Author Topic: Aargh!! This is why I don't go to the movies any more!  (Read 9378 times)

nannyogg

Re: Aargh!! This is why I don't go to the movies any more!
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2010, 03:27:27 PM »
One of the best movie experiences was when we were in Florida on holiday.  We went to the theatre in Celebration to the see Batman The Dark Knight and there were 4 other people apart from us and it was heaven.  On a side note, the teens manning the consession stand were awesome because we asked for popcorn but they pointed out that their popcorn was salted and they knew that people from our country expected it sweet.  Totally lovely of them and much appreciated.  We had M & M's instead!

A couple of our worst are - The last Harry Potter movie....we got there mad early to get good seats and in comes a family of 4 (as are we) literally two minutes before the movie is due to start.  There were very few seats left and they were all singles.  I guess we must have looked ummmm daft because the mum comes over and states that we should move so that her family could sit together....cue the four of us looking at each other and the kids starting to laugh.  (Rude I know but I think it was a case of I don't know how to react so I'm getting a fit of the giggles).  I quite mildly stated that I'm afraid that won't be possible (thanks guys) She retaliated with "But I have children"  I stated so do I...She replied "What am I supposed to do?"  DH states "Get here early enough to get seats?"  They stomped out of the cinema and we didn't see them again.

Robert Redford and Brad Pitt movie.....about spies I think and for the life of me can't think what it was called..anyhoo, was there with DH, my sister and my sisters BF (bodybuilder, could crack walnuts with one hand...this is important, but a very sweet, non confrontational guy)  A group of (we call them hoodies or chavs over here, dunno what you guys across the pond would call them...lets just say feral youths who would not know how to behave in public if it jumped up and bit them in the butt)  The movie had been on for about 10 minutes when the noise starts, shouting among themselves, text messages, loud phone conversations, throwing popcorn, swearing etc.  I lost it and marched down and informed them that I had paid to see the movie, not find out all the details of their friends personal lives and could they please quiet down.  This resulted in a serious amount of verbal abuse to which I did not take kindly.....the next shout was "JERRY!"  So down Jerry comes.  All 6'4" of him.  (He's nearly as wide too!)  He quietly informed them that if they didn't either shut up or leave he wouldn't be held responsible for the consequences.  They cleared out after that.  I did ask Jerry what the consequences were and he said "I would have had to get the usher"  We got to enjoy the rest of the movie in peace that the rest of the cinema gave him a round of applause!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:32:22 PM by nannyogg »

nannyogg

« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2010, 03:30:37 PM »
My son was about 5 when Star Wars Episode 2 came out, he is a huge Star Wars fan (as are his parents) so we all went together for opening night, with some friends for the 7 pm show (so DS wouldn't be up too late).  We spent the day discussing theatre behavior, and how he was going to sit between mom and I and he could whisper us questions, but no louder than a whisper.

We got to the movie and got good seats, on an aisle so if we needed to leave we wouldn't bother others.  The movie engrosssed him, I had never seen him sit silently for almost 2 hours.  Then the scene where Yoda pulled out his lightsaber to battle Dooku came on, there was a gasp from the whole crowd, and then from next to me "MOMDADYODAHASALIGHTSABER, YODAHASALIGHTSABERLOOKMOMDADYODAHASALIGHTSABER" In the most excited voice you can imagine.  I was super embarrassed for about 15 seconds, and then the entire theatre broke into laughter because it was obvious that DS was just so into the movie and the character.

One of my favorite movie-going memories.

Totally adorable, that would have cracked me up!

catlady106

« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2010, 05:45:59 PM »
My son was about 5 when Star Wars Episode 2 came out, he is a huge Star Wars fan (as are his parents) so we all went together for opening night, with some friends for the 7 pm show (so DS wouldn't be up too late).  We spent the day discussing theatre behavior, and how he was going to sit between mom and I and he could whisper us questions, but no louder than a whisper.

We got to the movie and got good seats, on an aisle so if we needed to leave we wouldn't bother others.  The movie engrosssed him, I had never seen him sit silently for almost 2 hours.  Then the scene where Yoda pulled out his lightsaber to battle Dooku came on, there was a gasp from the whole crowd, and then from next to me "MOMDADYODAHASALIGHTSABER, YODAHASALIGHTSABERLOOKMOMDADYODAHASALIGHTSABER" In the most excited voice you can imagine.  I was super embarrassed for about 15 seconds, and then the entire theatre broke into laughter because it was obvious that DS was just so into the movie and the character.

One of my favorite movie-going memories.

