. They made it appear as if every other resident was shooting up on the town green, selling sex for drugs and robbing houses to get drug money. They made the city unrecognizable and omitted any mention of anything good about the place. No mention at all of the people from the wealthier, higher status cities who came in to buy drugs. Everyone was shocked when it aired. But it's all in how you spin the facts you have, which ones you highlight and which ones you conveniently bury.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 08:22:15 AM »
The press loves to stir this kind of thing up. They created reported a similar story about a bride in/near Crawford, Texas when the Bush's daughter got married there.

Chelsea Clinton really has no more control over this than Ms. Haddad-Friedman and it seems like she understands that. It sounds like this woman's vendors and venues are trying to be as accommodating as possible.  Hopefully, the police will cooperate with her as much as they are able on the day of the weddings. It's just a case of unfortunate timing.

President Bush, Sr. once made me an hour late for work.  8)

This of course means you have to tell me how he did that.   ;D
Stewart/Colbert '16

Yankee-Belle

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 09:10:10 AM »
The bride lost any sympathy from me she might have had with these quotes:

“I know she’s not doing it on purpose,” says the Brooklyn-based school teacher. “But Chelsea Clinton has taken what was supposed to be a special day for me turned it into hell.”

“If Chelsea’s wedding does happen, they’ll probably close all the roads and my guests will have to drive for an hour and a half to get from my ceremony to the reception, if they get there at all.”

Sure, hell. Just take a deep breath, lady. Stop imagining scenarios and then panicking "just in case".

I also think it's in poor taste to comment to the press about how your mom is working two jobs and paying for your whole wedding, and then give this little tidbit
So at this point, the thought of Chelsea with her 400 guests and coterie of wedding planners sets off the other bride-to-be. “We’re in a recession, we don’t have the highest paying jobs (her fiancé is a book-conservationist). I’m happy for Chelsea but she’s got planners and I’ve got my mom.”-

If you want it all "pro", then chip in a bit yourself.

I think this is what bothered me about the story - her quotes. But I do think the writer sensationalized the story too.

If Chelsea's wedding happens on the same day and same town, I hope this woman can get the logistics figured out before hand.

The press loves to stir this kind of thing up. They created reported a similar story about a bride in/near Crawford, Texas when the Bush's daughter got married there.

Chelsea Clinton really has no more control over this than Ms. Haddad-Friedman and it seems like she understands that. It sounds like this woman's vendors and venues are trying to be as accommodating as possible.  Hopefully, the police will cooperate with her as much as they are able on the day of the weddings. It's just a case of unfortunate timing.

I had been detained by him too! It was when he would go visit his mother.  :)

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 09:37:30 AM »
This of course means you have to tell me how he did that.   ;D
He was in Houston for some event during his presidency and I was on the wrong side of the freeway when the motorcade passed. Poor planning on someone's part to move him during morning rush hour. ;)

Several years after they retired here, I walked in the Turkey Trot 5K. Of course all the streets on the race route were closed, so we were surprised when we were asked to move over to allow a vehicle to pass. Was it an ambulance? Was someone hurt? Nope. It was a big, black SUV with darkly tinted windows, one of which rolled down to reveal Barbara Bush waving and wishing us all a happy Thanksgiving!
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 10:33:38 AM »
I had to re-read a couple of times.. I thought the problem was going to be that Chelsea Clinton had gazumped the venue or the caterers or something!  I can understand the bride being annoyed, but surely there's ways and means round it?  I think the police should be a bit more cooperative, although they may not have all the information either!

Okay I admit I'm not familiar with the venues and the routes from one to another, but surely there can't be only one way to get from one place to another?   I think I'd be mildly annoyed, especially if directions to the venue had been included with the invitations for out of town guests.   But I wouldn't fault Chelsea for it, as there's no way she could have known.   You jump on Google maps or Mapquest and see if there are alternate routes that take about the same amount of time that the original one did, and hand out new printed directions to the guests at the ceremony, and for people who are only attending the reception you mail it to them.   

It looks like a fairly rural area. If one or more of the major roads gets closed, there may not be an easy alternative route. I've lived in rural areas where if they have to close down the single road connecting two towns, the detour can take an hour or more, instead of the 10 to 15 minutes it would take normally. If that's the case for this bride, a detour could affect the start time of the reception significantly. And guests could get lost driving a longer, unfamiliar route.

It is & I think that this is where the real worry is - if the Clinton wedding *does* take place there it will take a really long time for her guests to be able to get to the reception (I believe she said probably over an hour and a half when it should normally take 20 min?) if they can get there at all.

I agree with PP's who think that the reporter went into this interview with their mind made up about what they wanted to write.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 01:34:22 PM »
In my opinion, the other bride could have just said 'No comment". Even if the reporter did sought her out, she didn't need to talk to them. I honestly think after reading the story, she just wants a little bit of fame.

And that little but of fame may get her just enough attention to make sure that even if the roads are closed her guests will still be allowed to use them. Or at least enough notice to print new maps, and maybe the Clinton's can cover an extra hour or two for them at her venue.

I admit her whinging about 2 years to pay for the wedding was fingernails on chalkboard, but I don't blame her at all for using this to try and get notice to Clinton, so she can send the orders down to help her out.

60 seconds from a celeb or a politican is worth hours on the phone by anyone else.