Author Topic: Aargh!! This is why I don't go to the movies any more!  (Read 9998 times)

StillandSilent

Re: Aargh!! This is why I don't go to the movies any more!
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2010, 10:08:19 AM »
Aim for either the earliest or latest show, they are usually the least crowded.  A blind friend and I have a standing date for the Harry Potter movies, as well as whatever else catches our fancy, and we try to aim for those.
As an additional note, I do describe the movie for him, and yes, this can be done in a very quiet voice that does not disturb those around you.  If the guy on his other side can hear you talking, you are doing it way, way too loudly. 

Peggy Gus

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2010, 11:22:06 AM »
The last couple of times I have been to the movies (and they were kids movies) the movie was so loud I couldn't have heard a cannon go off. I literally had to hold my hands over my nephews ears because it was so loud and he said it was hurting him. About halfway through someone must have complained so they turned it down some.

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2010, 11:40:42 AM »
We've gotten to the point that we wait a couple of weeks before we see a movie - not only is the theater usually a lot less crowded (we saw The Karate Kid yesterday I think there might have been 10 other people there!) but our local theater does $5 movies & movies are only eligible after they have been out for awhile.  So not only do we usually get a better experience, it costs us less than 1 *regular* movie ticket!

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2010, 12:57:05 PM »
The theater I normally go to is very strict about young children.  They will not allow children under age 10 (I think that is the age) to an R-rated movie after 6 pm, whether or not accompanied by a parent or adult.  It has even been written about in the newspapers.  But it is fairly well known in the community that the management has no trouble with asking people to leave if they are unruly, and so disturbances there are rare and/or minor.

When the movie "Memento" (the one where the plot runs backwards) came out, the movie projector briefly broke down about half way through.  The audience, which had been very quiet up until then, shouted as one, "Nnnnnoooooooooo!"  The movie was so engrossing that it was hard to wait the 2 minutes for it to be fixed.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
DH and I went to see "The Sorceror's Apprentice" last night, and there was one thing that really bothered me.  At the end of the movie (not the credits, just near the very end), someone behind us shouted "Applause!", and a whole group of people started applauding.  Then another scene started, the applause died down, and it started again when the movie actually ended.  I commented, quietly, to DH, "There's no need for applause!" and he said "Yeah, they can't hear you!" a bit louder.  The people applauding must have heard  :-[ because they stopped applauding and when they came down the stairs, they gave us very dirty looks. 

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2010, 01:24:18 PM »
I've seen people applaud, but only after a particularly good movie and ONLY after the credits started. I think it's a natural expression of appreciation.

- PeasNCues, who applauds at movies with the crowd.  ;D
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2010, 01:26:48 PM »
[/quote]

Me too!  ;D

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2010, 01:27:41 PM »
Quite a few people applauded at the end of Despicable Me.  I think it is just like yelling at the characters.  It doesn't do any good to tell the people to NOT open that door.  They are going to do what the script wrote.  If you are into a movie, then your natural instincts take over.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2010, 01:28:35 PM »

Me too!  ;D
[/quote]

If everyone's applauding, I can see joining in, but if 3 or 4 people are applauding, and everyone else is turning around and staring at them in an effort to let them know they're being noisy, then it's not appropriate!

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2010, 01:31:41 PM »
If everyone's applauding, I can see joining in, but if 3 or 4 people are applauding, and everyone else is turning around and staring at them in an effort to let them know they're being noisy, then it's not appropriate!
This is true!
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2010, 01:40:53 PM »
This is true!

Yeah, I agree with that.  The last movie I applauded was Toy Story 3, at the end of the credits.  The rest of the threatre cheered as well.  I see much applauding with midnight showings.  Those shows are filled with a certain energy that I just love.  Honestly, I see less rudeness at midnight showings since people that go to those showings tend to be true fans of the movie, genre, actor, director, etc.

TylerBelle

« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2010, 01:53:31 PM »
I've applauded at the end of movies, during the credits. I remember friends and I, plus many others in the audience, going bonkers at the end of Rocky III. Yes, true, of course the actors don't know / can't hear of your applause, but that's not the point. I see it as showing an appreciation of the work, and it's a good release if the film was especially moving for you.

OH THE HUMANITY.  You'd have thought I'd asked them to have her drawn and quartered.  They rose in a huff, gathered up their children and all their leftover food and most of them stormed (STORMED) out of the theater.  I was shocked; I never insinuated they had to leave!  As they were huffing away, a white-napkin-wrapped missile flashed past my face, just missing it, and thudded into DH's chest.  A pickle!  The mother had thrown a half-eaten PICKLE at us!!    :o

So the father walks down the aisle toward us, I'm stupidly thinking maybe to apologize?  Nah.  He said, "That was the RUDEST thing I've ever seen!"  Talking about me, duh.  But I smiled at him (it was dark, he couldn't see it but maybe he heard it in my voice) and said.  "I agree, and I accept your apology."

OH MAN he couldn't get out of there fast enough.  I'm just glad they didn't know what we were driving!

Wow, just wow. There was no point to the huffiness of the family's feeling they had to go, not to mention the wife's actions with the pickle throwing which was really inane. Simply contain the child and enjoy the movie was all they needed to do. Kudos to the smooth, quick reply to the husband's seemingly attempt to continue the tackiness.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2010, 02:59:30 PM »
Quite a few people applauded at the end of Despicable Me.  I think it is just like yelling at the characters.  It doesn't do any good to tell the people to NOT open that door.  They are going to do what the script wrote.  If you are into a movie, then your natural instincts take over.

Don't open the door, don't go up the stairs, don't go down to the basement, don't go into the bar, Penhall!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2010, 03:11:13 PM »

So the father walks down the aisle toward us, I'm stupidly thinking maybe to apologize?  Nah.  He said, "That was the RUDEST thing I've ever seen!"  Talking about me, duh.  But I smiled at him (it was dark, he couldn't see it but maybe he heard it in my voice) and said.  "I agree, and I accept your apology."
Kudos to the smooth, quick reply to the husband's seemingly attempt to continue the tackiness.

Thanks!  Rarely do I come up with an appropriate comment in the moment, so I was surprised at myself. 

Re:  Small kids at inappropriate movies: I know I've posted before about toddlers we encountered at the original Blade.  The midnight showing.   ::)   Yeah.  They were just delighted with the experience. 

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2010, 03:15:42 PM »
I just remembered that when "E.T. The Extra Terrestrial" came out in theaters, I was 4 and went to see it with my parents and favorite aunt.  Remember the scene when Elliot and E.T first see each other in the field and they both scream?   

Their screams were joined by a 3rd as I jumped into my aunt's lap and wouldn't get out till the end of the movie.   I'm sure the other patrons just loved us. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata