A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

When A Common Phrase Isn't....

(1/13) > >>

Clara Bow:
I was ridiculously busy at work Wednesday night...one of those nights where you want to choke anyone who sneers that night shift nurses have it easier than day shift. I had four patients with "I need you RIGHT NOW" issues (real ones...not perceived either. It was a zoo). I ran into a patient's room to get his IV going and told him that I would be back as soon as I could to bring him his oral meds but I had a "couple fires to put out first". As in, the phrase...not literal fires. Think "irons in the fire".

When I returned he said "You have to put out fires up here? What room was it?"

*facepalm* Oops. I had to explain that I meant the old phrase "putting out fires" as in "busy", not "Backdraft".

Anyone have a story about a time an old saying backfired (pun semi-intended) on you?

Scritzy:
Years ago, my [then] massage therapist asked how I'd liked my vacation.

I said, "Oh, it was great, but I stepped in an ant bed as soon as I got back to work."

("Stepped in an ant bed" meaning as soon as I walked in, I was swarmed with work from all sides. Maybe not as common a saying ...)

Her reply: "Oh my gosh! Are you all right? How many stings did you get?"

Edited to correct typo.

KenveeB:
A coworker uses the phrase "killing rats" in the same meaning of "putting out fires."  I was boggling the first time I heard that!

FoxPaws:

--- Quote from: KenveeB on August 07, 2010, 10:28:43 AM ---A coworker uses the phrase "killing rats" in the same meaning of "putting out fires."  I was boggling the first time I heard that!

--- End quote ---
They let you play games at work? 8)

KenveeB:

--- Quote from: FoxPaws on August 07, 2010, 10:36:47 AM ---
--- Quote from: KenveeB on August 07, 2010, 10:28:43 AM ---A coworker uses the phrase "killing rats" in the same meaning of "putting out fires."  I was boggling the first time I heard that!

--- End quote ---
They let you play games at work? 8)

--- End quote ---

Everything but Scrabble! ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version