Author Topic: Is it a mean nickname?  (Read 8800 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Is it a mean nickname?
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2010, 01:31:44 PM »
My father used to refer (privately, of course) to a business colleague he didn't like much as "the prissy (insert alliterative descriptive word here)". It was in no way an implication as to his sexuality, but that he was fussy, and rather snobbish about things. So, I wouldn't consider prissy means gay, but it does have some negative connotations.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2010, 11:06:52 PM »

My brother when he was younger was skinny and had curly hair which caused some people to call him "Shirley".  :o
He hated it. Now he is older and bigger and he shaves his head!  ;D
Prissy boy is a horrible nickname and that woman was rude. Especially without knowing all the facts.

I have actually heard of males being called "Shirley". Shirley Straughn, the late lead singer of "The Skyhooks" comes to mind... and he was a pretty cool guy!

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2010, 11:09:39 PM »

My brother when he was younger was skinny and had curly hair which caused some people to call him "Shirley".  :o
Prissy boy is a horrible nickname and that woman was rude. Especially without knowing all the facts.

I have actually heard of males being called "Shirley". Shirley Straughn, the late lead singer of "The Skyhooks" comes to mind... and he was a pretty cool guy!

Wasn't there a sportswriter called Shirley Povich?
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2010, 11:56:20 PM »
When we were very little, both my brother and I came up with made up nicknames that we wanted our family to use. Mine was "DeeBeeDee." My brother's was "Scotty Watty Potty Do Do." No amount of dicussion could get him to change his mind. Since I got my choice of nicknames, my brother got his.

Maybe it's because my brother and I had more than one nickname, but I don't see why Prissy would stick forever. My brother's nickname certainly did not.

I don't recall any incidents of teasing. However, I am pretty sure my mother would have handled the bully directly.

My brother has not needed counseling. So, no, a child having a controversial nickname will not require "counseling for the rest of his life."

My nickname from my line sisters when I was pledging was Miss Priss. We keep in touch to this day; there is lots of affection. I can say that the nickname was never intended as an insult or intended to be homophobic.

The woman was out of line.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2010, 04:27:21 AM »

Actually, Shirley used to be primarily a male name, but over the past century has shifted over to primarily female.  There have been a batch of names like this - Leigh, Ashley (think Gone with the Wind), Tracy and so on.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2010, 06:04:30 AM »

I'm very aware of Shirl and The Skyhooks, my husband has ALL their albums!  :D
Stewart/Colbert '16

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2010, 08:05:05 AM »
Rumack: Can you fly this plane, and land it?
Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.
Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.
--Airplane

LOL! Sorry, I couldn't resist!
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2010, 08:17:15 AM »
Rumack: Can you fly this plane, and land it?
Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.
Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.
--Airplane

LOL! Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Couldn't help yourself, could ya?!  :D
Stewart/Colbert '16

Kaire

« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2010, 11:34:03 AM »
The woman was rude, no doubt, but I know if I heard it I'd be thinking "why are you calling him g-a-y boy?" because in my circle prissy is often used as a not so nice way to say someone is homosexual.

That being said my nickname with a few friends is Super Gimp, because I was handicapped in a car crash, but I've never let it hold me back.  I wear a 2 1/2 inch lift on my shoe but can leg press 310 lbs.  If someone heard me being called any kind of gimp they might feel a need to defend me, but to me gimp isn't a bad way of discribing my condition, especially when being said with affection!

(I'm also sometimes Gimpy Girl or Magic Legs, depending who I'm with.  My cohort is Curb Jumper, which is a friend who fell off a curb and injured herself.  :D)

Bethczar

« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2010, 12:07:22 PM »
My father used to refer (privately, of course) to a business colleague he didn't like much as "the prissy (insert alliterative descriptive word here)". It was in no way an implication as to his sexuality, but that he was fussy, and rather snobbish about things. So, I wouldn't consider prissy means g*a*y, but it does have some negative connotations.
Yes, that's more how I think of Prissy as well - as fussy or prudish. I've never heard of it as meaning g*a*y, but it's not a word I hear much anyway.

At any rate, it's not something I would use as a nickname.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2010, 12:23:32 PM »

Yes, worked at the NYT for years.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2010, 12:42:14 PM »
My cousin's son was dubbed "Fuzzy" as a baby, mostly because he looked so much like his grandfather, and that was his baby nickname.

Fuzz is now 21 years old, and has always insisted that everyone call him Fuzz or Fuzzy.  I wouldn't be surprised if he changed it legally.

I cannot imagine why someone would just love the nickname Fuzzy, but who am I to say.

Prissy by itself sounds to me like an odd nickname, but I have to admit that Prissy Boy sounds like an insult.  But then what do I know?  I don't like Fuzzy.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Peggy Gus

« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2010, 12:54:44 PM »
My cousin's son was dubbed "Fuzzy" as a baby, mostly because he looked so much like his grandfather, and that was his baby nickname.

Fuzz is now 21 years old, and has always insisted that everyone call him Fuzz or Fuzzy.  I wouldn't be surprised if he changed it legally.

I cannot imagine why someone would just love the nickname Fuzzy, but who am I to say.

Prissy by itself sounds to me like an odd nickname, but I have to admit that Prissy Boy sounds like an insult.  But then what do I know?  I don't like Fuzzy.

Wasn't Prissy the chicken who was always hot for Foghorn Leghorn?

edited because I was thinking one thing and typing another.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2010, 12:56:48 PM »

Fuzz is now 21 years old, and has always insisted that everyone call him Fuzz or Fuzzy.  I wouldn't be surprised if he changed it legally.

Prissy by itself sounds to me like an odd nickname, but I have to admit that Prissy Boy sounds like an insult.  But then what do I know?  I don't like Fuzzy.

Wasn't Prissy the chicken who was always hot for Longhorn Leghorn?

I'm pretty sure Prissy was the name of the character that Butterfly McQueen played in Gone With the Wind.  And thinking about it, I would rather be called Butterfly than Prissy.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Peggy Gus

« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2010, 01:06:32 PM »

Wasn't Prissy the chicken who was always hot for Longhorn Leghorn?

I'm pretty sure Prissy was the name of the character that Butterfly McQueen played in Gone With the Wind.  And thinking about it, I would rather be called Butterfly than Prissy.

I typed Longhorn, but I meant Foghorn Leghorn.