Author Topic: Does This Look Icky or Inviting??  (Read 4821 times)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: Does This Look Icky or Inviting??
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 12:37:18 PM »
I think it looks icky. 

Also, I think the writer of the article is an idiot.  Beyond throwing away cake batter, which I agree Sweet monkey fritters!?
She says that red velvet cake is white cake with red food coloring.  As my grandfather would say, "Wrongo moosebreath"  Red Velvet is Chocolate cake with buttermilk.  When red coloring was $2/bottle, I started to make 'Brown Velvet', which is red velvet minus the red. 

freakyfemme

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 01:52:57 PM »
I think it looks cool. :)  Some people have a strange aversion to food with dye in it, though....my dad's one of them.  He's not allergic, it just weirds him out.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 04:35:30 PM »
I read somewhere once. (don't ask when or where, some things just percolate up from the depths)

That most people will not eat green or blue food (think green eggs and ham, not peas) something about that is the color of molds and we have almost a "racial memory" of "don't eat things that are that color"

I think that they did their experiment in a cafateria setting by coloring different food items wierd colors, and seeing how much of each was eaten.

Could be why a lot of us think that it looks "icky"
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

HogwartsAlum

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 04:43:50 PM »
I think it looks icky. 

Also, I think the writer of the article is an idiot.  Beyond throwing away cake batter, which I agree May I please ask what is happening here? ?
She says that red velvet cake is white cake with red food coloring.  As my grandfather would say, "Wrongo moosebreath"  Red Velvet is Chocolate cake with buttermilk.  When red coloring was $2/bottle, I started to make 'Brown Velvet', which is red velvet minus the red. 

That's a good idea.  I like the cake but sometimes I dont' want to pay that much for the food coloring.

One time I couldn't find red, so I got green...it made a GORGEOUS green cake!  I iced it white with green sprinkles; it would have been perfect for a St. Paddy's day party.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 05:34:11 PM »
Green Velvet.  I will have to remember that. 

I save the 'Brown Velvet' for family only.  It is a medium-light brown that lacks the zing of the red. My original recipe had 2 full bottles of red.   

I think part of the icky-ness in the picture is the mottled appearance.  Although I do admit to being shocked the first time I was served mushy peas.  They are a color green (radioactive looking) that food just should not be.  They taste great, though.   

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 06:18:01 PM »

I guess i am the minority here ... i love it. Throwing out cake mix does seem wasteful, but that aside ... wow, cool!!! I would so want to try that cake.

I also think anything blue that you can ingest is good stuff, so maybe i am weird. If i was a better cook i might try to make that myself ... and i don't even have kids.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2007, 04:54:21 PM »
It's very easy to make.  It's a boxed cake -- I put 1/3 in the cheesecake pan for the crust and baked the other 2/3 into cupcakes.  Then you just make the filling which is about as difficult as making instant pudding.  I couldn't find neon food coloring locally, so I just made bright sherbet colors.  I also added a little more almond flavoring.

It actually tasted okay, but if you are a much of a fan of cheesecake, this is not going to be your recipe.  The kids loved it -- it is very mild in flavor and simple in texture.  In terms of the appearance and in terms of the taste/texture, I wouldn't serve it to adults.  The quality of the cheesecake isn't going to satisfy adults who know better.