Author Topic: Open Mouth, Insert Foot (warning, discusses offal)  (Read 4410 times)

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
Re: Open Mouth, Insert Foot (warning, discusses offal)
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 09:59:51 PM »
I'm not a vegetarian, but I am really surprised at the responses here. I think both of you erred.

I could handle her comment about the cruelty (though unnecesssary and not really a joke if that's what she truly believes), but your initial mention of slaughtering animals would have made me want to get up and walk out.  That's just not a conversation I want to have, particularly at the dinner table.  With her question, I probably would have excused myself.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
Re: Open Mouth, Insert Foot
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2010, 02:41:24 AM »
She asked, so I don't think you were wrong to answer. She may have been genuinely curious.
This. I don't think that either of you said anything wrong. It seems like you two have a friendly relationship where joking around and such is fine.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2010, 04:31:56 AM »
I thought it was common knowledge that animal byproducts are used as fertilizer - bone meal adds calcium and other minerals, for example.

I thought so, too.  It wouldn't ever occur to me that someone isn't already aware of this.  How do people think they get fertilized?!

Animal waste (as in excrements). I had no clue offal was used (had to look that one up. Yay, I learned a new word today!).

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2010, 01:43:57 PM »
She asked, so I don't think you were wrong to answer. She may have been genuinely curious.
This. I don't think that either of you said anything wrong. It seems like you two have a friendly rel@tionship where joking around and such is fine.
What about the people sitting at the table that didn't ask?
Is this really polite dinner conversation?

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2010, 10:37:39 PM »
This. I don't think that either of you said anything wrong. It seems like you two have a friendly rel@tionship where joking around and such is fine.
IMO it's just offal. But some people wouldn't be keen on this subject I guess. However, the conversation was between the OP and her friend. Presumably others were engaged in other conversations.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2010, 10:39:42 PM »
IMO it's just offal.
Mine too.   ;D

HollysCats

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2010, 12:21:00 AM »
still teething in ******* Rome.

OT, but I'm really curious about what word you typed that was so horrible that it had to be replaced with all *'s.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2010, 03:32:40 AM »

OT, but I'm really curious about what word you typed that was so horrible that it had to be replaced with all *'s.

I didn't want to say anything, but I was curious, too! I'm
glad I wasn't the only one!

Granny Takes a Trip

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2010, 03:45:47 AM »

POD to everyone who says that Megan was the rude one. I cannot stand the type of vegetarian who says 'so you know how those animals were killed', even in jest. Rude, rude, rude. If you're vegetarian, fine, but please don't judge me for eating meat. I might as well berate you (general) for not supporting the meat industry. I have little time for the holier than thou, be they religious, animal rights(PITA come to mind) or anything else.

OP, you were fine.
I have a thousand parents. Sadly they
Dissolve in their own virtues and recede.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2010, 03:18:54 PM »

I had to check my original post - "Pre-Empire" Rome should get through without the asterisks.  Because the Empire was started by his great-nephew Octavian, aka Augustus - but the term for "Pre Empire" is a political party in the USA and political terms are disallowed.  I forgot about that............checked my mental thesaurus for an alternative with no modern political issues..............
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

HollysCats

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2010, 04:32:15 PM »

I had to check my original post - "Pre-Empire" Rome should get through without the asterisks.  Because the Empire was started by his great-nephew Octavian, aka Augustus - but the term for "Pre Empire" is a political party in the USA and political terms are disallowed.  I forgot about that............checked my mental thesaurus for an alternative with no modern political issues..............

Thanks -- that's pretty funny.  I didn't realize political party names were filtered.  I wonder whether "republic" will make it through.

high dudgeon

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2010, 05:22:45 PM »
So can we call it Republicese Rome? Republicish? Republicesque? The Roman Government Formerly Known as a Republic?

magicdomino

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2010, 05:33:45 PM »
Roman Republic goes nicely with Roman Empire.

ETA:  And it gets through the filter. 

We now return you to your regular thread.   :D

Shea

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2010, 07:04:57 PM »
I really don't think you were rude. She asked about what you did with entrails and so forth, you answered. I also grew up in a rural area, so it wouldn't have occurred to me that some people are unaware that bone meal is used as fertilizer. If you'd started discussing the process of slaughter in great detail, then you'd have been rude. As it was, you merely answered a question.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.