Author Topic: What did I just see and hear?  (Read 6033 times)

Syfygeek

Re: What did I just see and hear?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 12:46:21 PM »
""For the racist comments, ask him if he would use those same words in church or during sermon. If they're not appropriate then, then they're not appropriate in polite company""

I am absolutely going to use this the next time he uses the phrases with me. Thank you Ambrosia Hino!

Thank you everyone for your advice- I really like my new found family, but the open-door policy had me freaking out. And shutting and locking the door each time I went in the bathroom. 

On a funny note- the bathroom rug gets caught on the door and flips back every time you open the door. I thought it was strange that they kept it there when it was in the way, but then I realized they don't shut the door so it doesn't get caught for them!
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 12:52:56 PM »
Well, I don't always shut my bathroom door at home, but everywhere else, I definitely shut it. And if people are at my home, I definitely shut it. But I'm not sure what you can do when you're at someone else's home other than not to go there and to ignore open doors as best you can while you're there.

As for the racist remarks, I might say something like "I'm not comfortable hearing those words.  Would you mind not using them in my presence?" without mentioning that they're prejudiced or bringing up any other issues.

I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Jocelyn

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 05:00:21 PM »
I don't shut my bathroom door, but then, I live alone.  ;D
When I'm in a house with other people, I not only shut the door, I consider the door to be absolutely, 100% soundproof if I am using any plumbing fixture other than the sink. That is, I am unable to hear requests to open the door, or attempts to converse with me. Nope, can't hear you, dude. Using the bathroom is not a social occasion.
Well, it might be, but then, the other person would be on the same side of the door as I am.  >:D