Author Topic: Bad Neighbors: Don't Bring Too Many Books When You Move In  (Read 28396 times)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: Bad Neighbors: Don't Bring Too Many Books When You Move In
« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2010, 11:06:07 PM »
Saw on a tshirt today: "Don't lead me into temptation... or bookstores."

Well that's just redundant, isn't it?

There are other kinds of temptation, you know.  Like fabric stores.  Or baking supply/restaurant supply stores.  Or really good nurseries and garden supply stores.  There's lotsa temptation out there!  I couldn't possibly pick just one...   ;D

Yeah, but it's kind of like "I"d better avoid dessert... and chocolate."  It just leaves me thinking you're some weird chocolate and bookstore hating freak. ;)

And you left out scrapbook stores!  I'm not allowed to step foot inside one anymore.  Blows the budget.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2010, 07:12:29 PM »
Saw on a tshirt today: "Don't lead me into temptation... or bookstores."

Well that's just redundant, isn't it?

There are other kinds of temptation, you know.  Like fabric stores.  Or baking supply/restaurant supply stores.  Or really good nurseries and garden supply stores.  There's lotsa temptation out there!  I couldn't possibly pick just one...   ;D

A fabric store I went to in California was right next door to a used book store.  So, Mr. Sirius would go to the book store while I shopped for fabric, and then I'd join him.  He was usually sitting in one of their overstuffed chairs, his feet up on a hassock, reading some of his finds.  But he wasn't ready to leave yet.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2010, 10:41:33 PM »
A few years ago, I helped a friend move. Friend was splitting with Spouse, so we moved both of them into their respective new digs on the same day.

Friend e-mailed all those who had offered to help with the move, to let us know we would be moving both Friend and Spouse, and pointed out as fair warning that Spouse had Forty. Boxes. Of Books.

Friend has quite a few books, too, but nothing approaching 40. The heaviest things Friend needed moving were a ginormous computer monitor and a box of rolled coins. Seriously -- Friend had about $400 in coins!

We gamely schlepped Spouse's 40 boxes.

I've moved a lot over the years so have purged my book inventory on many occasions. If I'd kept all the books I'd ever owned, I'd probably be a 40-boxer, too. As it stands, I probably have about 300. Can I still join the BBB Club? (I definitely qualify on the other two B's.)
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2010, 10:43:53 PM »
I've moved a lot over the years so have purged my book inventory on many occasions. If I'd kept all the books I'd ever owned, I'd probably be a 40-boxer, too. As it stands, I probably have about 300. Can I still join the BBB Club? (I definitely qualify on the other two B's.)

Yeah, I only have about 550, but I'm real strict about making periodic trips to Half-Price Books.  Otherwise they take over my whole house. ;)  However, I'm an F.  Do I still qualify?

Ygraine

« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2010, 08:43:34 AM »
KenveeB and Baglady:  Of course you both qualify, and are cheerfully welcomed to our club.   

Ygraine

« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2010, 08:43:34 AM »
KenveeB and Baglady:  Of course you both qualify, and are cheerfully welcomed to our club.   

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2010, 03:29:32 PM »
I have buttons that say,

I gave my books their own room.  Now they want the whole house. Mine do!

Naturally you're out of book space.  Everyone is always out of book space. If you're not out of book space, you're probably not worth knowing. Yep, that's me.

I believe in libraries.  Everybody should have one. I do!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »
What is the Beatles' song about silly love songs?  Well, I want to fill the world with books.  There can't be too many, people are still writing and publishing NEW ones!

Same thing for silly love songs, there was a new one on the radio just the other day!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2010, 02:08:28 PM »
*submitting application for membership*

G reduced to D, boxes of books in closet from a move 3 years ago.
All bookcases full and ready for reading keptin!

Just donated another bag of books to the library yesterday.

Am I in? huh? huh?

Rosgrana

« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2010, 02:30:18 PM »
I own books...lots of books. And I have (highlight at the risk of jealousy) two library cards.  Yes, I do max them out, why do you ask?

I work in the library, so I solved the card-limit problem by making up cards for all the household... including my hamster! Well, why shouldn't hamsters have library cards? There's nothing on the form about what species you are! The nearest thing is "ethnic origin", so I put "Syrian". It doesn't ask how many legs the applicant's got!

bookworm317

• Proud child of the 80's
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2010, 06:11:08 PM »
I own books...lots of books. And I have (highlight at the risk of jealousy) two library cards.  Yes, I do max them out, why do you ask?

I work in the library, so I solved the card-limit problem by making up cards for all the household... including my hamster! Well, why shouldn't hamsters have library cards? There's nothing on the form about what species you are! The nearest thing is "ethnic origin", so I put "Syrian". It doesn't ask how many legs the applicant's got!

Well, if you want to get technical, you COULD say hamsters have 2 legs & 2 arms(they DO use their front paws as HANDS, after all!).

Corbin

« Reply #146 on: September 07, 2010, 01:35:55 PM »

That might be the funniest, most awesome thing I have ever seen, anywhere. You are my new hero (I thought I was slightly deviant for using my children's library cards when I run out of space on mine...)  :D
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #147 on: September 07, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »
oh heck - I live in small town central (lots of little towns close)

I just go to a different libiary and use one of my other 6 cards.....
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »
The nearest thing is "ethnic origin", so I put "Syrian". It doesn't ask how many legs the applicant's got!

Hmm- I have two Norwegian Forest cats, but one is Black and White, and the other is Ginger so I can't exactly tick the box marked "White Other"!
NE England

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #149 on: September 07, 2010, 03:48:20 PM »
They're Norwegian, they're of European origin, right?

Your library really asks about racial background? Is that of any particular interest to them?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."