Author Topic: What do you call a man who doesn't argue about seeing the doctor?  (Read 2897 times)

wonderfullyanonymous

Re: What do you call a man who doesn't argue about seeing the doctor?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 10:46:14 PM »
DF is equally stubborn.

He was sick for a while, had swelling in his scrotum, and it was very painful for him, he was also running a fever and was nauseous and vomiting.
He finally decides to go to the walk in clinic, and from there was sent to the ER. Of course, the ER is busy as all get out.

When he is seen by a doctor, he is admitted, and then told he needs to have emergency surgery to open the infection and remove gangrenous tissue.
Because of the infection, he also had a funky smell.

He was later told my his surgeon that had he waited a few more hours, he would have died. He came out of surgery with a gaping wound in his (using a euphamism because it is the easiest way to describe) downstairs. The incision was at least 8" long starting at his scrotum and moving parallel to his anal area.

However, I did make a few people laugh when I teased him about his vag*na, and now he knew what it was like to have a monthly cylcle.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:49:23 PM by wonderfullyanonymous »

Micah

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 05:11:30 AM »
One of my other half's mates went off what was basically a cliff on a motor bike. He hit a tree, fell through the branches, got knocked out and woke up on the ground with the bike suspended in the branches above him. He walked several kilometers to the nearest pub, having to stop several times and lie down because he was in severe pain. He called his wife from the pub, had a few beers waiting for her, then convinced her that he didn't need to go to hospital.

She finally dragged him to emergency at about three in the morning. He gone to the kitchen for a drink, nearly passed out from pain, laid on the floor and couldn't get up. Turns out he had three fractured vertebrae, ruptured spleen and a lacerated liver. 
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 10:43:24 AM »
I guess I'm lucky...my DH was perfectly willing to go to the ER the time he sprained his ankle, the time with the pulmonary emboli, and when his gallbladder quit working (the last 2 both involved weeklong hospitalizations). The spider bite and severe migraine that affected his vision, he called our doctor, and got worked into the schedule immediately (migraine got sent from there to the ER, admitted and kept overnight). We have a deal - if you complain something hurts more than once, you need to see the doctor about it. If it affects your ability to function normally, you need to go to the ER. (He's had to force me before too)

another one VorFemme's husband (my dad) pulled...he was out for his usual morning run, and tripped over something in the pre-dawn dusk, dislocating his shoulder and scraping the rest of himself up. He said he'd popped his shoulder back in and walked home. Then asked my mom to call and make him an appointment with the emergency room

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 10:48:16 AM »
I have had to drag Southern Honey to the doc a couple of times, once for what turned out to be not heartburn but some seriously excessive stomach acid (I have yet to be effective in getting him to take his meds consistently ::)) and once to the ER when he had a full-body allergic reaction to ... something that resulted in nasty, itchy hives everywhere, from his scalp to the bottoms of his feet.  I wanted to take him to urgent care as soon as I got home from work and saw him, but he refused.  Finally, around 7:30, it had gotten so bad that he was shaking in an effort not to scratch, so I loaded him in the car and we were seeing a doc in the ER about five hours later.

I'm surprised his friends got him to the hospital when he fell out of his lofted bed and landed on a chair in college -- he hit the back of it right between the eys and needed eight or nine stitches to close it up.

flo

• used to be re-moe
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 10:58:30 AM »
I joke that my DH has a secret medical degree because he always has tones of advice for the rest of us and of course he never needs to see a doctor.

Years ago, he was innertubing behind a boat, got whipped around, flew out of the tube, hit the water and pretty much looked like he was a rock skipping the water.  He was really sore after and took it easier (but not easy) for the next few days.  Weeks later, he realized that he was still in too much pain to pass a PT test (Military physical fitness test) so he finally went to see a doctor.  He had ruptured his spleen and lacerated his liver.  How he survived is a mystery and a miracle.  It took months of doing almost nothing (couldn't lift over five pounds or go faster than a walk) for it to heal completely.  The good part is that it scared him enough that he is much better about going to see a doctor now.

