A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Kindle protection, pros vs cons?

(1/6) > >>

katcheya:
I became the proud owner of a Kindle for my birthday!   ;D

So now I'm having a bit of a dilemma.  I don't know if I should purchase a Kindle Cover or a Kindle Case...  I like the idea of how easy it is to pull a cover out of my backpack, and get to reading, but I also prefer the zip-up case, which would offer a bit more waterproofing while I travel.

What do you guys think?  What would you recommend?   :-\

demarco:
I'm not sure what you mean by a cover.  Does it cover the just the back and sides of the unit or do you slip the whole unit inside the cover (like an envelope) or does a cover flip over the front?  (I'm in the market for an iPAD cover right now and I've seen all three types for that.)  If it's the latter, I'd choose that over a zipper case.  I always get annoyed having to zip and unzip things over and over on a trip.   On the other hand, I wouldn't want to leave the front of the unit exposed nor would I want to have to keep pulling/pushing it in and out of  a case.  

Edited to add:  I looked it up. (Should have done that in the first place :-[)  Yeah, I'd take the cover.  Waterproofing isn't something I'd worry about. 

katcheya:
I'll clarify.

A cover is sort of like a the dust jacket on a hardcover book - it flips open and protects the front and back, but the sides are still a bit exposed.  You don;t have to remove i to read the Kindle.

A case is a bag you insert your Kindle in - it zips up.  You remove your Kindle from the case to us it.

There's also the sleeve, which is similar to the case - you slide the Kindle in and out of it.  The top remains open.  I personally don't want the sleeve because your Kindle isn't secured inside.

I'm concerned with water resistance because I live in Canada.  Should I be stuck outside (with or without an umbrella) in the rain, or when winter hits and it starts to snow and sleet, my backpack WILL get wet.

cbcb:
So, the cover is the most practical for when the Kindle is in use. It is also the piece you and others will view. The case is functional, but spends most of it's time in another bag - and doe not protect the Kindle during use. 

I'll tell you what I would do - get the cover, and use a large zip-lock as a waterproof "case" that the Kindle in its cover is placed into in a bag.

Sharnita:
my mom has a cover that opens like a book cover and she likes the feel of it - like a "real" book.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version