Author Topic: Do you tell your friends that you love them?  (Read 2582 times)

otterwoman

Re: Do you tell your friends that you love them?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 04:46:43 PM »
Yes! As often as I can. Same with family. In fact, I end every phone conversation with "I love you". Diety only knows if that is the last time I ever talk to that person. If it is, then I want those to be the last words that person ever heard me say.

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 05:35:15 PM »
I don't, but I'm not a very visibly affectionate person with anyone other than close family.  I'm not even really comfortable with greeting hugs, so "I love you" is pretty much out of the question.  Maybe I've come out with a "Love ya" before but thats about it.  Or a joking "Love you too!" when one of my friends kills me on xbox live. 

I don't think I've had any friends say it to me since maybe high school or college either. 
"Its so fluffy I could DIE"

Arianoor

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 06:03:23 PM »
It's not really something that I do.  But, I do love my close friends and if one of them says it first, I reply in kind with complete honesty.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 06:32:06 PM »
Not a day goes by when I don't say it to my kids* . . . they do the same to me.

Family members, on the phone, we usually close with "I love you's." Get togethers, there are always hugs and love you's. Both with hello and goodbye.

Close friends? Not so much. If we've had a particularly warm heart-to-heart conversation or someone is going through a tough time or someone does something special for me or even when someone has a great day! Yes, I'll say it freely and really mean it. But it's not habit.

CWs? They have a habit of saying "Love You!" then, in answer "Love You More!" when questions are answered or little favors are done. I have a difficult time with this because it almost seems to belittle the phrase.

Do I love the CWs? Yes, I suppose I do. They are the best CWs in the world. Heck, I've known them all for 15+ years. How can I not love them?

*Sometimes I wonder when I say it to my kids that it is a habit and does it sound trite? Maybe it shouldn't be said so often?

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 06:34:50 PM »

jpcher, I wonder that about Gish sometimes.

“Have I told you I love you?”
“Um, yes, honey … all of 3 minutes ago.”

Sometimes I think it is conversation filler for him; but how can I complain?

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 06:34:17 AM »

No, I don't even tell my DH. He already knows.
I'm not one of those people who can say it. If he says it to me, sometimes I rub my head on him like a cat  :D and he nods knowingly.
Stewart/Colbert '16

Tigger

• Always having fun
  • Life is hard. After all, it kills you - K Hepburn
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 06:42:39 AM »
After losing my Dad when I was 9 years old in a tragic accident I make sure I tell the people I love that I love them!!

My Dad knew but I never had the chance to tell him and I wish I had one more day to tell him all the things I couldn't.

Ontario

magician5

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 07:14:56 AM »
Only if it's true, that they are much more than just an acquaintance. You don't wanna throw it around casually.

I wish I had told one person in my life, though I think he knew it. I got a call that he had suddenly died and it was too darned late. I don't expect to be lucky enough to have that kind of friend a second time in life.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 08:50:44 AM »
With my very close friends, absolutely.   My two best girlfriends are like family.  One's like a sister, the other a mom/big sister so I love them a great deal and let them know!   

I'm one who wears her heart on her sleeve so it's not hard for me to say it.  :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

LeeLee88

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 10:48:11 AM »
I say it to a couple of friends who are my very close friends.  I'm afraid of being one of those people who throws it around too much, and people end up thinking she/he is disingenuine when she/he says it.  I got a bit wary of saying it too much in college, when I would see these girls tell each other they loved each other allllll the time, and as soon as they got a chance, they'd be at each others' throats.  It sort of put a damper on my love parade.   What I usually do is tell people how wonderful they are, and tell them specific things I love about them, and how much they mean to me. 

Ereine

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 04:10:10 AM »
I think that I'm lacking in affection. I don't really have any very close friends and I don't think that I've ever told anyone that I loved them, even though I guess I do (I'm sometimes worry that I don't love enough, I'm too self-contained). Not even my parents or sister or boyfriend. On the other hand nobody has told me that they love me, though I suspect that at least my mother does. My family wasn't at all affectionate when I grew up, my parents disliked each other and never talked to each other and so never told that they loved each other. I felt loved but it was shown by being accepted as I was and being encouraged in my hobbies and not with hugs or words. So I guess it just doesn't feel natural to me.

Also, in Finnish "I love you" is a very awkward phrase, it's long and it doesn't fit well in spoken Finnish (which is rather different from the written language) so I think that generally people say it less here, it's not really in the culture.

Tashigi

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 02:18:17 PM »
There are a handful of friends I say this to and mean it. I hate to confess that I have in fact tossed it around a little lightly with some friends. Like a previous poster, I try to be demonstrative and I try to be specific about what I love about them.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 02:21:34 PM »
Yup.

I tell my BFF I love her every time we get off the phone, I tell another friend I love her, sometimes I txt her JUST to tell her.

People should know how loved they are.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 05:40:17 PM »
I tell my friends and family... If I feel love for you (in whatever way shape or form) I will let you know that you are loved.  I just have a lot of love for people though.. it is really hard to explain, but I just do.

I only have one friend that I won't say it to, but it is mainly because I don't want to make him uncomfortable.  He knows I care for him, but the word "love" freaks him out.  I just gnaw on his arm instead.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 10:25:57 PM »
When I have IM conversations with my best friend we always sign off with 'love love!', which is sending love to each other.

I end virtually every phone conversation with my friends and family with 'love you!' and 99% of the time I get a 'love you, too!' back.

Within my circle it's less 'I love you!' than 'Love!' as the end of an interaction- at the end of a text conversation we say 'love' instead of 'bye', and even in conversations, when we're saying goodbye it gets replaced with 'love', which I think is a fantastically positive thing to say!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,