Author Topic: Kindle protection, pros vs cons?  (Read 2369 times)

katcheya

Kindle protection, pros vs cons?
« on: August 07, 2010, 08:51:44 AM »
I became the proud owner of a Kindle for my birthday!   ;D

So now I'm having a bit of a dilemma.  I don't know if I should purchase a Kindle Cover or a Kindle Case...  I like the idea of how easy it is to pull a cover out of my backpack, and get to reading, but I also prefer the zip-up case, which would offer a bit more waterproofing while I travel.

What do you guys think?  What would you recommend?   :-\

demarco

Re: Kindle protection, pros vs cons?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 10:24:42 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean by a cover.  Does it cover the just the back and sides of the unit or do you slip the whole unit inside the cover (like an envelope) or does a cover flip over the front?  (I'm in the market for an iPAD cover right now and I've seen all three types for that.)  If it's the latter, I'd choose that over a zipper case.  I always get annoyed having to zip and unzip things over and over on a trip.   On the other hand, I wouldn't want to leave the front of the unit exposed nor would I want to have to keep pulling/pushing it in and out of  a case.  

Edited to add:  I looked it up. (Should have done that in the first place :-[)  Yeah, I'd take the cover.  Waterproofing isn't something I'd worry about. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:28:55 AM by demarco »

katcheya

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 10:46:21 AM »
I'll clarify.

A cover is sort of like a the dust jacket on a hardcover book - it flips open and protects the front and back, but the sides are still a bit exposed.  You don;t have to remove i to read the Kindle.

A case is a bag you insert your Kindle in - it zips up.  You remove your Kindle from the case to us it.

There's also the sleeve, which is similar to the case - you slide the Kindle in and out of it.  The top remains open.  I personally don't want the sleeve because your Kindle isn't secured inside.

I'm concerned with water resistance because I live in Canada.  Should I be stuck outside (with or without an umbrella) in the rain, or when winter hits and it starts to snow and sleet, my backpack WILL get wet.

cbcb

• Canadian living in the US
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 11:42:08 AM »
So, the cover is the most practical for when the Kindle is in use. It is also the piece you and others will view. The case is functional, but spends most of it's time in another bag - and doe not protect the Kindle during use. 

I'll tell you what I would do - get the cover, and use a large zip-lock as a waterproof "case" that the Kindle in its cover is placed into in a bag.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 11:50:48 AM »
my mom has a cover that opens like a book cover and she likes the feel of it - like a "real" book.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 11:55:45 AM »
I have a zippered case.  It works for me, but my main concern is that it not make the Kindle to big to carry in my purse and that it offer a bit of padding to protect the screen.  I also don't want to have to read the Kindle with anything else on it.  A cover would make it too cumbersome to hold, for me.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 03:10:17 PM »
My Kindle 2 has the M-Edge 'hinge' cover, which I bought because it had a good rating on Amazon. There are two slots on the left side of the Kindle that this case locks into, so the Kindle can't fall out of the case like the Kindle 1.  My Kindle 1 has the case it came with, which stood the test of time of 2 years of commuting on bus/train.  I've never removed either Kindle from the case, I read with the case on.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 03:39:39 PM »
I have a Sony Pocket Reader - it came with a neoprene sleeve (protects three sides with padding) that I have never used.  It was a package that included a leather "book cover" with a battery operated book light built into the spine - which I love!  The leather edge goes a little past the edges of the reader, so there is some protection - but it is nowhere near waterproof. 

I tend to leave it at home unless we are traveling on vacation - then I take it and leave it in a safer place in the car.  SO far, it hasn't gotten wet..............maybe I need to get a zip lock bag from the kitchen "just in case"?  Rather like the one that you are supposed to put your toiletries in when flying?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

alegria

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 05:08:49 PM »
As long as you have some sort of firm padded protection over the Kindle screen, you'll be set.  The three people I know of who had to get theirs replaced were all carrying the Kindle naked previous to the replacement.  Using a case prevents the cumulative damage that will destroy the screen over time.  :)

I use the Amazon branded case for my Kindle2, and I'm very happy with it.

kennedar

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 06:08:25 PM »
I am another Canadian Kindle owner, I am going to guess that you live in Vancouver/Victoria because of the concern over the sleet?? I am in Calgary, so we do not have the same amount of sleet/rain that other places do. However I bring my Kindle with me everywhere, it lives in the big pocket of my purse. It only has the cover on it, and I have found that that is enough. I often bring mine in the bath, by the beach, etc so it has gotten damp before without it being a big deal. I really do not think you need much more than a cover, even with it being in the rain. As long as you put it away as soon as the rain starts, a little bit of damp will not hurt it.

katcheya

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 06:26:14 PM »
I am another Canadian Kindle owner, I am going to guess that you live in Vancouver/Victoria because of the concern over the sleet?? I am in Calgary, so we do not have the same amount of sleet/rain that other places do. However I bring my Kindle with me everywhere, it lives in the big pocket of my purse. It only has the cover on it, and I have found that that is enough. I often bring mine in the bath, by the beach, etc so it has gotten damp before without it being a big deal. I really do not think you need much more than a cover, even with it being in the rain. As long as you put it away as soon as the rain starts, a little bit of damp will not hurt it.

Excellent guess, but I'm from Ottawa!  ^_^  Our winters aren't as wet as Southern BC, but they can vary from mild and wet to "CRUD MONKEYS! my nose is gonna freeze off."

Which brings another question...  I wonder if a cover would offer more protection from the cold?  Maybe a neoprene case would offer more insulation...

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 08:25:40 PM »
:::coughcoughOberoncoughcough:::

I actually have both a cover and a bag for my nook. I'm a little clumsy so wanted a cover to protect it, but then realized I'd probably be carrying it around in my purse, too, and the holes for the outlets would be exposed, so bought a zippered bag for it too. The bag is padded to offer additional protection.

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 08:26:24 PM »

Excellent guess, but I'm from Ottawa!  ^_^  Our winters aren't as wet as Southern BC, but they can vary from mild and wet to "CRUD MONKEYS! my nose is gonna freeze off."

Which brings another question...  I wonder if a cover would offer more protection from the cold?  Maybe a neoprene case would offer more insulation...
I have a question for the Canadians. I'm in Boston and I notice the Kindle 1 e-ink starts to 'freeze' in about 10 minutes in below 30F degree weather, the page turning goes slower and slower, then stops altogether.  Have you ever brought it out in the 'real' cold and does it work at all?

kennedar

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 08:31:27 PM »
I got mine at Christmas this year, so I have only had it for one winter. I have not really used it in the "real" cold yet, although it would make sense that it would freeze up as my iPod does. I think it depends on how long it was out in the cold....I only really use mine for a few minutes until the car warms up.

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 01:42:28 AM »
I have a foam padded sleeve for mine. It actually stays in pretty well, the sleeve is very snug and I have to squeeze the sides in order to get the Kindle out. I'm very happy with it.

I don't actually bring my Kindle with me usually, but when I do I have found the sleeve to be perfectly adequate protection.