Author Topic: amusing or weird status response? *non-update post 6*  (Read 5928 times)

Viscountess

Re: amusing or weird status response? *non-update post 6*
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 05:49:15 PM »
A guy you haven't talked with for years says that you can't be sarcastic because it isn't like you?  Talk about an assumption.  I'd defriend him or at least hide your news feed from him.  
"If you don't like something, then change it.  If you can't change it, then change your attitude towards it."

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 05:50:38 PM »

Donít do that, itís not like you, glad you and DH are still together?  ??? :-\
Thatís a really odd thing to say and to say like that. Personally Iíd be ticked at the ďDonít do that, itís not like you,Ē but Iím touchy about things like that, I think.

Öbut Iím not talking to you because I oppose people who oppose celebrity marriages. Iím going to start my own FB Page about it.  >:D

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Allyson

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 06:52:24 PM »
See, I'd have taken his first comment as a joke, like playing off of your 'opposes celebrity marriages' in the same silly way. His response, though, is extremely odd. For one thing, I can't find where you were sarcastic!

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 07:09:43 PM »
Well, guess what?  I just checked and he took me off his friend's list.  Weird.  So I just went ahead and blocked him.  He's too weird for my tastes.  LOL.

I don't know but I think he secretly harbors ill will towards me or something.  All this time that he's been on my list, he never so much as sent a "hi, how are you msg" or anything, which is fine...but he does post 'how are you' msgs to his other friends. (I can see wall-to-wall)  Then out of the blue, I get this today...yeah, he's odd.

He used to like me in hs but I always just thought of him as a friend.  It's kinda sad for him if he's still upset over THAT!  But really, that's the first thing I thought of when he brought my DH into the conversation...weird

I typically only have very good friends on my list but since he *used* to be a good friend back in school, I made an exception.  See, I should've followed my gut back when he requested me as a friend.

Ah well, at least problem solved.  :)   

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 07:11:54 PM »
Personally Iíd be ticked at the ďDonít do that, itís not like you,Ē but Iím touchy about things like that, I think.

I actually HATE it when people say that to me.  I get that often.  I should really post a thread about it.   ::)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 04:43:09 PM »
He's glad you're still married? What a weird thing to say! That whole response is weird.  ???

I don't think that's such a weird thing to say.

He may not have particularly noticed you much until this exchange, and so he looked at your profile and realized you're still married. Or he noticed back when you first "friended" on another, and since you're on the topic of marriage, he thought he'd congratulate you, bcs not everyone does stay married. Staying married means you either chose well or acted wisely afterward, I think. Sometimes both.

I confess, I wonder that for the people I've reconnected with--are they still married?

And I'd have taken his comment as an extension of your joke, and I think your reply to him was too much somehow.

One Goat to Rule Them All

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 07:14:37 PM »
He's glad you're still married? What a weird thing to say! That whole response is weird.  ???

I don't think that's such a weird thing to say.

He may not have particularly noticed you much until this exchange, and so he looked at your profile and realized you're still married. Or he noticed back when you first "friended" on another, and since you're on the topic of marriage, he thought he'd congratulate you, bcs not everyone does stay married. Staying married means you either chose well or acted wisely afterward, I think. Sometimes both.

I confess, I wonder that for the people I've reconnected with--are they still married?

And I'd have taken his comment as an extension of your joke, and I think your reply to him was too much somehow.

Just because many marriages end in divorce doesn't mean it's ok to say things like "I'm glad to see you and your husband are still together". It's still polite to assume that marriages are going to last forever until it turns out that they haven't, and when you are happily married its a bit rankling to have people make casual comments about the state of your marriage as if they assumed you wouldn't make it this long.

Wendy Moira Angela Pan

• Formerly Ms. Wendy
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 11:18:51 PM »
I completely agree with Fiver. It's extremely rude to imply to some one that you think their marriage won't last. Saying something like, "I'm glad you're still married" implies that you're surprised their marriage has lasted this long.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 03:57:06 PM »
I completely agree with Fiver. It's extremely rude to imply to some one that you think their marriage won't last. Saying something like, "I'm glad you're still married" implies that you're surprised their marriage has lasted this long.

Thirded. It sounds to me like the next line is going to be, "I thought you'd never make it this far."
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

ettiquit

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
Well, guess what?  I just checked and he took me off his friend's list.  Weird.  So I just went ahead and blocked him.  He's too weird for my tastes.  LOL.

I don't know but I think he secretly harbors ill will towards me or something.  All this time that he's been on my list, he never so much as sent a "hi, how are you msg" or anything, which is fine...but he does post 'how are you' msgs to his other friends. (I can see wall-to-wall)  Then out of the blue, I get this today...yeah, he's odd.

He used to like me in hs but I always just thought of him as a friend.  It's kinda sad for him if he's still upset over THAT!  But really, that's the first thing I thought of when he brought my DH into the conversation...weird

I typically only have very good friends on my list but since he *used* to be a good friend back in school, I made an exception.  See, I should've followed my gut back when he requested me as a friend.

Ah well, at least problem solved.  :)   

Glad he made the choice about the future of your FB friendship for you!  I also think it's weird that he says he saw you at Popular Restaurant, but clearly didn't stop by to say hello.  Granted, he could have been respecting your privacy but it's still a bit odd to me.

EnoughAlready22

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 02:22:13 PM »
Is he gay?  The only thing I can think of is that he is gay and felt you were making a joke about his ability to marry.  Otherwise, I have no clue!

amylouky

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 04:40:09 PM »
See, I'd have taken his first comment as a joke, like playing off of your 'opposes celebrity marriages' in the same silly way. His response, though, is extremely odd. For one thing, I can't find where you were sarcastic!

I would have, too.. especially since those are common arguments in the g*a*y marriage argument.. that they didn't ask to be that way, and that they were made that way by the man above..
I think maybe you're the one who didn't get the joke.

His response is very weird, though.. maybe he was secretly hoping you and DH wouldn't work out, if he liked you in hs!

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 04:57:36 PM »
Is he g*a*y?  The only thing I can think of is that he is g*a*y and felt you were making a joke about his ability to marry.  Otherwise, I have no clue!

Maybe.  I'm not sure.  I blocked him so I can't see his wall any longer, however, a friend of mine did and apparently he and another person had this long, serious discussion about how only HE (God) can judge others.  It turned into a religious conversation so maybe I didn't get his joke but I honestly don't think he was joking much.  He really saw my status as being judgemental against celebrities.  Oh well, it's been over and done with for awhile now and once I blocked him, I felt much better.

When I told my DH about it, his first response was "I'm not surprised, he's always been weird."