Author Topic: Is it a mean nickname?  (Read 10152 times)

Balletmom

• Super Hero!
Re: Is it a mean nickname?
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2010, 09:39:24 PM »
The woman in the park was rude, but I can understand why.  She probably thought your son was a Niles in the making.

Please reconsider this nickname.  Don't put this off because the last thing your son needs is a nickname that others will use as a weapon against him (regardless of how you arrived at it).  "Life ain't easy for A Boy Named Sue."

POD!

"Prissy" is a negative adjective; it doesn't make the family unloving for using it, but it's right up there with "Motormouth" and other nicknames that take a child's behavior or trait and turn it into a teasing name.

The woman was rude, but like the other posters, I do understand where she was coming from.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2010, 09:44:31 PM »
And I am still unsure how it has anything to do with homophobia, but since it appears a lot of other posters associate it with that, I'm gonna mention it to my cousin.

I agree with the PPs. I don't think this is a kind nickname.

The homophobia comes in because "prissy" if often associated with being really feminine, kind of like "sissy." And there is still that stereotype that g*a*y men are effeminate and "sissy boys."

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2010, 09:48:52 PM »
And I am still unsure how it has anything to do with homophobia, but since it appears a lot of other posters associate it with that, I'm gonna mention it to my cousin.

I agree with the PPs. I don't think this is a kind nickname.

The homophobia comes in because "prissy" if often associated with being really feminine, kind of like "sissy." And there is still that stereotype that g*a*y men are effeminate and "sissy boys."

Makes sense. I think our area has some weird word combos anyway. A lot of phrases we use mean something totally diffrent everwhere else.

Talked to Cousin J, and he says he's been mulling over the nickname too, and worries it might end up being embarassing like his sister's turned out to be. M can't go by his own name (because there are four older guys with the name in the family) but J says he thinks Frog is kinda cute, but only if they can convince the eldest boy to be Newt.

I'll tell you guys what his new nickname ends up being.

(For the record, M's real name doesn't actually begin with an "m"... M stands for "My baby, MineMineMine!")
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

ladiedeathe

• Pushing the bounds of ministry, one gasp at a time.
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2010, 11:07:42 PM »
In my experience and in my neck of the woods calling a little boy prissy is essentially saying "I think he's g@y, and that's not a good thing."  There is no positive conotation that can be given to the word when used for a boy, and here, at least, it would be a vicious and cruel thing to call a child.

I also guarantee that when he reaches school the names he will be called, anywhere in the US, will be almost unprintable.

ETA: My DH just came in and I asked him if he thought this was a mean name- he just said "Wow, the kids are gonna call him Pi$$y Boy or P*$$y Boy; that's sick."
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 11:10:23 PM by ladiedeathe »
"Here to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Have chalice, will travel."

Balletmom

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2010, 11:23:31 PM »
Kimblee, it's very encouraging that your family is beginning to think twice about the nicknames. That is is a good sign that the tradition can continue but in a better way.

The family nicknames, if not negative, can continue as a tradition that reinforces family bonds.

As a side note, Mr. Balletmom's cousin was nicknamed Little Joe as his father had the same name. Fifty years later, and he's still.. Little Joe.

(Extra points to anyone who ever watched the tv series that actually had LIttle Joe as a character.)

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2010, 11:23:46 PM »
To me, a prissy person is someone who is rather cissy, fussy and stuck up. So I do see the nickname as having negative connotations. If I heard someone call a boy that name, I'd assume they were teasing him (even if they meant no real nastiness by it).

I realise that your family is doing this in a loving, private way, but as a PP said, all it takes is one slip of the tongue to make the nickname public. I remember as a kid reminding my mum over and over not to call me [Silly Family Nickname] in front of my friends. Unfortunately, she'd inevitably forget, and I'd cop some teasing from the other kids! So it can happen easily.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2010, 11:29:46 PM »
My husband says that calling a boy "prissy" is emasculating. 

kudeebee

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2010, 11:56:47 PM »
Gald you are rethinking "prissy".  Be careful with nicknames--family may think they are cute, but all it takes is one other little kid to get hold of the nickname and the nicknamed child can be in for years of teasing.  Kids can be very cruel and come up with all kinds of variations!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:07:40 AM by kudeebee »

Oscar1

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2010, 03:10:26 AM »
OP, as a total outsider looking in, it does seem that your family has a habit of giving nicknames based on something that could possibly be construed as negative. You've mentioned someone being called Snowflake because they were pale and also someone called Big Boy, presumably because of his size or something? And why is Chicken Girl called that?

