Author Topic: Do you tell your friends that you love them?  (Read 2603 times)

whatsanenigma

Re: Do you tell your friends that you love them?
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 10:50:18 PM »
I was thinking about how to answer the question in the OP and I realized something interesting.

The only one I ever say "I love you" and "I love you too" to is my Mom. I talk with her every night on the phone and we end every conversation this way.

With everybody else, friends of both genders, and family, I say I love them, either to their faces or not, but it's kind of half-joking that isn't really joking. And it's in the sense of prefacing something I don't agree with that they are doing (not big moral issues or anything, just little stuff).

As in, "I love you guys but why on earth were you wearing your winter coats in the yard, it's July for goodness sake"
or, "You guys know I love you but if you seriously think I am eating that with you, you have had too much Mountain Dew". Or even "I love her to pieces, I really do, but when she came to pick me up from work wearing just her pajamas I thought I would fall over."

So, that counts in a way, I guess. Because I really do mean it. But as a PP said, life is too short. Maybe I should make more of an effort.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2010, 05:59:59 PM »
I tell my friends and family... If I feel love for you (in whatever way shape or form) I will let you know that you are loved.  I just have a lot of love for people though.. it is really hard to explain, but I just do.

I only have one friend that I won't say it to, but it is mainly because I don't want to make him uncomfortable.  He knows I care for him, but the word "love" freaks him out.  I just gnaw on his arm instead.

Funny... that's how my cat tells me he love me. ;)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Allyson

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2010, 06:24:18 PM »
Nope.  I can write it:  Love, Lori.  I can say things like, "See, that's why I love you so much - you always say what I'm thinking."  But I have always had a heckuva time saying "I love you" straight out.  My parents never used those terms, although there was no doubt in our minds that we were loved and cherished.  I never needed to hear those terms from them, and I grew up without hearing or saying it.

This is me! Though if I wrote 'Love, Lori' people would be confused. I have a really hard time saying the words, for some reason. I can casually joke with my friends and say 'You're coming to pick me up from work? Love!' but it's not a serious 'I love you'.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2010, 06:38:18 PM »
I don't say it very often, but I show it.  However, I think part of why this is is due to having a straight male bff who forever has had a gf over the course of 17 years as friends.  He gets hugs from me, not many guys do. 

finecabernet

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2010, 09:35:46 PM »
Most definitely yes. Having lost both parents in tragic, unexpected ways, I know how important it is!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2010, 04:45:25 PM »
The whole time my friend was here, I only really said "I love you" in those words once, when I was saying goodbye to her at the airport this morning.   But with us it's more in shows of affection like hugs, shoulder pats, arms around each other, terms of affection, and teasing. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata