Author Topic: amusing or weird status response? *non-update post 6*  (Read 5493 times)

Roe

• Super Hero!
amusing or weird status response? *non-update post 6*
« on: August 05, 2010, 03:09:55 PM »
Something amusing happened via FB today and I thought I'd get ehellions opinion. It's nothing major or serious.   ;)

I know that it's a typical piece of advice to "ignore those that use PA tactics."  I've actually given this advice and try to follow it myself.  But today, I think a question was asked of me and so I did respond.

Situation:

Yesterday, my status read "I oppose celebrity marriage."  I was being silly and the status was in response to all the talk about the California Prop 8 situation. Most of my friends (almost all of them) got my sarcasm.  Many "liked" or LOL'd or added their own silly "opposition" comments.

Today, I'm on FB and a friend of mine (from high school days and I haven't chatted with him in years) has as his status: "Why so judgemental over celebrity marriages? They did not ask for the fame and fortune. Rember only the man above has that right to do so."  

I honestly don't know if his status is a response to my own status but he only has 20 friends and we have 20 friends in common and no one else seemed to post anything about celebrity marriages.  So...since he asked, I answered.  I sent him a PM saying..."hey, I'm just curious but is your status a response to my status from yesterday 'cause if it is...just wanted to let you know I really have nothing against celebrity marriages.  I was just being silly and it was in response to all the news coverage from yesterday."  

FTR, I don't oppose anyone's marriage or wanting to get married or anything.  So I just thought this was a bit amusing but now I hope I didn't accidentally offend him...though he isn't a celebrity, that I know of.  I haven't seen him in anything. ;)  (ftr, I do have a couple of lesser known celebrities on my friend list but even they 'got' the joke)  

So...sending him a PM explaining my status was okay?  He did ask, after all, so I hope it was okay to do so.  I just don't understand why he felt the need to post a response as his status when he could've just commented.  *shrug*    
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 05:14:58 PM by Roe »

Wendy Moira Angela Pan

• Formerly Ms. Wendy
Re: amusing or weird status response?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
Was he possibly also being jokey? Otherwise his status doesn't even make sense, since lots of celebrities do ask for fame and fortune.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 03:18:02 PM »
Some people have no sense of humour, and it sounds like he's one.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Amava

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 03:18:46 PM »
Maybe he's secretly dating a celebrity and planning to get married?  ;D

j/k

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 03:42:07 PM »
Was he possibly also being jokey? Otherwise his status doesn't even make sense, since lots of celebrities do ask for fame and fortune.

That was my first though.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 03:46:28 PM »
Some people have no sense of humour, and it sounds like he's one.

Yup.  I thought your status was cute, OP.  What's not to get?

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 05:13:14 PM »
Just got his response.  

"Don't be sarcastic that is unlike you. By the way, I am glad you and your DH are still together '' Congrats '' on my behalf. Oh,I saw you at Popular Restaurant today. Have a good evening."

That's it.  What do you think?  Time to defriend him?  lol.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 05:14:49 PM by Roe »

cbcb

• Canadian living in the US
Re: amusing or weird status response? *non-update post 6*
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 05:15:42 PM »
Just got his response.  

"Don't be sarcastic that is unlike you. By the way, I am glad you and your DH are still together '' Congrats '' on my behalf. Oh,I saw you at Popular Restaurant today. Have a good evening."

That's it.  What do you think?  Time to defriend him?  lol.

Yeah, I don't think I'd need anyone on my friend's list deciding what is "unlike me" and therefore how I should act. Blah. Could defriend or just hide and hide your wall from him. :)

Amava

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 05:18:30 PM »
I bet his answer makes sense, on his planet.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 05:22:51 PM »
I think it couldn't hurt to take his friend list down to 19.

One Goat to Rule Them All

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 05:23:51 PM »
He's glad you're still married? What a weird thing to say! That whole response is weird.  ???

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 05:36:25 PM »
  His response would have brought out my sarcastic side in spades. Even if the "I'm glad you live with your husband " was in direct reply to recent comments by you that you might not be living with your husband much longer. If you didn't ......
BTW I'm glad you haven't tried to lead a coup against the cheeseburger overlords.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 05:37:49 PM »
You haven't spoken with this guy in real life for years and he's telling you to not be sarcastic and then telling you what's unlike you?  And he can't get an obvious joke?  A non-malicious one at that...  I say not only unfriend him, but straight up block him.  That's some freaky negativity there.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 05:40:56 PM »
I would at least hide his feed and hide him from my page.  Nobody I haven't had contact with in years gets to tell me I can't be sarcastic, darnit!   ::)   ;D

Amava

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 05:43:48 PM »
Is he often acting so bizarre?