Author Topic: Bad Neighbors: Don't Bring Too Many Books When You Move In  (Read 28515 times)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: Bad Neighbors: Don't Bring Too Many Books When You Move In
« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2010, 03:54:06 PM »
What kind of library limits do you guys have?  I've had 50-ish books out at a time, and haven't hit the limit, although I know there is one.  There is a limit of 20 for the hold list.  I've come close to that. 

Amava

« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2010, 03:58:37 PM »
What kind of library limits do you guys have?  I've had 50-ish books out at a time, and haven't hit the limit, although I know there is one.  There is a limit of 20 for the hold list.  I've come close to that. 

Mine is 10.

Rosgrana

« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2010, 10:14:13 AM »

Your library really asks about racial background? Is that of any particular interest to them?

Yes, it's something almost all public services in the UK try to keep track of. If, say, 20% of City X inhabitants are Kumquat, but only 3% of library users are, then we're either not providing what the Kumquat community want, or not publicising what we provide well enough. Having a service that isn't seen as sufficiently inclusive is a good way to get your funding slashed.

(The Mountain Rescue Service has real problems with this. For whatever reasons, mountain activities are significantly less popular with almost all the UK's minority fruit types, and the Mountain Rescue Service catch heck for not rescuing enough Kumquats. But if no Kumquats get into trouble on the mountain, they're a bit stuck. ::))

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2010, 11:00:24 AM »

Mine is 10.

Mine is 50 books, ten movies, not sure how many books on CD.

Corbin

« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2010, 03:34:26 PM »

Mine is 10.

Mine is 50 books, ten movies, not sure how many books on CD.
6. Which will barely get me through a plane trip...
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #155 on: September 08, 2010, 04:28:21 PM »
Six?!?  No wonder you guys have multiple cards.  I think I have 6 items waiting for me on the hold shelf at the library. 

This thread has made me realize that if ever I wanted to start a business which involved shipping scandalous items, I think the business name would have "books" in the title.  Except for whack-a-loons like DQ and this neighbor, people don't bat an eye at book shipments. 

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2010, 04:39:15 PM »
Sophia, you made me chuckle.  Let's just say that scandalous items are most certainly available from one of the internet's biggest book sellers.  It's almost as good as a plain brown wrapper, except if the kids see the box they want to know if there's anything in there for them.

Joannie81

« Reply #157 on: September 12, 2010, 12:54:55 PM »
In our house, you see books everywhere.  It's going to be hard when DD1 moves out because a lot of them are hers.  We will have to go through them to make sure she takes hers and not mine!  Plus I have my Nook with 10 pages of books so far.  (Have to wait until pay day to add a couple of more.  Plus I go through and get a lot of the free books offered.)  I think I could qualify for the BBB Club.  I have all 3 (D cup) books everywhere and I do have a brain that I use on occasion.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2010, 07:30:40 PM »
So, in short, your detail didn't bother me personally,
Groan!

[OK, back to reading the thread before commenting]
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

judecat

« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2010, 03:56:37 AM »
Hi,  I'm new here,  and very late for the party but I I just wanted to say that I need to be in your "who could possibly have that many books" club.

I rent a room in a boarding house,  I moved with a bed,  2 dressers,  a trunk,  5 boxes of cloths, computer, desk, chair and 4 bookshelves and 25 boxes of books.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2010, 10:56:54 AM »
Same here.  I had a lot of furniture, but I have four book cases I came with and two more that were built in to my walls....and at least twenty boxes of books.  Who is it that can live without books?

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2010, 11:11:38 AM »
Same here.  I had a lot of furniture, but I have four book cases I came with and two more that were built in to my walls....and at least twenty boxes of books.  Who is it that can live without books?

Tell me about it ::)

I was discussing e-readers with my sis the other day, and she said, 'well, it's not the same, there is just something about a book...'

Yah. Not a single bookshelf in her house, no books except for her kid's books (my niece is a reader, thank the PTB), and I doubt my sis has read a book in 20 years.

Incomprehensible to me.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2010, 01:38:19 PM »
you CAN be a huge reader and not have many books if you go to a libiary for all of them.

I have friends that do that.  To look at thier house you would think that they don't read a word that is printed

but get to know them and there is a stack of libiary books here and there in the house.  (they put them "away" when "company" is coming)

now me I have a "bazillion" books according to the kids.....
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2010, 01:51:17 PM »
you CAN be a huge reader and not have many books if you go to a libiary for all of them.

I have friends that do that.  To look at thier house you would think that they don't read a word that is printed

but get to know them and there is a stack of libiary books here and there in the house.  (they put them "away" when "company" is coming)

now me I have a "bazillion" books according to the kids.....

My mother is that kind of reader. I don't think she owns a single book, yet goes through 3 or 4 library books a week.

Trust me when I say my sister is not a reader  :P

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2010, 04:59:33 PM »
(The Mountain Rescue Service has real problems with this. For whatever reasons, mountain activities are significantly less popular with almost all the UK's minority fruit types, and the Mountain Rescue Service catch heck for not rescuing enough Kumquats. But if no Kumquats get into trouble on the mountain, they're a bit stuck. ::))

Maybe they can change the way they calculate the statistics? "We have a 0% failure rate in recuing kumquats who get lost on our mountain."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."