Author Topic: Sort of used it with a salesperson - and now need advice for future  (Read 7475 times)

boxy

Re: Sort of used it with a salesperson - and now need advice for future
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 10:24:10 AM »
That reminds me of a local window-replacement company who set up a stand at the local mall with a place to sign up for a contest for free windows.
Well, most people sign up, you might get lucky....
These "drawings" are usually fake.  Everyone is some kind of a winner (a discount, a small gift, etc.).  The company wants your contact information so they can call and sell you their products.

Regarding the O/P:  The idea of using scripts is great.  It's not like you can think straight when you're in the midst of a panic attack or even when you feel one coming on.  The bank manager/sales reps and people on the phone have a job to sell you something whether you ask for it or not.  Having a plan or script already in place to handle these situations is brilliant.  This will free you from the angst of wondering if you were polite because you certainly don't need that worry on top of everything else.

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 10:40:51 AM »
Think of it like having a conversation with a small child:

Kid: Mommy, why don't cats have long noses like elephants?
Mom: I don't know. They just don't.
Kid: But why not?
Mom: They just don't.
Mom: They just don't.
Mom: They just don't. We aren't talking about this anymore.

In the phone situation:
Phone person (PP): Why can't you donate at this time?
You: It's not possible at this time.
PP: Why can't you donate at this time? For our records?
You: It's not possible at this time.
PP: But for our records, why can't you donate?
You: It's not possible at this time.  I need to get off the phone now. Goodbye.

Look at it like the "script" you use with the teller at the bank.  You can start with the bare minimum of politeness to get youself started ("It's not possible at this time.  I need to get off the phone now. Goodbye.") and add on as you gain confidence.  I do suggest practicing at home in front of the mirror or with a close friend/relative who is not likely to induce panic attacks, and teach yourself to use pleasantries like "No, thank you," "please" (as in "please take me off your list"), etc. into the "script."

Ginderette

• Working on my Social Interaction +1 Skill...
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 09:50:46 AM »
The blood bank. Oh man, they can be so horrible; it seems that in the dire need of it they forget it's a donation. The callers need to stop leaving the impression of lining up donors like they're cows to be milked. I think the cows get treated with more respect too.  :P

Every now and then the blood bank will call, and they never want to talk to me (I guess my blood type is so common and I don't do platelets they could care less) but they do have an eye on my husband who does donate platelets. After the second hussle-like phone call from them, whenever their ID comes up on the phone, I say to DH it's the Vampires again. >:D

So now if we want to donate, we'll call them and set up a time. A lot less stress then the pushy random calls in the evening - which reminds me, hubby probably needs to drive that into their heads somehow.  :-\
"Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." ~ Mark Twain

Jan74

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 06:37:04 PM »
I donated platelets once as a teen and it HURT. A lot. I hope to get some karma points for that.

I've been anemic for years now though, so I can't donate. I need all my blood.   :P