Totally adorable, that would have cracked me up!

This reminds me of the time when our high school band saw Spiderman while on a band trip.  There were some kids in the audience, and they all seemed very engrossed and into the movie.

At one part of Spiderman, there was a major fight between Spidey and another character, can't really remember who.  The whole theater was fairly quiet.  Then, the "evil" character knocked Spidey down.  From the front of the theater, we heard a young voice loudly cry "No, Spidey!  You can do it!  Get up!"

Cutest thing ever.   

Ginderette

• Working on my Social Interaction +1 Skill...
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2010, 06:31:37 PM »
This reminds me of when I went to see Mr. & Mrs. Smith. The scene is in their battle ruined home with guns pointing at each other.

Dead silence.

From a young girl, "Just SHOOT him!" The rest of the audience laughed at loud, for that was a curious break from the tension.

The other time where the audience got very active was when I watched The Three Musketeers - when the Prince of France finally upper cuts the evil cardinal there was cheering to be heard.
"Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." ~ Mark Twain

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2010, 07:20:01 PM »
There's a big difference to me when people are just really into the movie and when they're being obnoxious and self-absorbed.  So someone who cheers or shouts something out at a tense moment is, to me, a fun part of the theater experience.  Someone chatting loudly with their companion the whole time is not.  It's a matter of whether it's a brief exclamation or a repeated thing, and how aware they are of the people around them.

high dudgeon

« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2010, 09:30:12 AM »
There's a big difference to me when people are just really into the movie and when they're being obnoxious and self-absorbed.  So someone who cheers or shouts something out at a tense moment is, to me, a fun part of the theater experience.  Someone chatting loudly with their companion the whole time is not.  It's a matter of whether it's a brief exclamation or a repeated thing, and how aware they are of the people around them.

It really doesn't make any difference to me. Whatever their reason for talking, whether they are really into the movie, or too young to handle it, or developmentally delayed, or just being self-absorbed, it still doesn't make it any easier for me to hear the movie I paid to hear, and it's very distracting. While I'm sure many people found the kids' outbursts to be cute, I'm sure there were just as many rolling their eyes and wondering why their parents weren't putting a stop to it immediately and thinking about getting an usher. If the children are too young or immature to control their own behavior, no matter how awesome or exciting the movie is, then I think they need to be at the designated children's showing, or watching it on DVD at home.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2010, 09:53:20 AM »
Our local Regal theater has children's showings on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10am, I think.   They're not new movies, usually ones that have been out for a year or so, like "Tale of Sir Despereaux" or "G-Force".    I've heard of some theaters that have showings geared towards those with developmental delays, autism, aspergers, etc.   It's not as dark or loud as most theaters, to avoid triggering any sensory issues.

I think it's a great idea, so that parents with small kids or ones with challenges can still take their kids to movies without worrying about disturbing other patrons if their child gets upset, or needs to get up and move around or talk.   

I do think that if a little kid really gets into a scene and just shouts out once, and is quiet the rest of the movie, it's not too bad.   It's when kids are talking constantly and the parents don't show any sign of stopping them, or if the kids are scared and wanting to go home and the parents don't take them out cause they want to see the movie. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2010, 09:56:17 AM »
When I go to the movies, I never expect complete silence.  If I want and expect that, I will stay in my living room.  Clapping during the credits is fun.  One surprised reaction is tolerable.  That lasts a few seconds and then it's over and done.  However, talking on the phone or with companions, a running commentary, or doing that fake screaming throughout the movie is not tolerable.

high dudgeon

« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2010, 10:04:52 AM »
I'd certainly understand that people can't help a gasp or a laugh or something like that. And I don't expect dead silence, because people can't help but make a little noise just by existing. But "MOMDADYODAHASALIGHTSABER, YODAHASALIGHTSABERLOOKMOMDADYODAHASALIGHTSABER" or "Don't go down to the basement! You'll be killed" are not appropriate theater behavior for a non-children's showing.

