Author Topic: Bad Neighbors: Don't Bring Too Many Books When You Move In  (Read 27524 times)

Betelnut

Re: Bad Neighbors: Don't Bring Too Many Books When You Move In
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2010, 12:07:05 PM »
One of my favorite quotes by Cicero:

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."

True that.

Edited to fix quote!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 05:08:47 PM by Betelnut »
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2010, 01:13:38 PM »
A book without books is very strange. :)

I was putting together some of my favorite book/library quotes to try to put together a little decoration for my newly renovated library.  My two favorites:

Book lovers will understand me,
and they will know too that part of the pleasure
of a library lies in its very existence.

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2010, 02:30:33 PM »
my fav book quote is by Groucho Marx

Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend
Inside of a dog it is too dark to read

oh and a bumper sticker I found once

They got the libiary at Alexandra - they are not getting mine
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Pinky830

« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2010, 02:56:12 PM »
I spent the night at a friend's house once and woke up before anyone else, as I so often do. I was telling my mother about it later, saying the worst part was that I was bored, because there were absolutely no books in the house.

Mom: "No books? Really? They don't read books?...What do people even think about, if they don't read books?"

Asharah

« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2010, 06:42:10 PM »
I spent the night at a friend's house once and woke up before anyone else, as I so often do. I was telling my mother about it later, saying the worst part was that I was bored, because there were absolutely no books in the house.

Mom: "No books? Really? They don't read books?...What do people even think about, if they don't read books?"
HISTORY CHANNEL DVDS!!!!!!!!!!!  I can watch the history of the Sahara Desert (complete with fossils of primitive whales), the story of how the Germanic barbarians (GO ANCESTORS!) kicked the you-know-whats of the Roman Legions, learn the evolution of pizza since arriving in America (somebody in Harlem allegedly invented the by-the-slice sale) and learn just what percentage of Asia was sired by Genghis Khann (apparently the stories about his appetite for women were not exagerated.)
Asharah

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2010, 06:46:28 PM »
yeah but a DVD is hard to take to the bathroom with you.  >snicker<

and watch anyway.

I've been in houses with almost no books - they feel not right to me.  I guess growing up with books in almost every room of the house - yeah bathroom too.

I hate to think about the tonage I would need to move.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

workingmum

« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2010, 08:04:35 AM »
I have tons of books, and a D cup.  What does that make me?   ;)

My twin, apparently.  :D
Mine too  ;D
"I sold my soul for freedom - it's lonely but it's sweet" -Melissa Etheridge

workingmum

« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2010, 08:06:49 AM »
I have tons of books, and a D cup.  What does that make me?   ;)

A well-rounded reader?

Badum  Dump
you know you have been on facebook too long when you go looking for the "Like" button on Ehell!
"I sold my soul for freedom - it's lonely but it's sweet" -Melissa Etheridge

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2010, 09:50:54 AM »
I feel like I've won a major triumph. DH does not enjoy reading, but told me yesterday that whenever we eventually move to a bigger house, he wants one room set aside as a library/office. LOL He jokes about guys needing a "man-cave" but he wants to give me my own retreat! He has finally started to understand that getting me a stack of used paperbacks is a perfect present, and that I enjoy reading on the level he enjoys fishing. ;D

I think I'm doing good - it only took 5 1/2 years for this to sink in, with our 3rd wedding anniversary!

Ygraine

« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2010, 11:22:27 AM »
Can I still be in the club because I patronized my library every other week? I'm sure you'll appreciate that I wanted, ya know, lights and a roof over my head...

I represent that remark (five book from the library day before yesterday - finished one late last night), a thousand or so ebooks on my computer AND CD AND eReader (wouldn't want to loose any of those files), plus I don't care to count how many books on......um, four bookcases, a stack in the sewing room, sewing books in the sewing room, another stack in the guest room, and a couple in a tote bag in case I get stuck somewhere with ten minutes to spare for reading (short story collections).

A DD or DDD cup size, depending on the band size, and raising a daughter who likes to read and a son who also likes to read - although a narrower range of subjects.

Mom likes to read, too - but I got my bosom from further back in the family tree (two of the great-grandmothers one on each side - not mother or either grandmother).  Bosoms must be recessive.........

Bolding is mine:
There is nothing "recessive" about my bosoms... ;D

And does anyone else remember the movie "Auntie Mame"?  "Books are so decorative, aren't they?"  Rosiland Russell's expression was unforgettable.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2010, 11:31:07 AM »
Can I still be in the club because I patronized my library every other week? I'm sure you'll appreciate that I wanted, ya know, lights and a roof over my head...