And the time he had a kidney stone, all bets were off.  He went right to the ER, and begged for an IV with pain medicine.  He hates needles.  I've never seen him do anything but grudgingly submit to having a needle poked into his body!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 11:10:36 AM »

another one VorFemme's husband (my dad) pulled...he was out for his usual morning run, and tripped over something in the pre-dawn dusk, dislocating his shoulder and scraping the rest of himself up. He said he'd popped his shoulder back in and walked home. Then asked my mom to call and make him an appointment with the emergency room

The reason that he didn't go to the emergency room earlier was that he had an appointment for a physical fitness test (exercise bike with various tests) and didn't want to miss it.  He flunked the test.  He was upset but headed back to work until I could tell him when his appointment at the emergency room had been scheduled.

He also made me shower & change clothes after I ran over a hornet's nest while doing yard work some five years after the "make me an appointment story".  The doctor chewed him out - my mother is allergic (anaphylactic shock reaction) to insect stings - but admitted to me that if I was able to shower & change, then I wasn't going to die.  Then he handed me some strong pain killers and sent me home.............to sleep.

I had to call a friend to come over to watch VorSon while I was knocked out, as VorGuy went back to work and Ambrosia Hino was in school. 

I don't remember much for the rest of the day.................I'm told that I slept like a stone for almost eight hours, got up, drank some water, nibbled on something, used the facilities, and went back to sleep until the next morning...........but I really can't say that I *remember* it for myself.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 11:18:45 AM »

The reason that he didn't go to the emergency room earlier was that he had an appointment for a physical fitness test (exercise bike with various tests) and didn't want to miss it.  He flunked the test.  He was upset but headed back to work until I could tell him when his appointment at the emergency room had been scheduled.

He also made me shower & change clothes after I ran over a hornet's nest while doing yard work some five years after the "make me an appointment story".  The doctor chewed him out - my mother is allergic (anaphylactic shock reaction) to insect stings - but admitted to me that if I was able to shower & change, then I wasn't going to die.  Then he handed me some strong pain killers and sent me home.............to sleep.

I had to call a friend to come over to watch VorSon while I was knocked out, as VorGuy went back to work and Ambrosia Hino was in school. 

I don't remember much for the rest of the day.................I'm told that I slept like a stone for almost eight hours, got up, drank some water, nibbled on something, used the facilities, and went back to sleep until the next morning...........but I really can't say that I *remember* it for myself.

I sorta remember that. I know I've been very careful to avoid beestings ever since I found out that Grandma was allergic - so far, so good. 26 years old and never been stung!

And the time he had a kidney stone, all bets were off.  He went right to the ER, and begged for an IV with pain medicine.  He hates needles.  I've never seen him do anything but grudgingly submit to having a needle poked into his body!

From what my DH's stepmother has said, docs consider the pain of a male passing a kidney stone to rate up there with childbirth. At least I know what to say to FIL if he tries to tease me after I have the baby (she had to take him to the ER for a kidney stone while they were dating; he was apparently a "big baby" about it) >:D

CakeEater

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 04:47:38 PM »
tuna are not more important than lungs.

Good advice for everyone, really.  :)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 05:11:56 PM »
No one in my family is that stupid, and I mean that in my nicest possible way.  

I used to work with a guy that was out for over a week because he continued to do yard work after a heat stroke in Texas in summer.  I know what you are thinking, he just missed the signs, lots of people do that.  In his case, his right hand and arm curled up and wouldn't straighten.  So, what did he do?  I think you guessed.  He switched to his left hand and continued to work.  Eventually, his left arm curled up, and he went inside, and wife took him to the hospital.  He didn't want to go, but without a working arm he couldn't fight her much.  He was shocked when we told him an arm curling up on it's own was a clear sign that something was wrong.  
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:21:12 PM by Sophia »

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 07:05:55 PM »
My mother had to drag my father to the hospital to get his gallbladder out, despite the fact that he was in crippling pain and so severely jaundiced that he was completely yellow. She also stole his pants so he would be forced to spend at least one night in the hospital. However, he had his credit card number memorized, so he ordered a pepperoni pizza and called his friends to bring beer and have a gallbladder removal party.