Cellardoor14

• caviar and cigarettes... well versed in etiquette
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2010, 10:08:24 AM »
Robert Redford and Brad Pitt movie.....about spies I think and for the life of me can't think what it was called..anyhoo, was there with DH, my sister and my sisters BF (bodybuilder, could crack walnuts with one hand...this is important, but a very sweet, non confrontational guy)  A group of (we call them hoodies or chavs over here, dunno what you guys across the pond would call them...lets just say feral youths who would not know how to behave in public if it jumped up and bit them in the butt)  The movie had been on for about 10 minutes when the noise starts, shouting among themselves, text messages, loud phone conversations, throwing popcorn, swearing etc.  I lost it and marched down and informed them that I had paid to see the movie, not find out all the details of their friends personal lives and could they please quiet down.  This resulted in a serious amount of verbal abuse to which I did not take kindly.....the next shout was "JERRY!"  So down Jerry comes.  All 6'4" of him.  (He's nearly as wide too!)  He quietly informed them that if they didn't either shut up or leave he wouldn't be held responsible for the consequences.  They cleared out after that.  I did ask Jerry what the consequences were and he said "I would have had to get the usher"  We got to enjoy the rest of the movie in peace that the rest of the cinema gave him a round of applause!

We had a similar experience watching a film in a dodgy area of north London.  Mr Cellardoor is a pretty mild-manner looking guy (long hair, glasses..etc).  He is also not a large man, but he does easily speak his mind.  Anyway, we were watching a show when around 10 minutes in, twenty hoodie teenagers entered, and made a real fuss when trying to sit down.  They kept getting louder and louder until Mr Cellardoor said in a loud voice. "Quiet in front! The movie's started."  The kids whispered to each other, and one said in an affected deep voice "Who said that?".  Mr Cellardoor came back loudly with "I said it. Now quiet down or else!"  

And you know what?  All the kids sat down, and didn't make a peep the rest of the movie.   ;D

Edited to Add:  Of course afterwards when asked about about the "or else" bit, Mr Cellardoor replied "Or else I was going to have to talk to the management."
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:35:11 AM by Cellardoor14 »

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2010, 02:10:20 PM »

It really doesn't make any difference to me. Whatever their reason for talking, whether they are really into the movie, or too young to handle it, or developmentally delayed, or just being self-absorbed, it still doesn't make it any easier for me to hear the movie I paid to hear, and it's very distracting. While I'm sure many people found the kids' outbursts to be cute, I'm sure there were just as many rolling their eyes and wondering why their parents weren't putting a stop to it immediately and thinking about getting an usher. If the children are too young or immature to control their own behavior, no matter how awesome or exciting the movie is, then I think they need to be at the designated children's showing, or watching it on DVD at home.

Well, a one-time outburst is just that, an outburst.  It's not something prolonged that's going to keep me from being able to hear and enjoy the movie.  If it keeps going longer than that, then it goes into the "obnoxious and self-absorbed" category.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2010, 02:17:34 PM »

Well, a one-time outburst is just that, an outburst.  It's not something prolonged that's going to keep me from being able to hear and enjoy the movie.  If it keeps going longer than that, then it goes into the "obnoxious and self-absorbed" category.

See, I can understand that the obnoxious and self-absorbed statement can be a little strong, but I hate when people have outbursts at the movies because it's very distracting from the moment. It's hard to bury yourself in an important/epic point in the movie when a kid can't contain his excitement. :)
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Wendy Moira Angela Pan

• Formerly Ms. Wendy
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2010, 02:24:03 PM »
I so know what you mean PeasNCues. I went to see Inception last weekend, and there were some emotional moments toward the end that I was getting really into. But apparently this kid behind me thought they were cheesy or something because he was laughing loudly. It was so annoying and distracting. Like, yes, we see you're very cynical and you think this is lame. Thank you.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »
I was at a movie where a group of young teens came trooping in to the front of the theatre during the previews, trooped back out to get popcorn and trooped back in with much giggling and chatter after the movie started.  And didn't settle.

My companion was getting more and more tense and I knew her outburst would be non-Ehell approved so I decided to speak up.  I was a little rude (pre-Ehell days) but much better than my friend would have been:

'Would you children either sit down and shut up or get out.  The rest of us are here to watch this movie.'

You could have heard a pin drop.  Then a quiet 'Sorry' from the front row and applause from behind us.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

libraryliz

« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2010, 04:29:26 PM »
I so know what you mean PeasNCues. I went to see Inception last weekend, and there were some emotional moments toward the end that I was getting really into. But apparently this kid behind me thought they were cheesy or something because he was laughing loudly. It was so annoying and distracting. Like, yes, we see you're very cynical and you think this is lame. Thank you.

I was at the last Harry Potter movie and it was packed.  During a very emotional scene, when I was fighting tears and other people were audibly crying (opening night) and the young enlisted man (military town) next to me was laughing.  I turned to my officer BF and asked if he could order him to be quiet.  But apparently that's not the way the military works.
"I have never been especially impressed by the heroics of people convinced that they are about to change the world. I am more awed by those who struggle to make one small difference after another." -Ellen Goodman