I represent that remark (five book from the library day before yesterday - finished one late last night), a thousand or so ebooks on my computer AND CD AND eReader (wouldn't want to loose any of those files), plus I don't care to count how many books on......um, four bookcases, a stack in the sewing room, sewing books in the sewing room, another stack in the guest room, and a couple in a tote bag in case I get stuck somewhere with ten minutes to spare for reading (short story collections).

A DD or DDD cup size, depending on the band size, and raising a daughter who likes to read and a son who also likes to read - although a narrower range of subjects.

Mom likes to read, too - but I got my bosom from further back in the family tree (two of the great-grandmothers one on each side - not mother or either grandmother).  Bosoms must be recessive.........

Bolding is mine:

And does anyone else remember the movie "Auntie Mame"?  "Books are so decorative, aren't they?"  Rosiland Russell's expression was unforgettable.

Mine aren't recessive by a long shot - but with all the relatively flat chested women on Mom's side of the family, I got my genes from Maternal Grandfather's Mother and Great-Grandmother (or is that two greats?) Altdorf on Dad's side of the family (need to see a written tree to see where she is on it).  A great many of the women are B or B- with a few A cups.  Well - not on the German side of the family - but Great Grandmother Altdorf (GGMW) is their ancestor, too.............I'd say that the bosomy are a sizeable minority of about a third (all of us are related to GGMA - but some of them are by marriage and others had a parent from a line not blessed by the Bewb Fairy).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2010, 11:40:12 AM »

Bolding is mine:

Mine aren't recessive by a long shot - but with all the relatively flat chested women on Mom's side of the family, I got my genes from Maternal Grandfather's Mother and Great-Grandmother (or is that two greats?) Altdorf on Dad's side of the family (need to see a written tree to see where she is on it).  A great many of the women are B or B- with a few A cups.  Well - not on the German side of the family - but Great Grandmother Altdorf (GGMW) is their ancestor, too.............I'd say that the bosomy are a sizeable minority of about a third (all of us are related to GGMA - but some of them are by marriage and others had a parent from a line not blessed by the Bewb Fairy).

didn't your little sister AND your mom used to accuse you of having taken their share of "bewbage"?  >:D I still wish you'd taken mine too...

I'm off to go update my list of "Books Wanted" so that DH has referances for the future. He prefers cover photos but I keep telling him that with the title and author's name, he can always get help from the desk. He's so lost in a bookstore ::)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2010, 12:05:44 PM »
... He prefers cover photos but I keep telling him that with the title and author's name, he can always get help from the desk. He's so lost in a bookstore ::)

Ha Ha.  Now that is a non-reader. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2010, 12:29:52 PM »
He might like a book on fishing!

My sister has found, as she ages and her sight changes that reading is not as easy & fun as it was in our youth.

We have come to a dim understanding that maybe, just maybe, people who find that it strains their eyes might not LIKE to read as much as we do.

She used to stitch on 22 to the inch (22 to the 2.54 cm>) fabric and could SEE the fibers in the threads of the fabric and the embroidery floss.  No longer - she is now stitching on 14 ct and thinking that the next few projects will need to be 11 count.  She is also noticing a strain at work (engineer - lot of reading - both paper and computer screen) and isn't reading as much "for fun" when she gets home.

I am refusing VorGuy's offer of eye surgery as I still have pretty good close vision and don't want to risk loosing it when the doctor tries to "adjust" my vision to be better overall - the results are not guaranteed  (I like to sew, embroider, knit, and read).  VorGuy was the next thing to legally blind without his glasses - so he risked very little and is THRILLED not to have to wear anything but sun glasses any more!  He has three pairs (unless he's lost another pair - we've bought five pairs since the surgery).

Sometimes you can convert a non-reader to a reader if you offer a really, really good book on the right subject.

My favorite subjects are myriad - but I'm a known addict.  VorGuy "discovered" science fiction with DUNE - but hates The Cold Equations (spoiler - he insists that there had to have been a way for the stowaway to stay on board and live). 

All wonderful SonInLaw might need is the right book - his alma mater, fishing, or possibly football might do it - but AFTER he finishes his degree.  Nobody wants to distract a student from his school books...............
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2010, 04:06:52 PM »
I just got a package from Barnes and Noble online....wonder what the neighbors think?
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....