Author Topic: Is There an Etiquette of Trash Cans?  (Read 4149 times)

LadyJaneinMD

Re: Is There an Etiquette of Trash Cans?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 12:19:17 PM »
As long as he's disposing of the burning end of the butt before putting it into the can, there's nothing wrong with this. What's he supposed to do, when there are no ashtrays? I lived in a city in college that banned smoking, got rid of almost all outdoor ashtrays, and then complained about all the butts on the ground. Um, duh?!

You squeeze the butt end until it's cool, and put it into your pocket.  My brother learned this while in the Army, and he *never* tossed a cigarette butt on the ground after that. 

There's no excuse for throwing your garbage on the ground.  You carry it with you until you find a trash can.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 12:46:30 PM »
I have to confess that I feel a little sorry for smokers.  They are told to smoke outside, XX number of feet away from any door, yet there are no longer ashtrays for them to use. 

Trash cans are not safe places for cigarettes.  Sometimes the smoker has stepped on it and really thinks it is out, but it isn't.   

But don't remove all the ashtrays and then admonish them for leaving their butts in the street/on the sidewalk.  There need to be options available and when the bans prohibited smoking indoors, the number of outdoor ashtrays should have (if anything) been increased, not decreased to zero!

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 01:10:53 PM »
I have to confess that I feel a little sorry for smokers.  They are told to smoke outside, XX number of feet away from any door, yet there are no longer ashtrays for them to use. 

In the OP, aren't there still ashtrays and they're just in the smoking area rather than in the area where smoking is prohibited?
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 01:14:36 PM »

In the OP, aren't there still ashtrays and they're just in the smoking area rather than in the area where smoking is prohibited?

She said they had been removed, not just moved but maybe I interpreted her post incorrectly.  I don't know where she is, but in our area, they seem to have become nonexistent. 

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 01:17:18 PM »

She said they had been removed, not just moved but maybe I interpreted her post incorrectly.  I don't know where she is, but in our area, they seem to have become nonexistent. 

Wow! They just move them where I'm from - a certain distance from the doors. Most places have even built pagodas to smokers to sit in so they have shelter in bad weather.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

HollysCats

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 04:18:19 AM »
In every office I've ever worked in, people threw their smelly trash in the kitchen or bathroom trash cans, on the theory that if you're going to stink up a room, it's better to choose one where people don't spend much of their time.  (I've never worked in an office with a combined kitchen / break room; I imagine that with that kind of setup, stinky trash would go into the bathroom trash only).