He also spent approximately three hours in bed after collapsing with chest pains, and then spent the rest of his hospital stay wandering the corridors with his multitool, fixing equipment for the nurses. He also almost bled to death from a torn esophagus that he waited two days to get treated for.

My sweetie is a little better about going to the doctor, though he has just about reached the conclusion that they're all useless, since they never give him concrete answers and always give him a big bill. However, while doctors are useless to him, they are absolutely critical to me, and he has dragged me to the hospital on multiple occasions while I have insisted that I'm totally fine, and the screaming pain will go away in a few hours.

snowfire

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 10:52:01 PM »
Yeah, the one time DH absolutely begged me to take him to the ER was with a kidney stone.  Not fun!!!!! :o  However, a bored engineer, stoned to the eyeballs on morphine is a dangerous thing!!!

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 09:24:11 AM »
Yeah, the one time DH absolutely begged me to take him to the ER was with a kidney stone.  Not fun!!!!! :o  However, a bored engineer, stoned to the eyeballs on morphine is a dangerous thing!!!

oh now that sounds like there is at least one story there.....
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Nora

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 10:57:21 AM »

oh now that sounds like there is at least one story there.....

Yes, do tell!
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 08:01:38 PM »
I suppose I'm no better. I recall a doctor once doing a double-take after reading my EKG, and scolding, "Most people come in within 2 hours of this, not 2 weeks!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

snowfire

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 10:28:33 PM »
Okay, I'll spill.  ;D

DH & I got home from the hospital around 10AM or so.  The Doctor had told DH to do "normal activity" to try to get the kidney stone moving, however, going in to work while tanked up on the morphine from the ER would have been a BAD IDEA.

We were in the middle of finishing our basement family room.  We had put in wood flooring & marble tile where we were going to put the wet bar.  The plumbing for the wet bar sink had been roughed in with the pipes just capped off.  We needed to put valves on these pipes, then we could install the cabinets, countertop & sink.

We do have a water shutoff in our mechanical room & we thought that it would shut off the water for the whole house.  (There is another shutoff under the house, but it is a royal pain to get to. You have to go through an 18" trap door about 5' up a wall & crawl across the crawlspace, through a stud wall, then crawl over to the shutoff.)

DH shut off the water in the mechanical room and proceeded to cut off one of the caps.  No problem, just a small trickle of water.  He got the valve installed and proceeded to cut off the other cap.  :o :o :o MAJOR GUSHER!!!!!  The big valve had NOT shut off the water to this pipe & we had full force water gushing all over our brand new wood floor.

DH bellowed my name.  I thought that he had been hurt.  I ran for the stairs just in time to see a DH shaped blur fly past me heading for the crawlspace.  I rightly assumed from the high velocity at which he was moving that he was not injured.  By the time I got to the bottom of the staircase (about 3 seconds - I flew down!) I could hear the water.  That told me where DH had been going.  

I saw the water shooting out of the pipe in the wall.  It was coming out at least four feet and there was a big puddle on the floor.  I grabbed all the towels that we had downstairs and threw them at the puddle, then ran upstairs for more.  By this time the water was shut of as DH had reached the main valve.  After using every towel in the house and all the laundry that was in the hamper to try to sop up the water, we still had a large puddle.  I knew that our shop vacuum was set up for dry and not wet and it would be a disaster to use it.  Then I had a lightbulb moment.  We have a carpet shampoo machine.  Since it was designed for sucking up the wet solution out of the rug it made a dandy vacuum to suck up the water.  I had to dump the tank at least twice but I got all the water off the floor.

Luckily, the wood floor was not damaged since we got the water off so quickly.  That one pipe was the only one that was not controlled by the valve in the mechanical room.  I'm not sure why it was plumbed that way, but it is.  Ever since then, when we have to do some work on the plumbing, we just shut it off at the meter.  It is a lot easier to get to.

Normally, he would have had a bucket and some towels at the ready because there is always some water, but we were not expecting Old Faithful...