Author Topic: following up a resume for a "till the position is filled" job posting  (Read 1968 times)

Ishe

This is the first time I've applied to a job posting that didn't have an application deadline. Instead, it said the position is open until filled. I regularly check the website it was posted on and sent my application a day after I saw it. What's the etiquette on this type of posting? I really want to follow up with them about the progress of their search. Did they find someone yet, are they interviewing already or is my resume kept on file and thanks but no thanks. With a deadline, I've always figured that it's a "don't call us, we'll call you". Any thoughts on how to proceed?

sbtier

• Super Hero!
Re: following up a resume for a "till the position is filled" job posting
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 01:29:14 PM »
I think it's a don't call us, we'll call you situation.  A company is probably not going to tell you the progress of their search, it's not really your business.

Ishe

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 08:53:06 PM »
Thanks. It would be for the best not to call them up. It's entirely up to them what the next step would be.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 09:26:14 PM »
Did the posting list a date for beginning a review period?  Was there any sort of date listed in the posting/advertisement at all?

Ishe

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
No, it didn't have beginning date or any dates really. It listed the hours, pay and a brief job description. The only way I was able to see the date it was posted was checking on the properties of the PDF it was displayed on.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 08:30:42 PM »
Ishe ~~  are you sure it's a legitimate job opportunity?  Did you check them out before you sent in the application?  Did they ask for a lot of personal stuff on that application? 

I always try to be extremely positive about these kinds of things, but this particular situation seems a little 'off' somehow.  (On the other hand I'm retired and it's been a long time since I filled out an application, so maybe I'm just so hopelessly behind the times that I no longer know what is "normal" and what isn't.)  >:(

Ishe

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 09:47:15 AM »
Thanks for the concern, but it is a legitimate company. I recognize the name and contact information as being legitimate. It does seem a bit odd considering the lack of much information beyond the company, job description and wages. I am wondering if it's one of those listings where the company already has someone in mind and are just putting the offer out there to follow protocol. Oh well.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 09:50:15 AM »
Well, without a date, I don't think it would be inappropriate to call 3 or 4 weeks after you submitted your application, and ask if you can get an update on the status of the job posting.

audrey1962

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 10:01:30 AM »
Ishe ~~  are you sure it's a legitimate job opportunity?  Did you check them out before you sent in the application?  Did they ask for a lot of personal stuff on that application? 

I always try to be extremely positive about these kinds of things, but this particular situation seems a little 'off' somehow.  (On the other hand I'm retired and it's been a long time since I filled out an application, so maybe I'm just so hopelessly behind the times that I no longer know what is "normal" and what isn't.)  >:(

Perhaps it's regional, but where I am from, this is completely normal.