Author Topic: Bad Neighbors: Don't Bring Too Many Books When You Move In  (Read 27882 times)

Corbin

Re: Bad Neighbors: Don't Bring Too Many Books When You Move In
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2010, 06:23:28 PM »
(The Mountain Rescue Service has real problems with this. For whatever reasons, mountain activities are significantly less popular with almost all the UK's minority fruit types, and the Mountain Rescue Service catch heck for not rescuing enough Kumquats. But if no Kumquats get into trouble on the mountain, they're a bit stuck. ::))

Maybe they can change the way they calculate the statistics? "We have a 0% failure rate in recuing kumquats who get lost on our mountain."

Or hire kumquats to get lost. "Ok, we will be rescuing you in three hours. Here are some candy bars and a parka. See you then."
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #166 on: November 30, 2010, 05:35:24 PM »
(The Mountain Rescue Service has real problems with this. For whatever reasons, mountain activities are significantly less popular with almost all the UK's minority fruit types, and the Mountain Rescue Service catch heck for not rescuing enough Kumquats. But if no Kumquats get into trouble on the mountain, they're a bit stuck. ::))

Maybe they can change the way they calculate the statistics? "We have a 0% failure rate in recuing kumquats who get lost on our mountain."
That's the way to spin it, Twik! >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

stkatie00

« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2010, 01:08:39 PM »
We should all have this:

I realize this was several pages back / several months ago, but I totally have that nightgown!!  :D

And DH and I somehow managed to move MORE boxes of books even after donating 5 boxes of them during our last move than the one before!!  And yes, our friends are still talking about our book collection.

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2010, 03:08:32 PM »
Recently, my parents hosted a South American exchange student. At the time he arrived, Bard and I were (for a variety of reasons) living with my parents, but we had just signed a lease on an apartment and were getting ready to move. The exchange student happened to come across me kneeling in my old bedroom, packing up the mountains upon mountains upon freakin' Mt. Everests of books that lined the walls. "Wow," he said, "have you read all of these?"

I paused for a minute, looked around the room, and said "Yeah, I've probably read all or part of most pretty much all these books."

Cue wide-eyed look on exchange student's face. "Wow. I've only read, like, three books in my whole life."

Cue us exchanging looks of mutual "Holy...! Are you serious????"

I spent the rest of the day feeling very sad that there was someone in my house who had only ever read three books (I come from a very, very literary family. There are quite literally books in every single room of my parents' house, and we're all always reading two or three different books at once).
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2010, 07:44:46 AM »
What's worse, as described in another thread, when someone boasts about never reading at all.  I suspect that there are some people who see it in the same light as others who criticize people for watching too much TV.

Corbin

« Reply #170 on: December 09, 2010, 09:36:55 AM »
What's worse, as described in another thread, when someone boasts about never reading at all.  I suspect that there are some people who see it in the same light as others who criticize people for watching too much TV.

My ex husband was like that. He always said he never read anything, there was no point since any story worth hearing would eventually be turned into a movie. Obviously, there was a great deal wrong with out relationship, but this was a clue as to how poorly suited we were.

When I met my now-DH I was delighted to see that he had hundreds of books, and yes, he had read them all!
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #171 on: December 10, 2010, 04:17:23 AM »

At a different job than I have now I worked with a young woman who wants to be an English teacher; she was probably 22 or 23 and had had a couple semesters of community college but stopped taking classes since she had moved states and wanted to get in her year of living in AZ so she'd qualify for instate tuition.  She loved the Harry Potter books and told me these were the first books she had read since the 5th Grade. And she wants to be an English teacher.

My brain was in disconnect.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #172 on: December 10, 2010, 09:27:05 AM »

At a different job than I have now I worked with a young woman who wants to be an English teacher; she was probably 22 or 23 and had had a couple semesters of community college but stopped taking classes since she had moved states and wanted to get in her year of living in AZ so she'd qualify for instate tuition.  She loved the Harry Potter books and told me these were the first books she had read since the 5th Grade. And she wants to be an English teacher.

Wow. Just... wow.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #173 on: December 10, 2010, 01:48:16 PM »
She loved the Harry Potter books and told me these were the first books she had read since the 5th Grade. And she wants to be an English teacher.

Did she perhaps mean "English as a Second Language", instead of English Literature?  Because I can't imagine wanting to teach English Lit when she'd never read the books! (or read them unwillingly.)  An ESL teacher wouldn't be worried about Wuthering Heights or Silas Marner or anything else of the Turgid Victorian Prose school of writing.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #174 on: December 10, 2010, 10:22:16 PM »
That is truly astonishing.

iridaceae

« Reply #175 on: December 11, 2010, 02:23:07 AM »
She loved the Harry Potter books and told me these were the first books she had read since the 5th Grade. And she wants to be an English teacher.

Did she perhaps mean "English as a Second Language", instead of English Literature?  Because I can't imagine wanting to teach English Lit when she'd never read the books! (or read them unwillingly.)  An ESL teacher wouldn't be worried about Wuthering Heights or Silas Marner or anything else of the Turgid Victorian Prose school of writing.
No, she meant English teacher.  She talked about what grade, etc. at some length and it became very clear she meant English teacher, not English as a second language. And, to be honest, I don't think she would have a broad enough mind to willingly teach English to non-English speakers.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #176 on: December 11, 2010, 04:36:19 PM »
Well, I guess maybe if you are the type of English teacher "This is a noun" "This is a verb" you might get away with it...  How the heck did she get through high school and college without reading the assigned books?
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

iridaceae

« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2010, 02:22:20 AM »
Well, I guess maybe if you are the type of English teacher "This is a noun" "This is a verb" you might get away with it...  How the heck did she get through high school and college without reading the assigned books?

I have no idea. Nor do I have any idea why anyone who doesn't like reading and books the like would want to teach English.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2010, 07:58:05 AM »
It does not compute.

Unless she saw the opening page of a book I gave to my last assistant.  The author wrote that some people's reactions are truly remarkable.  When asked at a party what she does for a living and she states "I teach English grammar" the room falls dead silent.  It's as though people fear making a mistake in front of her.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #179 on: December 14, 2010, 05:03:35 PM »

I have no idea. Nor do I have any idea why anyone who doesn't like reading and books the like would want to teach English.

I'd love to talk to this person, in the "just how deep does this misconception go?" sort of conversation. Did you find out what exactly she thought she would be teaching people, if not books?

Or would it be, "Please read the first 5 chapters of Silas Marner, while I read the Cliff's Notes"?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."