Author Topic: Is it a mean nickname?  (Read 8848 times)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Re: Is it a mean nickname?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 03:02:50 PM »
First off--yelly park lady was rude, no question.

That being said--

Except as a nickname for Priscilla, I would assume anyone being called prissy was (seen by the name-callers as) fussy about their clothes and about not getting dirty, was wimpy, etc., and that most people barely tolerate this in a girl, but judge it as a moral failing in a boy ("what kind of boy doesn't want to get dirty?  It's not natural!") etc. and from there many make the leap to connect those traits to being g*a*y, effeminate, etc. and from THERE make the leap that those are further moral failings.

Let me hasten to add that I do not, but that it is common enough that I would hesitate to use such a nickname in public lest people make the same assumptions yelly park lady did.

Hmm. I wonder if six is old enough to understand that we call him one thing at home and another in public.

He understands that his brother's friends call him by his name, and calls his brother by his name in public, would that indicate he's old enough?

Oh, and he has no provblem with getting dirty. But when he's done he wants help to take a bath, comb his hair and put on clean clothes. On the brightside, I never have trouble getting him dressed nicely for picture taking.  >:D

And while i can try to convince his father to use Frog, i kinda was joking. Though its a cute name. Hmm.

jibby

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 03:02:56 PM »
The woman was rude.  It was not her place to decide what you call the child with you, assuming you're not being abusive (and from the way the child responded, it's clear he didn't feel uncomfortable).

The nickname does rub me the wrong way, personally.  I think it is only bc DH's father is a backwards, homophobic ogre who thinks any male who cares for his appearance is g*a*y, that of course being the world's worst offense.   ::)

Of course, DH, my parents and I all have nicknames for Lil Jib that will cease the moment he reaches "repeat everything I hear"' stage (Jabba, for his big ol' baby belly, comes to mind).   ;)

And your story about "Uncle Bitty" cracked me up!

magician5

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 03:08:25 PM »
I would suggest keeping "prissy boy" as a family-only, in-private-only nickname (perhaps you could even phase out its use altogether). So many nicknames aren't nearly fit for public use, for this and similar reasons. Their origins are lost to time, but I'd hate to see what strangers would think if they heard some of the nicknames used in my family.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Amava

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 03:12:55 PM »
To be honest, frog and toad aren't exactly flattering nicknames either.

Me, I'd just call children by their real name.

But it would never occur to me to butt into someone else's business like that woman did.  :o She was completely out of line.

Shiraz_Much?

• formerly celtic1973
  • Good wine is a necessity of life for me -Jefferson
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 03:13:30 PM »
I have to agree with the rest of the posters.  I like Frog...it's kinda cute....and not offensive in any way.

New York
My soul is adrift in oceans of madness - Disturbed

Wine is sunlight, held together by water! - Galileo Gallilei

Kimblee

• Super Hero!
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 03:16:11 PM »
To be honest, frog and toad aren't exactly flattering nicknames either.

Me, I'd just call children by their real name.

But it would never occur to me to butt into someone else's business like that woman did.  :o She was completely out of line.

We don;t do "given names" very often. We have six Carls, five Roberts, several variations on Kay...

Well, you get the point.

And Toad is from Princess Toadstool. Who the baby apprently resembles, at least in her brothers' minds.

Uncle Bitty IS the ultimate in awesome, if I can say so in my oh so unbiased opinion. (Gotta appreciate a guy who thinks being a human climbing tree is not only acceptable, but a fun activity for one and all.)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 04:56:04 PM »
I can't think of a positive connotation to the word "prissy" whether it's used for a boy or a girl.  I wouldn't want it as a nickname.

I never realized how many people disliked the word. I've alwasy assumed the word itself comes from "pretty" I mean, it kinda sounds like pretty, and the way its used in oru area is for a person who is trying to be pretty.

Maybe we should just call him Frog. His sister is Toad after all.

@kherbert- We definatly don't bully him.  ;D M is our family baby, he's so super sweet and pleasant that I can't remember the last time he even got scolded for something. (His brother on the other hand.... I love his brother but they two couldn't be more diffrent. Only thing they have in common is both are mostly polite and good natured.) The name is always used in a loving tone.

@Kimblee sorry I wasn't clear. I meant if I just heard someone calling a child that, without hear the back story first - then I would worry. It is obvious from your posts he is a cherished and loved child.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Kimblee

• Super Hero!
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 05:03:06 PM »
I can't think of a positive connotation to the word "prissy" whether it's used for a boy or a girl.  I wouldn't want it as a nickname.

I never realized how many people disliked the word. I've alwasy assumed the word itself comes from "pretty" I mean, it kinda sounds like pretty, and the way its used in oru area is for a person who is trying to be pretty.

Maybe we should just call him Frog. His sister is Toad after all.

