Author Topic: Bad Neighbors: Don't Bring Too Many Books When You Move In  (Read 28370 times)

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
Re: Bad Neighbors: Don't Bring Too Many Books When You Move In
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2010, 04:13:54 PM »
I'm getting one from Amazon soon... Uh oh...

K_Bear

« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2010, 05:41:16 PM »
Hmmm...so, I'm packing to move as we speak(type?). I'm only bringing some of my furniture, and all the rest is art supplies & books...lots of books...tons of books. In fact I think more books than furniture. Not even bringing the books shelves(an excuse to get new ones ;) )

I wonder what my new neighbors will think of me and my DDs with almost nothing but books? ::)

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2010, 06:09:41 PM »
Hmmm...so, I'm packing to move as we speak(type?). I'm only bringing some of my furniture, and all the rest is art supplies & books...lots of books...tons of books. In fact I think more books than furniture. Not even bringing the books shelves(an excuse to get new ones ;) )

I wonder what my new neighbors will think of me and my DDs with almost nothing but books? ::)

if you pile them up "right" and toss an old blanket over them

they could be furniture.....
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2010, 07:19:41 PM »
That neighbor better never look in my house we have books in every room and lot of book cases and are still adding.  ;D

Wonder what that makes my family. :P

We have books everywhere and lots of bookcases.  Plus I work at home, so if someone sees that I rarely leave...  I do not, however, have a C cup. (Go further up the alphabet.)  Not only that, Mr. Sirius is bald with a beard so it should be obvious which genders we are unless someone is trying to be obtuse.

(Loved your "She'd have a duck", Auntie.  While I have no desire to be hospitalized, I hope I end up with a nurse like you.)

LEMon

« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2010, 08:56:18 PM »
I have enjoyed so many of the ehell 'conversations' about books.  Just get us all going and enjoy the talk.

Love my books.  DH and my boys have learned my wish list is for books and more books.  And if you can't do that, give me a gift certificate to a bookstore and get outta my way.

This years Christmas present from DH was a bookshelf.  He figured I would fill it gradually.  He looked a little stunned when I roped my sons into carrying books from my hiding spaces to the new bookshelf.  Yep, full.

(Another proud member of the BBB club)

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2010, 09:37:53 AM »
DH's younger step-sister just asked for a gift card to Books-A-Million for her birthday (I had asked what she wanted first). ;D She so tiny that she wouldn't qualify for the BBB club, but she definately has the books and the brains. At 5' even and less than 100lbs, I don't think I'd mind missing the last qualification either (she turns 16 this Saturday).

Her mom is a teacher, and is currently finishing up her degree (I think she's either almost done with her Masters or just started her doctorate...).  SMIL also likes to read for pleasure. Thanks to them, FIL and DH are begining to realize that maybe I'm not so odd afterall (still odd, just not AS odd, LOL).

VorFemme - DH says he used to read alot when he was younger, before he got to the point he needed glasses. Apparently, he used to do the same 'read by the nightlight' that I did, but suffered the consequences, while I haven't (yet). He'll still read his stuff for school, when he can't get around it, but I can understand the eyestrain and discomfort. Subject-wise, he likes alot of the same things I do, but settles for the TV/movie versions so that he doesn't have to read. I might look into audio books for him. Its not the same, but it might do some good. Maybe.

... He prefers cover photos but I keep telling him that with the title and author's name, he can always get help from the desk. He's so lost in a bookstore ::)
Ha Ha.  Now that is a non-reader. 

The problem with the cover photos is well, sometimes they change the cover art. And he doesn't know anything else in the series, so he just looks for the one book in the picture.

I just made up a list of my favorite book series (is there a plural for series? I need that word) and authors, with the titles for each book. Now I'm crossing out the ones I already have. Once I finish getting this together, I'm giving it to him to make shopping for birthday/Christmas/anniversary/surprise gifts for me easy. All he'll need to do is hit the bookstore (used or new) or amazon, and not have to worry about whether or not I like it...plus, if he shows the list to someone at the store, they can probably make recommendations to him for other things I may like.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2010, 11:23:37 AM »
...I might look into audio books for him. Its not the same, but it might do some good. Maybe....

Do the unabridged.  They aren't cheap, but go to the library. 

squashedfrog

« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2010, 11:31:14 AM »

if you pile them up "right" and toss an old blanket over them

they could be furniture.....

LOL!! I  did this at uni once, when I had a room so tiny that I'd taken up window sills and books shelves, , and then forgot it was just for show and leaned back after a hard day.  T'was an unglamourous position to be in, legs in the air under a sliding pile of books ...