I'm sure your family doesn't mean anything by it but maybe it would be better to find nicknames that only have an entirely positive basis.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2010, 04:16:35 AM »
Kimblee, it's very encouraging that your family is beginning to think twice about the nicknames. That is is a good sign that the tradition can continue but in a better way.

The family nicknames, if not negative, can continue as a tradition that reinforces family bonds.

As a side note, Mr. Balletmom's cousin was nicknamed Little Joe as his father had the same name. Fifty years later, and he's still.. Little Joe.

(Extra points to anyone who ever watched the tv series that actually had LIttle Joe as a character.)

Bonanza. I never watched it, but can I have the point anyway? ;D

OP, as a total outsider looking in, it does seem that your family has a habit of giving nicknames based on something that could possibly be construed as negative. You've mentioned someone being called Snowflake because they were pale and also someone called Big Boy, presumably because of his size or something? And why is Chicken Girl called that?

I'm sure your family doesn't mean anything by it but maybe it would be better to find nicknames that only have an entirely positive basis.

While I'd pass on Prissy boy, I don't think all those names are a problem. My name is one letter off from a disease, and my middle brother still calls me that sometimes. It was mildly annoying as a kid (and that's why he did it, of course ;D ) but it isn't mean - just a family thing. I wouldn't change a family nickname unless the child seriously objects to it.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2010, 04:51:54 AM »

My brother when he was younger was skinny and had curly hair which caused some people to call him "Shirley".  :o
He hated it. Now he is older and bigger and he shaves his head!  ;D
Prissy boy is a horrible nickname and that woman was rude. Especially without knowing all the facts.
Stewart/Colbert '16

Kimblee

• Super Hero!
    • My Blog
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2010, 12:03:05 PM »

Snowflake, yeah because he was pale. When my mom met him for the first time, she commented on what a pretty baby he was "He's a little snowflake!"

Big Boy: He has his father's name, so he couldn't go by that. So at first he was "Junior" but his mom hated that. As a toddler he would do something, and when he was praised he would answer "Aren't I a BIG BOY!?"

Chicken Girl: At age 2 was found sleeping in the chicken yard with all her brother's 4H hens swarming her. She now has six (or seven, I forget) ribbons from raising her own chickens.

I was Cheeto because my cousin made that ut of my given name.

The cousin with the unfortunate nickname got hers in a really mean way. Her dad is a [deleted word] and started calling her "[unfortunate name] Brown" because she was a really gawky little girl who sometimes saggered around like she was drunk. That's one nickname the family shut down the minute she expressed a dislike of it.
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Peggy Gus

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2010, 12:16:29 PM »
I would suggest keeping "prissy boy" as a family-only, in-private-only nickname (perhaps you could even phase out its use altogether). So many nicknames aren't nearly fit for public use, for this and similar reasons. Their origins are lost to time, but I'd hate to see what strangers would think if they heard some of the nicknames used in my family.

We have a friend who is the only girl out of 15 boys, brothers and cousins included. They called her Cooter, (to those who have never heard it used that way, cooter can be used as a euphanism for the female anatomy) she is now 34 yrs old and half the town calls her that. I'd say 90% of the time family nicknames get out, all it takes is for one outsider to hear it and it's out there.

Kimblee

• Super Hero!
    • My Blog
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2010, 12:24:02 PM »
I would suggest keeping "prissy boy" as a family-only, in-private-only nickname (perhaps you could even phase out its use altogether). So many nicknames aren't nearly fit for public use, for this and similar reasons. Their origins are lost to time, but I'd hate to see what strangers would think if they heard some of the nicknames used in my family.

We have a friend who is the only girl out of 15 boys, brothers and cousins included. They called her Cooter, (to those who have never heard it used that way, cooter can be used as a euphanism for the female anatomy) she is now 34 yrs old and half the town calls her that. I'd say 90% of the time family nicknames get out, all it takes is for one outsider to hear it and it's out there.

THATS my other cousin's unfortunate nickname.\

And as a little girl, she liked it. Beause he daddy gave it to her. After she realized what a jerk her dad is, she dropped it and the family obediantly followed suit.

dragonflies

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2010, 01:29:05 PM »
Prissy isn't a good word for a girl and its an even worse name for a boy. DD's name is on the top 10 list for a while now but she has middle name that could made into a nickname.  I am guessing the child can't go by his middle name?
My nephew is a second.  My brother and my nephew both go by the same name.