@kherbert- We definatly don't bully him.  ;D M is our family baby, he's so super sweet and pleasant that I can't remember the last time he even got scolded for something. (His brother on the other hand.... I love his brother but they two couldn't be more diffrent. Only thing they have in common is both are mostly polite and good natured.) The name is always used in a loving tone.

@Kimblee sorry I wasn't clear. I meant if I just heard someone calling a child that, without hear the back story first - then I would worry. It is obvious from your posts he is a cherished and loved child.

Oh I know.

You're a nice person. You'd be concerned for a kiddo being called what apprently is a more mean name than we realized.

I was just giving extra assurance that M is not and will not ever be bullied in the family. WSe may hate each other sometimes, be we LOVE our kiddos. (I especially love the one that called me this morning to tell me he loves me and wishes I would come feed him cake. Its not M, but it was a hilarious way to wake up this morning.)

wheeitsme

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 05:04:20 PM »

That being said--

Except as a nickname for Priscilla, I would assume anyone being called prissy was (seen by the name-callers as) fussy about their clothes and about not getting dirty, was wimpy, etc., and that most people barely tolerate this in a girl, but judge it as a moral failing in a boy ("what kind of boy doesn't want to get dirty?  It's not natural!") etc. and from there many make the leap to connect those traits to being g*a*y, effeminate, etc. and from THERE make the leap that those are further moral failings.

Let me hasten to add that I do not, but that it is common enough that I would hesitate to use such a nickname in public lest people make the same assumptions yelly park lady did.

Hmm. I wonder if six is old enough to understand that we call him one thing at home and another in public.

He understands that his brother's friends call him by his name, and calls his brother by his name in public, would that indicate he's old enough?

Oh, and he has no provblem with getting dirty. But when he's done he wants help to take a bath, comb his hair and put on clean clothes. On the brightside, I never have trouble getting him dressed nicely for picture taking.  >:D

And while i can try to convince his father to use Frog, i kinda was joking. Though its a cute name. Hmm.

You could always call him "Frog Prince"...I heard he was a "kissy" fellow... ;)

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 05:07:54 PM »
Prissy boy sounds like a real insult.  IT could sound as if you were saying you look like a *derogatory for gay person* go get a hair cut , man up! you *other P word that ends with ssy*

Starchasm

• And the mome raths outgrabe.
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 05:08:14 PM »

That being said--

You could always call him "Frog Prince"...I heard he was a "kissy" fellow... ;)

What about "Princey" Boy?  It sounds similar, but has a slightly less negative connotation! (And I still don't think "prissy" has anything to do with being gay).  

It goes without saying that the woman was INCREDIBLY rude.

mj

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 05:24:52 PM »
I had a nickname (kinda similar to prissy boy but tailored for a girl) that was a play off my real name and actually, there's a poster here who uses that as their username!  It wasn't until I was in my late 20's and someone pointing it out to me -- that I realized that it also meant something else relating to the male anatomy  :o  Whatever though, it was always meant as a term of endearment and that's how I've always took it.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 05:33:56 PM »
Well, the woman in the park was definitely rude, but I have to admit that the word "prissy" conjures images, none of which are positive, in my mind that I think would appear in the minds of anyone who heard that nickname if it's not meant to be short for Priscilla.

For a very small kid that's one thing, but as he or she gets older, a nickname of "prissy" could make him or her a target for bullying.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

magiccat26

• Goddess in training!
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 05:40:32 PM »
I often refer to Kitten as "Brat" or "Bratalicious"**.  It is ALWAYS said with affection/love and she knows it.  While I get some strange looks when we're out in public for using the term...honestly, I really don't care what others think.  Kitten knows we love her, she has no insecurities about our terms of affection for her.  I think the women from your OP was very rude and needed to mind her own business.

**When I was a kid, my Mom referred to my brother and I as the "Brats of her heart".  I always knew it was said with love and have no negative feelings about the term.**

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.” — Catherine Aird

JoanOfArc

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 05:42:21 PM »
The woman was rude.  That said, I can sort of see her reaction.  Prissy, in my experience, is not a positive descriptor.  If I heard a kid being called prissy boy, I would think the person calling the kid that was being mean.  And I concur with the other posters- in 3-4 years, when he enters school, that nickname could be a real liability.  And they have a way of getting out- all it takes is a slip of the tongue around the wrong person and he won't lose the nickname until he finishes high school or moves away.  Prissy just doesn't seem like a positive thing to call anyone, boy, girl, man, woman.  I know your family is not being mean, but I strongly advise you to change his nickname in public, if not in private.  

And I think Frog or Frog Prince are both OK.  I like frogs, as do many people.  My Dad calls me Katydid sometimes, though he is the only one. Insects, amphibians and reptiles are not bad- I doubt anyone would object to the kid being nicknamed Kat or Kitty, so why the prejudice against amphibians?  

Sorry, I've been working nature camp and trying to teach kids about the joys of snakes and toads this week!  
Chicken-keeper, welder, artist, student and lover of all things literary.