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2010, 12:27:54 PM »
...I might look into audio books for him. Its not the same, but it might do some good. Maybe....

I'll talk to him about that idea. If I can start with some of my favorites, then I can finally conquer that problem of wanting to read while cooking or in the tub/shower (the stereo can easily stay out of the slash zone). Hmmmm...

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2010, 12:35:44 PM »

I'll talk to him about that idea. If I can start with some of my favorites, then I can finally conquer that problem of wanting to read while cooking or in the tub/shower (the stereo can easily stay out of the slash zone). Hmmmm...

I recently got Southern Honey turned onto it (there are also a lot of books available online for downloading to MP3 players and such for free or cheap), and he couldn't dislike reading anything longer than a short story more if you made him!

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2010, 01:07:08 PM »

I recently got Southern Honey turned onto it (there are also a lot of books available online for downloading to MP3 players and such for free or cheap), and he couldn't dislike reading anything longer than a short story more if you made him!

Right now, the longest I've ever seen him read (other than for school) is newspaper articles. But college requires enough reading that I cut him some slack, especially since he still pulls better grades than I do.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2010, 07:01:16 PM »
He might like a book on fishing!

My sister has found, as she ages and her sight changes that reading is not as easy & fun as it was in our youth.

We have come to a dim understanding that maybe, just maybe, people who find that it strains their eyes might not LIKE to read as much as we do.

She used to stitch on 22 to the inch (22 to the 2.54 cm>) fabric and could SEE the fibers in the threads of the fabric and the embroidery floss.  No longer - she is now stitching on 14 ct and thinking that the next few projects will need to be 11 count.  She is also noticing a strain at work (engineer - lot of reading - both paper and computer screen) and isn't reading as much "for fun" when she gets home.

I am refusing VorGuy's offer of eye surgery as I still have pretty good close vision and don't want to risk loosing it when the doctor tries to "adjust" my vision to be better overall - the results are not guaranteed  (I like to sew, embroider, knit, and read).  VorGuy was the next thing to legally blind without his glasses - so he risked very little and is THRILLED not to have to wear anything but sun glasses any more!  He has three pairs (unless he's lost another pair - we've bought five pairs since the surgery).

Sometimes you can convert a non-reader to a reader if you offer a really, really good book on the right subject.

My favorite subjects are myriad - but I'm a known addict.  VorGuy "discovered" science fiction with DUNE - but hates The Cold Equations (spoiler - he insists that there had to have been a way for the stowaway to stay on board and live). 

All wonderful SonInLaw might need is the right book - his alma mater, fishing, or possibly football might do it - but AFTER he finishes his degree.  Nobody wants to distract a student from his school books...............

CRUD MONKEYS!, VorFemme, the Cold Equations KILLS me every time.  I saw a Twilight Zone version and cried like a fool knowing what was coming.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2010, 07:06:18 PM »

My library (Harris County) system has audio books available for Download.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Minmom3

« Reply #118 on: August 03, 2010, 11:38:31 PM »
She used to stitch on 22 to the inch (22 to the 2.54 cm>) fabric and could SEE the fibers in the threads of the fabric and the embroidery floss.  No longer - she is now stitching on 14 ct and thinking that the next few projects will need to be 11 count.  She is also noticing a strain at work (engineer - lot of reading - both paper and computer screen) and isn't reading as much "for fun" when she gets home.

At the local embroidery store we used to have, I got a magnifying glass that is 5x, that sits on the boobage.  Hangs on a cord around my neck, and has a small central spot that is 25X.  That's what I use to do my embroidery these days.  I used to be able to focus WAY close, for short periods, but can no longer do so, so I NEED that glass when I'm doing handwork.  I could still quilt without the glass, but I would not be able to get the names and date of birth on the baby quilts without that nice glass that sits there so nicely.  Like this, but mine has no light in it - http://www.jdr-be.com/N6865.htm

Oh, I think the household count of books here is about 1500 - 2000, and about 1000 - 1500 will be leaving with me when I move sometime next month, and my chestular count is DDD...  My tacky paperback scifi's are leaving with me, my even tackier paperback romances are leaving with me, and my not-so-tacky-so-they-can-go-in-the-living room books with pretty pictures and covers are going too.  DH will have his oh-so-lovely faux leather with gilt edges and his trade publications and texts, but there aren't that many of them, he has mostly DVD's and the TV!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2010, 02:01:57 PM »

My library (Harris County) system has audio books available for Download.

Mine, too.  It totally rocks.  The best part is, no late fees