Author Topic: Chelsea Clinton Ruining Another Woman's Wedding?  (Read 9619 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Chelsea Clinton Ruining Another Woman's Wedding?
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2010, 10:47:55 AM »
I have to say, since i can't watch a news show without being hammered by speculation and discussion of Chelsea CLinton's wedding I am starting to fee a bit of sympathy for the bride in the news story.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2010, 11:41:55 AM »
I didn't get the impression that the "other" bride was whining at all!!!

I think she was simply expressing her understandable disappointment that her own special day, which she had been anticipating and planning for for a long long time, had been suddenly and totally unexpectedly usurped for a much larger and higher profile event which was going to inconvenience her entire wedding party and the guests.

I don't blame her for being a little upset and frankly, I think she is handling with as much maturity and etiquette savvy as anyone could expect under those circumstances.

She wasn't complaining about the two quite different financial issues either.  She was merely saying that her family (specifically her Mom) had had to work very hard to earn and save the money for this one day in her life and that her wedding is JUST AS IMPORTANT to her family as the far more extravagant Clinton wedding is to Chelsea's!

And she's right.   She thought she would not be "sharing" this day/location with anyone else and she truly has been pushed to the rear here!  The circumstances DO change things for her.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 11:43:28 AM by gramma dishes »

kckgirl

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2010, 01:44:35 PM »
So, now that the day is over, does anybody know what happened with the other bride and how the Clintons' plans might have made hers difficult? I'm wondering if anybody made any accommodations for her guests.
Maryland

evely28

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2010, 02:10:57 PM »
I read that the wedding planner gave neighbors a bottle of wine and a nice note, apologizing for any inconvenience and a phone number to call if they had any problems.

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2010, 02:55:36 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/08/01/2010-08-01_other_wedding_goes_off_without_a_hitch.html

It says her wedding went off without any problems. One guest was a little rude about Chelsea's wedding, but  bride and groom didn't give any interviews.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2010, 06:30:33 PM »

I think she was simply expressing her understandable disappointment that her own special day, which she had been anticipating and planning for for a long long time, had been suddenly and totally unexpectedly usurped for a much larger and higher profile event which was going to inconvenience her entire wedding party and the guests.

I don't blame her for being a little upset and frankly, I think she is handling with as much maturity and etiquette savvy as anyone could expect under those circumstances.

She wasn't complaining about the two quite different financial issues either.  She was merely saying that her family (specifically her Mom) had had to work very hard to earn and save the money for this one day in her life and that her wedding is JUST AS IMPORTANT to her family as the far more extravagant Clinton wedding is to Chelsea's!

And she's right.   She thought she would not be "sharing" this day/location with anyone else and she truly has been pushed to the rear here!  The circumstances DO change things for her.

I agree.

Wavicle

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2010, 06:37:28 PM »
That guests comment in that link is just silly. They say that the Clintons should have gone elsewhere because that area was personally significant to them so the Clintons should have gone to Martha's Vineyard. And there aren't people that have personal significance to the Vineyard that couldn't have been disrupted due to the Clinton wedding? I am guessing that it would have caused even more disruption considering that you need to ferry people in there and there were probably multiple weddings they would have messed up as opposed to one. For all we know they chose this one because it actually was less disruptive than other locations.

cbcb

• Canadian living in the US
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2010, 07:57:23 PM »
Seems like the bride in question just got herself all stressed about nothing, then. Glad her day wasn't "hell" after all.

referee

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2010, 03:14:12 PM »

I agree.

I do, too.

Kaymyth

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2010, 05:56:40 PM »
Seems like the bride in question just got herself all stressed about nothing, then. Glad her day wasn't "hell" after all.

It's also quite possible that the publicity she got from the interview gave the folks involved in the Clinton wedding a heads-up to make sure they didn't block off important roads.

I doubt we'll ever know for sure unless the Secret Service decides to spill the beans.

Yankee-Belle

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2010, 08:29:35 PM »
I am glad the other bride's wedding went off without a hitch.

kennedar

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2010, 11:46:09 PM »
The fact that the bride and groom refused to talk to the reporter after their wedding makes me think that the first interview was worded badly and there were leading questions. She obviously had no problem talking to the reporters before, and came out looking bad so I am not surprised that she did not say anything this time. If she had been ok with how the first interview appeared, she would have said something afterwards.

FTR I often use the term "hell" to mean bad. When our honeymoon was cancelled 2 weeks before the wedding because of swine flu, I referred to the resulting confusion "hell", and that was just out honeymoon. Heck, more than once I referred to the week before our wedding as "hell" because it was so busy and stressful! And this was without famous people getting married in the area.

Shea

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2010, 09:49:14 PM »
I have a feeling this may have been a case of the press doing their darndest to get a sensational story. Things may have been embellished, quotes taken out of context.

Some of her quotes did make me ::)  though. Chelsea's wedding has turned your day into "hell"? You're marrying a man you presumably love in a ceremony you've carefully and lovingly planned, and some inconvenience has turned that day into hell on earth? I know she's just exaggerating for effect, but that really rubbed me the wrong way. Took away some of my sympathy for what I'm sure must have been a frustrating situation.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2010, 09:56:17 PM »
It seemed to me that the other bride's real complaint was that she could not get any definite information, not that Chelsea Clinton's wedding was nearby on the same day.

When that article was written, her town was only a "likely" site for the Clinton wedding. So no one knew, or no one could tell the other bride if indeed the Clinton wedding was going to be there, or what roads would be closed and when. So she had no way to make alternative plans for her guests.

If you've been planning something for two years and suddenly there is the potential for a huge problem right smack in the middle of your plans, but no one can confirm or deny that the problem will exist, then I can't blame someone for being a bit upset.

And the reporter might have asked a leading question that caused her to use the word "hell." I've read that article three times now, and the more I read it, the more I feel that the writer was trying to create a sensational story out of very thin cloth indeed.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2010, 10:18:02 PM »
It seemed to me that the other bride's real complaint was that she could not get any definite information, not that Chelsea Clinton's wedding was nearby on the same day.

When that article was written, her town was only a "likely" site for the Clinton wedding. So no one knew, or no one could tell the other bride if indeed the Clinton wedding was going to be there, or what roads would be closed and when. So she had no way to make alternative plans for her guests.

If you've been planning something for two years and suddenly there is the potential for a huge problem right smack in the middle of your plans, but no one can confirm or deny that the problem will exist, then I can't blame someone for being a bit upset.

And the reporter might have asked a leading question that caused her to use the word "hell." I've read that article three times now, and the more I read it, the more I feel that the writer was trying to create a sensational story out of very thin cloth indeed.

Pod.  I'd wondered how this would turn out too.  It did seem to me that the reporter was pushing the envelope by using words like "ruin" and "hell" which overstated the irritation the bride felt, which was reasonable IMO.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC