Author Topic: The Etiquette of giving real wool  (Read 4906 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: The Etiquette of giving real wool
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2010, 09:23:49 PM »
VorGuy and my father haven't always read the labels - VorGuy does more often since he got corrective eye surgery in 2008 (too much of a strain to read the small print before the surgery).  I don't know what my father was thinking (or not thinking, as the case may be) when he washed a sequin trimmed dry clean only dress in hot water and added white cotton underwear to the hot soapy water with bleach that was supposed to be cleaning the washing machine after I dyed something purple.............

But I have learned that there are some garments (almost all lingerie and a few other items) that I need to make very clear that either I handle the cleaning or it stays where I put it to "air out" until I do handle the cleaning.  Or the person who ruins it is going to get to pay for a replacement............

I've been lucky the last few years - or just scared VorGuy and VorSon out of touching any clothes that aren't their own!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 07:16:10 PM »
I have lots of hand knit wool items.  I have lots of commercial wool items.  I have lots of silk and other stuff too that says "hand wash" or "dry clean only"...

I put them in the washer in cold water, gentle cycle and lay flat or hang to dry.  Nothing has ever shrunk or been otherwise damaged.  I see no reason why I need to actually hand wash something when there is a "gentle" cycle on a machine.

That being said, give wool.

One Goat to Rule Them All

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 07:18:12 PM »
Thanks for all the responses! I've gone ahead and ordered all the wool I'll need from knitpicks, and much of it is superwash (but still nice and soft). I think I'll come up with some sort of label with the fibre type, washing instructions, and name of the hat/colourway.