Author Topic: Birthday Wishes on FB and responding  (Read 79356 times)

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
Birthday Wishes on FB and responding
« on: July 31, 2010, 12:41:26 PM »
So it was my birthday yesterday and I received a massive amounts of "happy birthday posts". Now normally I reply individually to each post I get, but in this case I think this might actually be rude to others. As in no one wants to have their thread filled with a 100 thank yous from me. And sending a 100 personal notes would just be a way I don't want to spend my morning.

So ladies of e-hell making up these rules, can we say a general thank you post on my page suffices?

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
Re: Birthday Wishes on FB and responding
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 12:49:17 PM »
I've seen it done both ways, and I'm not bothered by either.  :)

Also, happy birthday ;D

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 12:50:05 PM »
Yes. I had that happen, and I just did two status updates with Thank Yous. I do not have time to thank each person individually. Some people do that, and that's great, but I don't think it's rude not to, as long as you acknowledge it in some way.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 01:27:36 PM »
I think you're fine with another status update of "thanks for all the great birthday wishes yesterday!" 

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 01:33:02 PM »
Last year I responded to each note individually, but I didn't have as many connections as I do now.

I think that the important thing is that you thank people.  If you prefer, you could send a separate message to each person who E-mails you through Facebook, but post in your status update a general thank-you.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Traveler

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 01:58:24 PM »
I've been in the same place!  First I spent way too much time going to every individual page and thanking every person. Seriously, hours. Thankfully, other friends have been far more clever than I have.

The one status update note is nice, but people may or may not see it. I've had friends do both of the following that have worked for me -
- gone to every birthday post on their wall and "liked" it. That way I knew they saw it, and they responded casually. Quite fine for the casual-ness of FB.
- gone to every birthday post on their wall and commented with a "thanks" or response to the specifics of the note.

I've also seen combos of those. I think the "like" works well for the people that just wrote "Happy Birthday", and sometimes longer notes are better served with a response in the comment line.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 02:09:22 PM »
DH's bday was on Tuesday, and rather than reply to every "Happy birthday!" he posted "Thanks for all the birthday wishes!" as his status. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 02:35:29 PM »
Good question!  I never quite know what to do with things like that.  I think I just put a thank you in my status update this year.

Florida

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 04:05:01 PM »
I think that's a good way to handle it.  I've done some individual thank yous, but I usually post directly on their pages instead of replying on mine so that if I miss someone, they won't see all the responses on my page.  Now I usually just do a status update.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 02:35:09 PM »
I thanked individually, and DH thanked in bulk (if you will).  I think next BD, I'll do it his way.  I see it done more and more "in bulk," and I'm fine with that.

Happy birthday!  

eta:  I like the "like" idea.  I think I'll do that next time.  Assuming, of course, that I get BD wishes!   ;)

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 02:47:07 PM »
I might say something about being overwhelmed by all the wishes,a nd how much you appreciate it, but I think a status update is ok. 
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

libraryliz

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 07:57:10 PM »
Got overwhelmed this year and just replied in bulk.
"I have never been especially impressed by the heroics of people convinced that they are about to change the world. I am more awed by those who struggle to make one small difference after another." -Ellen Goodman

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 08:02:42 PM »
Can I be jealous?  Last year I didn't get a single birthday wish on my birthday.  Plenty the day before and after, but none the day of.  It was so bizarre.  Even my parents didn't talk to me that day!  I'd love to have the problem of too many birthday wishes to respond to. ;)

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 01:54:28 PM »
Well that's what I did for my birthday in February. I just posted one general thank you along the lines of Thank you to everyone who wished me a happy birthday it was great, or something like that. If there were any people who were offended I didn't thank them individually, oh well.

Ed.

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 04:41:01 PM »
I commented on each one, that way it doesn't fill up people's feed, but everyone gets thanked.